Fenix Torture Test

gnef

Enlightened
Do you have access to a shop press? It could be fun videotaping in high FPS how the flashlight deforms, and what fails first, and slow down the footage as it breaks. I would take the batteries out for this test though.

Burgess

Flashaholic
My thoughts are a bit more serious:

Get one of those Paint Can Shaker machines, found in Paint Stores.

Take an empty 1-gallon can, and put a small Lexan Window in the lid.

Insert flashlight, with switch turned On.

(may need to devise something to prevent this switching itself OFF)

Secure Lid on can, and turn Shaker Machine on.

Note the TIME

You can now tell if it's still working, while it's Running !

Perform test until light fails.

JulianP

Enlightened
Real world type abuse followed up by something spectacular.
Drop from heights a light would normally be used, run through the washing machine, drop off a bicycle at road speed, etc. Try exposing the light to chemicals.
If the light is still alive, shoot it or crush it at the end of testing.

Agree with this set I suggest more throwing:
1. Against a wall
2. Against a car windscreen / side window
3. Throw from a car at high speed against stationary car or dummy terrorist

Capolini

Banned
I thought of another one! Well actually it is a series of destructive measures!!

Put it in the washer. Then put it in the dryer for an hour on the highest heat. then put it in the freezer for Three weeks!!! If it still works, Toss it of the Space needle in Seattle, Wa.!!! :laughing: :mecry::huh:

Ciao,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

mmjsport

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up taking my Fenix TK11 for a swim yesterday and did some water tests. I first turned it on and dropped it in 8 feet of water for around 5-10 minutes. After taking it out and swimming with it, it continued to work. So I took it to the deepest part of the pool which is 14 feet deep and let it sit down there for around 5 minutes. After recovering it, it seemed to still be okay. I might do the same test with my TK40 and E11. If you have any questions, please ask.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up taking my Fenix TK11 for a swim yesterday and did some water tests. I first turned it on and dropped it in 8 feet of water for around 5-10 minutes. After taking it out and swimming with it, it continued to work. So I took it to the deepest part of the pool which is 14 feet deep and let it sit down there for around 5 minutes. After recovering it, it seemed to still be okay. I might do the same test with my TK40 and E11. If you have any questions, please ask.

Throw it back in the deepend & shoot it with a shotgun?

mmjsport

Newly Enlightened
Throw it back in the deepend & shoot it with a shotgun?

Don't confuse me with the OP, I'm not looking to kill them but I was the guy who said he should take it somewhere deeper than the 6 feet it's rated at. Since I went swimming yesterday, I'd figure I'd take one of my fenix lights and give it a try.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Some of this stuff is not very realistic, "shoot it with a shotgun and 00 Buck? Just a waste of a light, there just aluminum not ballistic plate steel, nothing learned there. :shakehead The washing machine is a good test I have a Quark that passed that one on accident. :thumbsup: Drop test, freezing, high heat test (150F - 200F ? at what point will it overheat or melt solder contacts), impact or shaking, running over with a vehicle. Those things are real world and have some value to a buyer. I could see my wife doing all those things to a light in the first year. Can it hold up to the average depth a person might dive down to retrieve an item using the light 5' 10' 15' 20', anything more than that I could not survive If I have my light in 50' to 100' of water the last thing I'm concerned about is the light.

Last edited:

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
whiteoakjoe, it might seem novel & wild but perhaps still realistic as far as TORTURE tests go.

These guys on youtube did it to an Olight M20 Warrior at the end of this torture test video. I subsequently bought a M20 Warrior shortly after watching that video but eventually gifted it to a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSPKuunCI

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't kill my tk11 no matter how many throws against concrete it took it keeps on ticking.

LOL that's good to hear. I love my TK11. I bought it earlier this year and honestly I baby the poop out of it :)

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't have many lights that I "use" hard. The only light that was dinged up a lot was my original LD20 Q5 which I finally lost *sniff* I loved that light. I kind of want to buy it again somewhere while I can still find it.

Anyway... it's a reassurance to me to know the TK11 will pretty much ALWAYS work as I use it gently, but know it could be run over by semi trucks and still be fine lol.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and as to what you should do to the TK22... apart from sending it to me unharmed....

Lay it on cement and get on a roof directly above it maybe 15 feet off the ground. Then squarely drop a cinder block or two right on it. The cinder block might break and disperse some of the energy that could go into the light so maybe if it still works after the first test use a steel 25 pound dumbbell.