Flashlights for kids

Cydonia

Enlightened
All depends on how "bright" the kids are. Pardon the pun. But really... when I was 8 or 9 (a typical geek nerd under construction!) Radio Shack was my favorite store, I had AA NiCd's, different bulb types, two of the old Duracell Durabeams, an awesome 3D Eveready rubber covered light with 3" reflector/head etc., For Christmas when I was 8 I got a red aluminum 2AA "clone" of the MiniMag - a Metalist Lumilite - that took stndard PR2 bulbs. I still have that light today and it blows away a stock incan MiniMag - tighter beam, better throw, and takes the good Xenon bulbs. But I never had a Maglite... man, I wish I had known about them! I'd go back in a time machine and give myself some 6C Mag's, a bunch of Xenon bulbs and more NiCd's :D

What's wrong with getting each a MiniMag? Pretty cheap. Or why not a bigger C Maglite? I guess they'll bash each other over the head like itchy and scratchy huh? :devil:

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
Cosmo, apparently I don't have good searching skills. Thank you for the links.

Robert, I had looked at those, as I own an L0D and like it a lot, and the run-time on the E01 is fabulous, but I think a single AAA-sized light is just too easy to lose. (Not that I want to give them big lights with multiple D cells that can be used for other purposes....)

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. Still looking at some of what is in the threadsCosmo sent.

The E01 is about the closest thing to what you want

GPB

Enlightened
The Nite Ize 1Watt with IQ switch on a minimag is a nice set up for a kid. Its got a blinking red light to help you find it in the dark, its reasonably bright and long lasting, and what makes it a great kid light is that it turns itself off after 15 minutes....plus you probably have a few minimags lying around.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at some of Princeton Tec and other dive light companies lights. I definately suggest big and plastic and they have a variety of colors so they don't mix their lights up:twak: (I'm getting flashbacks).

jayhackett03

Enlightened
my vote:
Princeton Tec Amp 1.0
2xAAA
$10 at Brightguy
http://princetontec.com/?q=node/114

Amp_1_binerclip.jpg

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
They recalled the Pirates of the Caribbean kid-light due to lead paint.

And they're not very good lights.

I second the Minimag-IQ-LED suggestion. Let your kids pick their favorite color, and show them how to put the stuff in?

loneranger

Newly Enlightened
My kids have Minimags with SMJLED drop-ins. They're pretty much indestructible, and the batteries last a long time. But it also depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids have Minimags with SMJLED drop-ins. They're pretty much indestructible, and the batteries last a long time. But it also depends on how much you're willing to spend.

This is the light my kids have and the batteries last forever. $14 for both the minimag and the smjled drop in it would be hard to find a better value for a kid proof light.

They love there headlamps as well. It allows them to play, read, ride scooters, etc... without having to hold a light or losing it.

danielo_d

Enlightened
How about the pair of Husky 1AA Flashlight packages. They were running around 5$ but dropped to around 3$ at Home Depot. Single AA and has decent runtime. And of course not extremely bright [sorta like me]. I believe they're running 1/2 watters.
Make sure you check them out as some have DOA switches.
But what do you expect for an aluminum 1 AA 1/2 watt flashlight that costs around a buck and a half?
I got 2 pairs of them and all four them worked fine. [Stocking stuffers for the kids.] Especially for my 7 year old daughter who keeps 'borrowing' my flashlights.
The only thing is they're pretty small, but they do have small lanyards.

Again, a little over a buck and a half each so get a few.

drawn

Newly Enlightened
Thought it might be helpful to update you all, since the kids have had the lights for three weeks now.

First of all, while I am new, I have read enough to know that one of the rules here is: when in doubt, buy 'em both. That's harder when people recommend so many, but I did pick two.

Secondly, I got better at searching and found this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129895 which didn't start out addressing my precise question, but did end up talking about lights for kids.

So, based on the numerous recommendations for a Minimag with drop-in, I ordered a couple of IQ switches with 1-watt drop-ins and converted Minimags that I had around but barely used.

At the same time, I ordered two of the PAL Safe-lights recommended on that other thread.

In the end, the PAL Safe-lights seemed better for my kids. Nothing to take apart and lose so Dad has to go buy another one, quieter when dropped, and the "glow mode" seemed cool.

Took the Minimags with IQ and drop-ins and put one in each car. Theoretically my wife has the Photon that Santa put in her stocking on her keychain at all times, but...

After three weeks, the kids still love their flashlights. They don't think the "glow mode" is as cool as I thought they would, but they like them. I like them because it appears they're pretty indestructible and dim enough that the battery will last a long time even when they forget to turn them off.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thought I'd revive this thread for a reason to show off my new little ones.

And never forget to "Teach Your Children Well"

SN850788.jpg

Geoff

mwong61

Newly Enlightened
I just gave my daughter my AA Mini-Mag.
I recently bought the 4Sevens Mini-AA2 which
has replaced the the MiniMag thats been living in my
briefcase for probably 15 years.
I toyed with the idea of upgrading the Mag with the Nite-Ize kit
but somehow the idea of spending more on the upgrade than
the light itself seems silly. I popped in a couple of fresh batteries
and gave it to my 9 yr old daughter and she's doing backflips she's
so happy.

Other than that I highly concur with the idea of the E01.
In fact that might be a stocking stuffer this year for my
2 boys. Virtually indestructible, runs forever on one battery
and they won't be blinding each other with it.........heh:)

Michael-

Greta

Flashaholic
In an effort to amuse a 2 year old at a party one evening, I gave her my ICON Rogue 1. She had no problem holding it in her wee hand and clicking it on and off many, many times while tearing around the place. It truly warmed my heart... :D ... I ended up having to let her take it home with her and the only way I was able to get it back was to replace it. I gave her my ICON Modus 1. Reports from her Dad are that she is never without it and it can take one hell of a beating. And of course the fact that it runs on a single AA is a huge plus! :twothumbs

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't forget the Gerber Recon; 1xAA LED with multiple colored lenses built-in, and not bright enough to blind anyone. A perennial kid favorite at <$20.

reconk.jpg