FM radio interference from led power supply in car...

lightime

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

I am installing a few Cree Q5 LED's in an amplifier rack in my car. I bought some 700mA drivers and I am testing everything out now. As soon as I give power to the power supplies the FM radio sounds horrible. What can I do to try and fix this?

I read about using ferrite chokes but I am not sure where I would try installing them? (do I put them on the power cables to/from the power supplies, on the radio's rca cables to the amps, etc...)

Are there any 700mA (or so) power supplies that I could use that would not cause this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Guys,

I am installing a few Cree Q5 LED's in an amplifier rack in my car. I bought some 700mA drivers and I am testing everything out now. As soon as I give power to the power supplies the FM radio sounds horrible. What can I do to try and fix this?

I read about using ferrite chokes but I am not sure where I would try installing them? (do I put them on the power cables to/from the power supplies, on the radio's rca cables to the amps, etc...)

Are there any 700mA (or so) power supplies that I could use that would not cause this?

Thanks in advance!!!

That's easy; don't listen to the radio...what go's for radio programming today is sooooo borinnnnng compared to what it was like when I was growing up.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The interference is likely coming in through the power connections. You can try a clamp-on ferrite choke on the power leads to your LED driver. You might also want to invest in an interference filter for the power leads. They make these specifically to filter out alternator whine from a car radio. They usually contain a coil & capacitor combo.