Flashlights with "parasitic drains"

Marduke

Flashaholic
General rule of thumb is lights with an MCU switch will have some small drain. Lights with traditional clicky switches will most likely not.

I haven't seen it spelled out explicitly, but just because a light has some user defined memory does NOT mean it necessarily has a parasitic drain. Most of these lights remember their user setting even with no battery installed.

Mikellen

Enlightened
According to post# 4, RA lights have a parasitic drain. Does this also include the RA Twisty or just the clicky versions.

Thanks.

Bushman5

Enlightened
i go thru batteries so quick (2, 3 4 times daily) that parasitic drain is not an issue. :nana:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of lights that have, as you describe, a "parasitic drain". It has been a total non-issue. Unless you plan to shove a battery in a light, and wait a year or two to use it, it shouldn't be a problem. If you use a light so infrequently, leave the battery out, or lock out the light if you can. To put this lights on some kind of black list, or avoid list, seems silly. Some of my favorite lights do this, Liteflux LF3XT, Nitecore EX10/D10, Zebralight H30, H60.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a light so infrequently, leave the battery out, or lock out the light if you can. To put this lights on some kind of black list, or avoid list, seems silly.
But it isn't always practical to keep the batteries outside the light.

I don't mind a light that puts a small load on the battery when "off" if it's a light I use on a regular basis and will be frequently changing/recharging the battery anyway. But lights I have stashed for emergencies tend to not get used for very long periods, and I won't even consider a light that can't truly be turned off for these cases.

Marduke

Flashaholic
But it isn't always practical to keep the batteries outside the light.

I don't mind a light that puts a small load on the battery when "off" if it's a light I use on a regular basis and will be frequently changing/recharging the battery anyway. But lights I have stashed for emergencies tend to not get used for very long periods, and I won't even consider a light that can't truly be turned off for these cases.

Any light in extended storage should always be stored separately from the cells.

Lights in emergency storage which must be kept in operational status are also usually KISS lights, so that anyone can use them at a moment's notice under duress without having to read an instruction manual first. That is most definitely NOT most of the aforementioned lights.

Either way, moot point.

Dan FO

Enlightened
According to post# 4, RA lights have a parasitic drain. Does this also include the RA Twisty or just the clicky versions.

Thanks.

Typically a twisty does not drain because when you turn it off you are breaking battery contact. This is what is making it turn off.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light in extended storage should always be stored separately from the cells.

Lights in emergency storage which must be kept in operational status are also usually KISS lights, so that anyone can use them at a moment's notice under duress without having to read an instruction manual first.
AFAIC, emergency storage is extended storage.

And I'd assume the point of this discussion is to determine which lights shouldn't be used for emergency storage because of the potential for draining the battery when "off". I consider the HDS/NovaTacs and maybe even Mr. Bulks KISS lights, but I wouldn't consider them for emergency lights because there is some drain on the battery (regardless of how small that drain actually is).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both. Due to the sprung contacts at both ends of the battery, you don't break the circuit in the Ra Twisty when you turn it "off".

Mikellen

Enlightened
I just purchased an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2.
Anyone know if this flashlight has a parasitic drain? (Don't know the correct term).

Thanks.

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
My HDS B42 has a 18650 tube. In about 3 weeks just sitting on the shelf the 18650 is to low to turn on the light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My HDS B42 has a 18650 tube. In about 3 weeks just sitting on the shelf the 18650 is to low to turn on the light.

Interesting. Drain should be in 1/100,000 of a volt range. Email, Henry about the excessive drain on your HDS. What voltage did you store it at?

Bill

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
It was fresh of the charger. I just loosen the tube when i store it and it is ok for now. If i get some time this weekend i will see if i can see what it is drawing. If the 18650 has only 1.1 ah of capacity then 3 weeks is 504 hours divided into 1.1ah is only .002ahs of drain to kill it. So it may not have a problem.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It was fresh of the charger. I just loosen the tube when i store it and it is ok for now. If i get some time this weekend i will see if i can see what it is drawing. If the 18650 has only 1.1 ah of capacity then 3 weeks is 504 hours divided into 1.1ah is only .002ahs of drain to kill it. So it may not have a problem.

A freshly charged 18650 will have between 2000-2200mAh. A good 17500 will have the 1.1 Ah. Should not have that high a drain with your HDS.

Bill

Norm

Retired Administrator
You should be able to put your HDS away for a number of years and not have the battery go flat.

I was searching for the HDS beacon run time test but cant find it, I think it is well over 12 months now.
Norm

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blackhawk Gladius has a parasitic drain. Fortunately, shelf life is on the order of several years, and the Gladius has a low battery indicator.

OpticsHQ's multifunction tailcap for the SureFire 6P series also drains batteries even when "off". Drain in this case is high. I'd estimate one month shelf life for 2xAW16340.

Mikellen

Enlightened
O.K. I now realize the RA Twisty has a "parasitic drain". Is there any way to lock out the head to break the circuit in order to stop the ever so slight current flow, and if so would this be practical, (would it be less water resistant?), or should I just accept the fact that this light has a "parasitic drain" and maybe will have to replace the battery more often.
I really like what I've read about this light and I am considering on purchasing one but I admittedly have a hang up (whether warranted or not) with "parasitic drain" type flashlights.

Thanks for any answers.

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't focus too much on the idea of parasitic drain. It is very, very low on most lights and if you carry your light at all then you will never be able to blame the parasitic drain for a dead battery. If you want to store your lights then obviously just take the battery out!

I was pretty sure the RA Twisty did not have parasitic drain, only the Clicky. Only lights with electronic clickies have parasitic drain.