Fenix's most underrated light

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has to be the TK30. I just don't understand why the TK40 got all the praise and attention and the TK30 never got any love around here, or at least very little. The TK30 was better for obvious reasons, using the superior battery format and also having the ability to shorten its body and just run 1 18650 or 2 123's. Both these lights time in the spotlight has passed though. Whats you guys vote for most underrated, under appreciated Fenix light since their release?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you are right here. I have TK30 and it's really still for me an impressive light, as well with 2 and 4 cells. Perfect tint, though a VERY slight greenish tint, not nearly close what to the new XP-G and XM-L emitters can provide.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
to me the TK30 is more functional being that it is slimmer and can run on CR123s which can sit around for 10 years and still be good.

I'm still not pulling the trigger yet on the TK30 because I am praying that they come out with a more updated version of one. If anyone hears anything LET ME KNOW! :)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the TK40 got all the praise and the TK30 didn't get enough. I swapped the emitter on my TK30 and put a warm MCE in it. The TK30 is a little outdated at this point with the XMLs coming out. It is the brightest light that I own and will be for a while.

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
Yup i notice this on this forum which i own a tk30 and a surefire m4/m6 my tk30 always stands next to my m4/m6 as my to go lights i know there's more bmrighter lights out there but these are the one's for me oorah simpfi marine when sh#%* hits the fan

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LD25 is a great light too. People still seem to be purchasing the LD20 while I think the LD25 is better is just about every way - better beam, better tint (neutral), forward clicky, better low level, more efficient, and more rugged.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has to be the TK30. I just don't understand why the TK40 got all the praise and attention and the TK30 never got any love around here, or at least very little. The TK30 was better for obvious reasons, using the superior battery format and also having the ability to shorten its body and just run 1 18650 or 2 123's. Both these lights time in the spotlight has passed though. Whats you guys vote for most underrated, under appreciated Fenix light since their release?

true... i think its because the tk40 uses AA cells. 8 or even 4 AA cells is very appealing to many, and lets not forgot certain places in the whole dont have the luxury of using lithium cells. also, at the time it really didnt have any competition.

there are an abundant of high powered lights using 2x18650. M1X, catapult, tiablo, olight M30, malkoff MD4.... the list goes on....
for myself and so many others, when considering purchasing a light of that size, "throw" is a big factor. which is why i passed on the tk30, and opted for the M1X, and catapult of that class.

just my 2 cents....

another fenix light that i think is underrated, and overlooked is the MC10, and the newer MC11.

I have found it to be extremely useful as my desk/night stand light.
i understand... its not the brightest, nor has the most desirable beam, or efficiency. but the adjustable angle head makes it do things that my ZL H501w cant.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
I agree the TK40 got all the praise and the TK30 didn't get enough. I swapped the emitter on my TK30 and put a warm MCE in it. The TK30 is a little outdated at this point with the XMLs coming out. It is the brightest light that I own and will be for a while.

Tyjo I saw somewhere on CPF there was a how to on swapping the emitters, do you have a link for that?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't there an issue with using 4xcr123 in the TK30? Something about losing a mode

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
I will agree with the TK 30 being underrated. I am a Police Officer and I use a TK 30 as my primary duty light, I have used it for about two years and I have dropped it, banged it against stuff, and generally abused it. It works every time and has never given even the slightest hint of giving up. I have one in the two cell configuration on my patrol rifle which has survived several callouts and classes. Lots of rounds fired and still works like a charm. One thing I have learned, when looking for an armed subject who just killed two people in a large rural ranch area... the more light the better. Once I started using it alot of the guys I work with were amazed at the performance for the price. 20-30 guys now have one and they love em. I hope fenix makes an updated version like the TK 41, I would buy it.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a thread before the crash that was "Whats the most underrated light." At the time I thought that the Fenix E05 was, but the light seems to get more credit now.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to the TK30 being (one of) the most under rated. I think part of it was to do with timing. The TK40 was released first, creating massive hype, shock, and awe. Then by the time they released the TK30, everyone had gotten used to the MC-E and it wasn't "revolutionary" enough to generate hype by that point.
Arguably, battery formats aside, the TK30 is the better light. Simpler interface (will always come on in the mode you left it, and easy to change back and forth), more compact/lighter, can be used in "short" or "long" configurations...

I bought my TK30 a while back, and was a bit disappointed there wasn't more info about it on CPF. I still prefer it over Fenix's current offerings, because I dislike the "two-button" design philosophy that Fenix is using for everything now. So for now I'm sticking to my TK30 and skipping the latest and greatest TK35, 41, etc etc even though they may be a bit brighter... but really, once you've hit 500+, are you really gonna need the extra two hundred lumens from the XM-L?? Probably not; it'll be brighter, but probably won't make any difference in real world usability/performance.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to the TK30 being (one of) the most under rated. I think part of it was to do with timing. The TK40 was released first, creating massive hype, shock, and awe. Then by the time they released the TK30, everyone had gotten used to the MC-E and it wasn't "revolutionary" enough to generate hype by that point.
Arguably, battery formats aside, the TK30 is the better light. Simpler interface (will always come on in the mode you left it, and easy to change back and forth), more compact/lighter, can be used in "short" or "long" configurations...

I bought my TK30 a while back, and was a bit disappointed there wasn't more info about it on CPF. I still prefer it over Fenix's current offerings, because I dislike the "two-button" design philosophy that Fenix is using for everything now. So for now I'm sticking to my TK30 and skipping the latest and greatest TK35, 41, etc etc even though they may be a bit brighter... but really, once you've hit 500+, are you really gonna need the extra two hundred lumens from the XM-L?? Probably not; it'll be brighter, but probably won't make any difference in real world usability/performance.
Nice post. I like the rule that ~1.4 times the lumens provides a perceivable difference, so an XML isn't going to make too much of a difference as far as perceivable brightness. I also like the rear clicky on the TK30. Its mechanical so there are no concerns about the light having parasitic drain, easily replaceable if switch problems occur, and its located at the tail so its easy to find and activate.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I would say that the TA20 is very underrated. There is very little on YouTube, the net and CPF on it. I own it and love it.

Munters

Newly Enlightened
Just like tre, I think the LD25 is most underrated. I would pick it over the LD20 anytime.

And I would love a TK35 with two side-buttons like the new/bigger TK models....

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the TK20?

The TK20 is a great light, my favorite LED, but it definetly isn't what we would consider "underrated or underappericated". The TK20 is one of the higher regarded Fenix models here on CPF.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the Fenix LD40. It was just overshadowed by everything else that Fenix came up with. Price point, for almost the same price of this light, you could get a brighter one running on more power. Now it has competition in the 400+ lumen range Jetbeam PA40.

I think the LD40 should just go down into memory lane...it was good, during its time, but nobody took too much notice on it.