• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Final REduction $39: Peak Brass 3 LED Micro Keychain Light custom

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't made a tiny light lately, been busy with big power mods.

That is one day, I found a new tiny but powerful battery that I'v never seen a light for: 1/3 N cell sized Lithium battery called CR 1/3N.
It's 3V & 160mAH similar capacity to 10280 li-ion but about 1/3 the length,
a bit fatter @ 12mm vs 10mm diameter of 10280. It's almost 1/2 the height of 10180 but 2x 10180 capacity. If you think 10180 is small, think again.

So, here it is, my latest cool brass micro keychain light creation.
Left is Orb raw 14250 & Right is 4Seven Mini Cr2.

img4624t.jpg

The N cell Shasta Has been cut down to half of the orginal size, re-joint with tail &
tail is modified so that it's as short as it can be but yet still has 4Seven mini CR2 style of key chain attachment & allow tail standing, where the Shasta wasn't able to do. This light is now pretty light, wight in at 1.2Oz, no longer a burdon to your keychain.

The light is 40 mm long, ~ 1,6".

The 3V battery drives the 3 led about 2x as bright as it used to be on N cell. (1.2v). This tiny lithium battery is not rechargable but it's cheap on ebay, shipped out of china for about $1 each (shipping included).
here is an example of a 8 pack. I got a 4 pack.
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-x-CR-1-3N-CR1...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead0cb73f

$49 shipped, including one 1/3 N sized Lithium Primary Cell to get you started.

USA only.

Don't worry about over driving it, I have run this light on 10280 prior to cut it & it appears to have a buck driver that can handle up to 4.2V, so 3v is no issue.

I am not peak expert, don't know old style vs. new style Shasta head, so here is a photo if you want to know:

img4628a.jpg

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Peak Brass 3 LED Micro Keychain Light custom

That's an old style head, does it have a letter stamped into the positive battery contact?

Cool mod!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

It used to say HP, but I have covered it up with a tiny solder spot to enhance the contact.

Yep, that's an old-style 3 LED high power head. Very cool, ma sha! So, how did you reattach the tail? Rethread or solder? The original Shasta with keychain body can tail stand - you just unscrew the keylug off.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, that's an old-style 3 LED high power head. Very cool, ma sha! So, how did you reattach the tail? Rethread or solder? The original Shasta with keychain body can tail stand - you just unscrew the keylug off.

Thanks.
The re-joining was done the same fashion as most of my cu-em-downs,
by bore out one piece & file down the other, then JB weld.

Examples done the same way:
Make your own Draco
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=250746

Nitecore D5 - Smart PD 14250
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...25#post3321725
DIY Cut Mag 1C SSR-50 with Deep SMO
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/275711

As for Shasta able to tail stand, I never really thought about take the "Butt Plug" out & leave it separate,
afraid of losing the "butt plug". Make more sense leave it on the key ring but then I wasn't really using it & didn't want an extra piece hanging on the key ring. So when you keep the whole light together, it won't tail stand.

Technically, due to that the tail standing part on original Shasta isn't the entire light, the expanded "qualification"
of tail standing based on Part of a light may leave room for other lights to claim tail standing by removal of tail cap.
So, I'd say that original Shasta was in between tail standing & non tail standing, I am kind of splitting hair now :devil:

Last edited:

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened

cool light ma sha. thoughts...have you tried to run an xpg off the 1/3 n batt? also, what led is the 3 led head? any chance they are nichia GS? any feel for lumens out?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

cool light ma sha. thoughts...have you tried to run an xpg off the 1/3 n batt? also, what led is the 3 led head? any chance they are nichia GS? any feel for lumens out?

Thanks David,

I haven't tried with XPG, I don't have any spec info on these batteries,
don't know if they are capable of pulling high amps.

I believe the Shasta 3 led was Nichia rated at 10 lumens total, so i couldn't be GS, as GS were rated as 10 lumens per each?

Driving them at 3V looks obviously brighter than running on N cell, with a very nice beam. Usually 5mm leds pulls 20ma each max, so at 60mA for 3, The light with this tiny battery should have about 3hr run time, which is quite long compares to most 10280 light with power LED which would only last 10-15 min on high.

Most key chain light get very light duty, My 10280/XPE R2 Key chain last 6 month between charge,
so at such usage rate, one battery on this light could last 3yrs for light key chain duty.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

bump..

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 20% off for this weekend: Peak Brass 3 LED Micro Keychain Light custom

bump..

calebra

Banned
Re: 20% off for this weekend: Peak Brass 3 LED Micro Keychain Light custom

oops, never mind, just saw shipping was USA only...:wave:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

PM sent.

PS, I think your suggestion on XPG it is a great idea
for a single Shasta host, a boost driver may be needed.