flashlight for a game ranger

stephan van straaten

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I work as a game ranger from time to time. i have been looking for a flashlight to carry around, so not too big, but with a proper light as we would like to see something running at us before it hits us, an also use it as a general all purpose torch. We recently had a anty poaching unit on the farm and one of the guys had fenix tk 35 lights. not sure if it was the new ones, before this i only knew of maglite and led lenser, but these fenix's were awesome. i loved the wide spot, and good range, as well as the claimed runtime, and the feel of the thing, the price is not too bad either.

Price : not more than double the tk35
Size: max 6 cr123a batteries
i would prefer a longer beam rather tan a big flood

pls help me find a light smilar to the tk 35, preferably a longer beam, but close to that size.
i looked at the eagletac G25 c. It looks great as well especialy that you can extend the tube.
The thrunite tn31 looks like a monster but I'm not sure of the quality.

thanx in advance.

Last edited:

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I'm a park ranger and another ranger showed me his sunwayman tc20 and I'd say that's what I am going to use based on what I saw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Thrunite TN31 could work. It is larger then the TK35 but longer, round body, and has a larger head. The larger reflector means it can throw further but it has less runtime on max then the Tk35. Selfbuilt's have the TK35 at 22k lux at 1m while the TN31 has 112k lux at 1m. Here's the review, it also names other lights with good throw.

The Olight SR51 could also work, along with the Sunwayman V60C, and Crelant 7G9.

How much runtime would you like? Price range? Preferred batteries?

:welcome:

Streak

Enlightened
Hoe gaan dit Stephan?
If you work where I think you work then there are some suggestions I have for you.
Are you mainly in the plains or in the thicker bush?
As already asked what is your budget including shipping to you?
Totsiens.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
TR51-FL1-Summary1.gif

If you check the numbers listed above, you can see the comparison of similar sized lights. The higher lux will give you better throw since that means the beam's more concentrated.

Man! the TN31's such a b@da$$! hahaha... more than double the output of the other lights!

You should check out Saalbuster's mods to this light that brings the lux to 240,000!!! WTF, right? hahaha

Last edited:

stephan van straaten

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the quick replys. The runtime isn't that big of a deal as you can always switch to a lower setting. And also I don't know anything about batteries.

So far I'm looking at
Fenix tk 35
eagletac g25 c2
Swm m30 r
thrunite t31
Crelant 7g9

The eagletach is my favourite so far, any notes on this one?

Haai Jan
Ja jys reg. oor die area. Ons is baie in tzaneen, nogal digte bos, ma ek swot nou ekologie so ek gan na verskillende plekke.
Ek soek n ordentlike flits vir waneer ons rondloop. Jy ken seker die storie van, jy sien n oog reflekteer ma dan is die flits nie sterk genoeg om te sien an wat die oog behoort.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looking at numbers from this thread, the Eagletac has less throw (lower lux @ 1m) then the other lights on this thread, but it is a bit smaller then the Tk35, so it could be easier to carry.

18650 batteries are the same batteries used in most laptops, except not in packs. they are 18mm in diameter and 65mm long and cylindrical (first two numbers = diameter, second two = length, last number = shape or something). They usually offer good runtime for the size and can give lots of output as well. Since they are Li-ion batteries, they should be treated well to maintain performance and to keep them safe. You can get protected batteries with built in circuit to protect against overcharge, overdischarge, and shorts/high currents. Stick with good batteries (AW, Eagletac, etc.) and good chargers and you should be fine.

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Seems your mind is set on the ET. Great light. I like Thrunite TN-11S. There is also the Fenix TK 41. Keep it small. No need lugging a huge light around chasing poachers etc.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I know you said you wanted a light that wasn't too big so how about a custom XML light like those made by jayrob HERE as well as the regular 3D Maglite sized host he also makes cutdown (from a 2D host) sized lights he refers to as stubbies :thumbsup:

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if a T40CS is too big, but i have one, and it is a MONSTER. Perhaps my favorite light, and it definitely has some reach. :twothumbs

Streak

Enlightened
Dankie vir die inligting. I sent you a PM. Some great information here. I can give you some insight as to what will work best in those conditions.

Thanx for the quick replys. The runtime isn't that big of a deal as you can always switch to a lower setting. And also I don't know anything about batteries.

So far I'm looking at
Fenix tk 35
eagletac g25 c2
Swm m30 r
thrunite t31
Crelant 7g9

The eagletach is my favourite so far, any notes on this one?

Haai Jan
Ja jys reg. oor die area. Ons is baie in tzaneen, nogal digte bos, ma ek swot nou ekologie so ek gan na verskillende plekke.
Ek soek n ordentlike flits vir waneer ons rondloop. Jy ken seker die storie van, jy sien n oog reflekteer ma dan is die flits nie sterk genoeg om te sien an wat die oog behoort.

stephan van straaten

Newly Enlightened
thanks allot for all the help, I got awesome support from the people on this site.

Im strongly considering the crelant 7G9 now, its a perfect all rounder, and i think i saw it for $100 somewhere, but not sure about that. And then getting a single cell light for everyday carry.
Now i have to go start searching for that. ill read up a bit first and then ask opinions and advice again, but the ET d25c and SWM v11r have caught my eye.
something thats a single cr123a. close to $50 , and can put out 500 lumens.
thanx again

Streak

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the 7G9 needs 3 x 18650's. Most chargers only have slots to charge two batteries at a time.
If this is a problem then look at the crelant 7g5 v2 which I have been very happy with and which has huge throw.

I would make your second light also an 18650 light and then you only have to worry about one type of battery out there in the bush.
International Outdoor has good prices including shipping on the Crelant and other products. They have some great single 18650 lights as well.
You may even get away with just over $100 delivered for both lights.

thanks allot for all the help, I got awesome support from the people on this site.

Im strongly considering the crelant 7G9 now, its a perfect all rounder, and i think i saw it for $100 somewhere, but not sure about that. And then getting a single cell light for everyday carry.
Now i have to go start searching for that. ill read up a bit first and then ask opinions and advice again, but the ET d25c and SWM v11r have caught my eye.
something thats a single cr123a. close to $50 , and can put out 500 lumens.
thanx again

grap

Newly Enlightened
one of my favorite is ultrafire WF-500 3-cree, it's a great torch, extremely bright, great thrower in 3 LED mode, beam patter consistent with either 1,2 or 3 LEDs.

Link removed please read the banner at the top of the page

However links to Dealer's or Manufacturer's websites or other sellers outside of the CPF MarketPlace will NOT be permitted in this forum and such links stand to be removed by a moderator. Persistent violations of this policy may result in the loss of posting privileges.

Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
TN31 all the way if you want to dish out $220, otherwise id get a Fenix TK41. The Eagletac wont throw as far.