Flashlight for exploring..

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Olight M30.
For the TK40, you must rely on the batteries holder, if you change batteries and you drop the holder and it broke, your light is dead.

The Olight M30 is a good choice, it runs on RCR123's,18500's and 18650's.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Olight M30.
For the TK40, you must rely on the batteries holder, if you change batteries and you drop the holder and it broke, your light is dead.

Have you seen the TK40 battery holder? Unless you jump on it, it ain't gonna break. I doubt a simple drop (search TK40 torture test) will do anything other than get dirt on it.

Go the TK40 as you can use alkalines in a pinch if need be. Local corner stores don't sell 18650's.

carrot

Flashaholic
Have you seen the TK40 battery holder? Unless you jump on it, it ain't gonna break. I doubt a simple drop (search TK40 torture test) will do anything other than get dirt on it.

Go the TK40 as you can use alkalines in a pinch if need be. Local corner stores don't sell 18650's.
No, local corner stores don't sell 18650's but many sell 123's. Also, I don't think there's any LCS's inside caves. I could be wrong though.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that kind of environment, I would bring my RA twisty with a 18650 tube. Plenty bright, solid as a tank, ultra-reliable, great runtime, easy UI.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
LOL!! get a candy bar too if there is :D hee hee

Anyways, i think it's easier to carry a 2x 123/AA or 1x 18650 light and quickly clip on your gear to have both hands free when needed, less weight, easier to change batteries as well. But you could use the shoulder strap for the TK40...

joe1512

Enlightened
Remember, nobody is forcing you to use Turbo mode all the time with the TK40. It is nice to have the ability to crank out a lot of light when you need it, but it has 3 lower modes which work just fine. With 8 eneloops, you will have great runtime too.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some cavers on here that like the Fenix TK20. Good throw, built like a tank, two modes 150 lumens and 45 lumens, takes two AA batteries. Lately this has been my prefered light while in the field. I like taking all AA equipment with AA spares.

Bill

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
Those two are the only light's I'd take into a cave or mine, maybe an SR90 as well for backup.

Caving in a narrow spot would be quite hard with a bulky SR90, especially as a backup... Per definition, a backup should be something small and reliable that would be used if your primary light source fails...

chenko

Enlightened
Hello Mohammed, first of all let me say I find your explorations very exciting! :)

A powerful floody flashlight would help in lighting rooms and such, as I understand we are talking about exploration of "interiors" and caves.
Fenix TK30/40 type of lights would be nice I believe.

A powerful headlamp (I know you already have one) such as the Fenix HP10 could give you some good throw too, while a Zebralight H60 would blast a nice amount of pure-flood light on a 18650 cell, whether you use it with it's headband, clipped somewhere or handheld (very versatile).

Consider dedicating part of your budget on a set of smart charger + spare cells. You'll be glad to have spares for sure. :)

Good luck, please post your final decision when you make your mind! :wave: