Fenix TK40, WOW what happened?

LightLearner

Newly Enlightened
Please click on the link that I provided in my post 3 of this thread. That link to another thread lists in detail all the things that can be checked in a TK40.

The first thing to do is determine where the problem is, in the tailcap switch, the head, or the battery carrier. The link that I provided will help narrow that down.

So I did the "paperclip test" (I used copper wire) and it didn't work... Right when I was about to give up, I read about the center post. My center post was loose. Tightened it up, and DONE!!!! There was light!!!!! I would never have thought. Apparently, the dropping loosened this post. Locoboy, you don't know how much I'd like to thank you. You basically saved me a $130 light. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

paulr

Flashaholic
Lightlearner, I can't speak for Fenix or wherever you bought the light from, but I think that if your DIY repair hadn't worked, you still could have gotten the light fixed under warranty, or at worst had to buy a replacement electronics module that would have been much less expensive than a whole new light. That's just for future reference and hopefully to help you breathe a little easier.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome LightLearner. :) There is a *lot* of information on the TK40 in these forums, but finding it can be a real pain! :D

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you're telling me that this is marketing nonsense?
Drops are funny things. I had a Mini Maglite LED that survived countless drops and knocks over the course of a two-year period to the point that I was convinced that it was indestructible. Then one day I went to place it in my belt holster, missed, and it dropped about 4-feet straight down onto the tail cap. The force was sufficient to dent the battery and crush the electronics inside the head. The poor thing never worked again.

All this is to say that while a light can survive dozens of drops and other abuses, that's no guarantee that it'll survive every drop. One drop at just the right (or wrong) angle is all it takes.

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
Great job guys! I will file this issue away in my brain vault in case mine does something similar. I have butter fingers, but have been good to it so far.

recDNA

Flashaholic
So I did the "paperclip test" (I used copper wire) and it didn't work... Right when I was about to give up, I read about the center post. My center post was loose. Tightened it up, and DONE!!!! There was light!!!!! I would never have thought. Apparently, the dropping loosened this post. Locoboy, you don't know how much I'd like to thank you. You basically saved me a $130 light. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

But if it was the little switch post it SHOULD have worked? Oh well...glad it's fixed. My TK40 has never failed me.