Finally, an end to those loud commercials!

jellydonut

Enlightened
I stopped watching TV years ago. The few shows worth watching are available on the internet, at my choosing of 'air time', commercial free.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Sony TV has a volume fuction you can activate so it does't get louder during commercials. Downside is that it also doesn't get louder during the films 'Action' scenes. I quite like it and it's easy to turn off if you are watching a DVD. It's called "Volume equaliser" or "normalisation" or something.

carrot

Flashaholic
I consume a lot of TV, although most of it is on streaming services such as Hulu and Netflix... so advertisements on over-the-air TV are actually a fun change of pace for me.

I like commercials, so one way or another it is not a concern of mine. Not all commercials are good, but the ones that are hilarious, or otherwise awesome make it worthwhile. It also helps that I have CPF open when the TV is on.

JustDave

Newly Enlightened
+1 on Tivo - I can barely watch live TV. I guess I miss some entertaining commercials... it's worth it to me.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, dynamic-range compression is reversible.

Not true - you can't restore what's not that there. I've seen some high-fi gear use algorithms to try and restore highly compressed pop recordings, but it has limits. The market though is unfortunately people listening to music through iPods and car steroes and not Magnepans :-( Audio buffs are flaming mad over this, although I've found that most of the music worth listening to is available in CD format in a non dynamically compressed state.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HUGE problem with loud commercials. I've gotten by this with a DVR by forwarding past the commercials but for everyone else, it WOULD be nice if they would stop doing it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My television already regulates the volume of commercials.

Some set-top boxes can do this also. The ones that can have an audio dynamic range adjustment that can be set for narrow--medium--wide. Setting it to 'narrow' reduces the overall range of all program material to bring it closer in line with the already heavily limited dynamic range of the commercials, making the volume more consistent.