Flashlight for my son

larryinpa

Newly Enlightened
My 10/yo son is going to sleep away camp for the first time. I would like to get him a quality flashlight, partly as a gift but also useful in the woods, bunk etc.

Any recommendations? I would like to keep the price to about $25.00 and something with a long battery life.

Thanks,

Larry

Delvance

Enlightened
Nuwai Q3 ? It's a little over 25 but can be had for under 30 i'm pretty sure. Runs on 1 cr23 cell and quite bright. LED means he won't be left in the dark when the battery is mostly drained.

Or minimag with a LED replacement ? Great runtime, tough and cheap.

Or a 2nd hand Fenix L2P off CPF's b/s/t ? Decent runtime and good quality.

Or you could see if Elektrolumens are still having specials on their blaster junior or XM-3 lights too!

Hope this helps.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Not sure at $25 bucks, but if you already have a 3-cell maglite (either 3C or 3D), consider the diamond LED module.

Also, the StreamLight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA or StreamLight PP Lux 3C models might be of interest, but are slightly higher than $25.

The Diamond drop-in module on 3 D cells will have the longest runtime of the three, but also be the largest. It will also have the brightest initial output but quickly drop within a few minutes to about the same levels as the PP Lux's and stay there for 11 hours or so. The SL PP Lux 3C will be around middle ground, and last about 7 hours, while the SL PP Lux 4AA will be the smallest, but have comparable brightness output, but only last about 3.5-4 hours.

I've linked all three to reviews at flashlightreviews.com, which is a great source to research these lights and many more :) best of luck in your purchase =)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think either the streamlight propolymer 4aa LUXEON or 3C LUXEON will fit what you want.

the 4aa is 23.95
the 3c is 30.95

3c for longer runtimes(around 2h 30mins more then 4aa)
4aa for the heck smaller size
both are waterproof but NOT DIVE RATED. rain won't harm it, neither will washing it.

review of : 4aa: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm
3c: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propoly_3c.htm

place to BUY online: http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

EDIT: slow typers have disavantages...

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
streamlight pp 4xAA luxeon

20 bux aint much for a light :D

but the streamlight PP 4xAA Luxeon is the best light for the money i have seen yet

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest to get him 2 lights for redundancy, If space is a constraint I would get 2 PT-20's one with a SMJLED for long runtime and another one with 14500 li-ion's and a PR-12 bulb for power, (bring extra 2cell bulbs and some AA's) it will be about $25-30 but you get 2 lights that are waterproof to diving depths, very rugged, come with lanyard, bright orange color so he won't loose them and pocketable.

HTH
AlexGT

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK 4AA eLED is a great light indeed. Most impressive is the full regulation out to and past 10 hours of constant brightness. Oh and it's a dive light so total waterproofness.

The Q3 is pretty small (easlity stolen) and takes 123 batteries. Very bright but the runtimes are not all that.

I love the idea of the SMJLED for a kid starting out. If you leave the light on for the entire camping trip it will still be shining when he gets home. Couple that with a sturdy water proof 2xD cell host and you have a recepie for success.

Avoid giving a 10 year old lithium Ion batteries in a waterproof light. You're begging for an incident. I like the idea of a headlamp but I'm sure the kid's will make fun of him for wearing one.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right carabine15!, altought protected Li-ions are safer I wouldn't give it to a Kid, go for the Eled!

Thanks
AlexGT

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The PT Attitude is a good light for a kid. Useful flood, long runtime, and waterproof. Also easy to pocket.

Geoff

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
The 3 plastic lights that are listed here seem like the best choices.

The question is which do you want more, brightness or runtime.

numbers (rounded)...............................throw/overall brightness/runtime (hours)

Princeton Tec Attittude==============6...../....4................./...150..
Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED=========14..../....9................./...10-80
Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon 4AA=====55..../....23................/...4.....

Mr_Light

Enlightened
IF you have a spare AA Maglite I would drop in a Nite-Ize 3LED upgrade and use that. In the next month or so Nite-Ize will be releasing their IQ switch with multi output levels, fun flasher modes, and the all important Auto-Off function which all parents will appreciate.

I would second the recommendations for the PR2 Based SMJLED (in a cheap 2C or 2D Light). The SL PP 4AA Lux is also tough to beat. If you buy any lights from FOX Int. I recommend get two or more to save on shipping.

wwglen

Enlightened
PR2 SMJLED

or

Minimag with SMJLED

or

Minimag with niteize

AND

Riverrock 2-AAA headlamp from target.

wwglen

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd suggest something small yet fairly bright. To me, that'd be the Inova X1, at Target for $20. Make sure to get the one with the reflector (looks shiny when you look down the front). Put a lanyard on it, and he can wear it around his neck or tie it to his wrist. It should have good battery life, and it's a very nice light. It's a good brightness-- bright enough to see where you're going at night, and dim enough for closeup work or reading.

greenLED

Flashaholic
My choice would be a minimag with Nite-Ize LED drop-in. Total $15, because you know he will lose it. :(

UK 4AA eLED would be fancier light, one you'd use after he's done camping.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like greenLED's answer - that way there is no pressure on him if he loses it. kids pick up on that kind of stuff.. have him go off and have fun, if the flashlight makes it back, you are ahead of the game..

jarobi

Enlightened
I agree with the X1 recommendation, but I'll chip in one that will be about 12 bucks. Look here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93397

He's continuing the sale through tomorrow. He had my light to me in about four days. Truly my opinion here, but the Nite Ize Mag 2AA upgrade has a pretty gross beam. The Nuwai 2xAAA in the link (forego the single AAA version) has a decent beam and a better one than the NiteIze IMO.

Here's the reviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_mag3led.htm

A little dab of lube on the Nuwai's threads makes it nice and smooth.

Regards,
Jim