Former uniform officer needs recommendation

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I've just recently returned to this forum. It's been about four years since my last post. Since that time, I've been out of patrol, and haven't really used a flashlight much (work only days now) except for tactical operations. I've realized that I need to upgrade my flashlight - Pelican M6. I purchased the excellent M6 on the advice of this forum more than four years ago. I also have the Surefire P6, Streamlight SL-20X (also bought four years ago), and an Arc (also bought four years ago). The Surefire is an overpriced dim piece of garbage (recent agency issue). The SL-20X no longer gets any time because it was carried more as another baton rather than a light source, although it was a very strong flashlight. The Arc is lost somewhere but I did see it a few months ago...

I've checked this forum for the past two hours and my head is about to explode. All this talk about Cree and Seoul and some long batteries. I'm not really sure what to get. I guess I need something that is similar in size to my Pelican or Surefire. I was thinking about the Ultrafires but it seems like that most of them are reverse clicky which is something i don't really want. Forward clicky or twist is better for me. Something that uses CR123A batteries would be great since my agency supplies them. I also wouldn't mind AA batteries since i have NiMHs.

I thought about the new Pelican 7060 but that is way too expensive and a bit too big. I'm looking for something that may fit in a leather holster that I have for the Pelican M6 and in the <$70 range.

Any ideas? Thanks!!! (sorry for the long post)

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You get free 123'S! Sweet, anyway go to Bugoutgear.com and get the Q5 drop in for the 6P. $50 It will kick out alot of lumens, it's very impressive! I try to upgrade a light long before I give up on it and buy a whole new thing to try and get used to.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire have a LED module for 6P now, and several others make drop in module for it as well, take a look at them perhaps. Or take a look at fenix T1 if you want a new light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ducati, :welcome: back. You're right LED lights have come a loooong way since I joined CPF.

So... what exactly are you going to use this new light for? That will help narrow the choices.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may appreciate your 6P again (for the first time?) if you get the Cree dropin and have someone put in a R2 bin Cree. About the brightest 6P around.

S

Silver Wings

retired LEO here. I'm very impressed with the Night-ops Gladius. I hope to get one soon. Check out this website.

http://night-ops.com/ledhandheld.html

I don't know how much you want to spend but this light should serve you well for many years.

be safe brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think a drop-in for the 6P is the way to go here as it will make use of a great 2xCR123 shell that you already have.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Take a look at some of the products from Wolf-Eyes (dealer section) as many of their lights will run on both rechargeables as well as 123 cells. If you read up on Wolf-Eyes lights also check out Lumens Factory who offers very nice lamp assemblies for Wolf-Eyes lights. Wolf-Eyes has both incandescent as well as Luxeon and a few higher cost HID versions.

If a bright triple luxeon is an option check out Peaks new First Responder. This light was responsible for changing my mind as far as luxeons and patrol go. It is really an incredible product and competes well with higher power incandescents. Do a search on my user name or check Peaks sub forum here for my beta testing of the First Responder complete with pics and beamshots.

Good luck and stay safe

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!!! Thanks for the prompt responses!!!

I guess the consensus here is to get the Fenix T1. Is this Fenix brighter than the Pelican 7060? The T1 is rated at 225 lumens while the Pelican is 130 (although I've seen reviewers write it's more like 180+). I guess I'm getting too picky since I only want to spend <$70. Also, is that clip removable?

As for the drop in, where do I purchase it, is it literally a drop-in where I just remove the older light housing, and how do I get this "R2 bin"? I've checked and came up with this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6076
which one do I get?

Is there a dropin for the Pelican M6 (I checked dealextreme and returned w/ neg. results)? I think I'd rather have a dropin for the Pelican since the 6P is not mine.

Thanks again for your help. You guys are great!!!

ps, to answer greenLED's question, this light will mainly be used for arrest and search warrant executions and to momentarily blind my instructors during tactical training because they love to cheat.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:caution:Give that T1 some time in others hands before you get out on the street and have it fail on you. For me it's too new to count on. It isn't even shipping yet. Let CPF'ers run them through their paces just to be sure. But hey it's your life.........

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!!!! Thanks for the prompt responses!!!

I guess the consensus here is to get the Fenix T1. Is this Fenix brighter than the Pelican 7060? The T1 is rated at 225 lumens while the Pelican is 130 (although I've seen reviewers write it's more like 180+). I guess I'm getting too picky since I only want to spend <$70. Also, is that clip removable?

As for the drop in, where do I purchase it, is it literally a drop-in where I just remove the older light housing, and how do I get this "R2 bin"? I've checked and came up with this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6076
which one do I get?

Is there a dropin for the Pelican M6 (I checked dealextreme and returned w/ neg. results)? I think I'd rather have a dropin for the Pelican since the 6P is not mine.

Thanks again for your help. You guys are great!!!

ps, to answer greenLED's question, this light will mainly be used for arrest and search warrant executions and to momentarily blind my instructors during tactical training because they love to cheat.

The T1 is not yet shipping. It looks like a sweet light although if I were betting my life on it I'd heed Sgt LEDs advice and wait.

The Pelican 7060 is nice but not overwhelmingly bright. I was disappointed in it when I got the chance to mess with it.

In the lumens per dollar spent category, the Fenix P3D premium is the best buy I think. I prefer simpler lights, although this one seems simple enough.

I'd also look at the Peak mentioned earlier. Not sure if it's actually "tactical", but it's a Peak, which means it's going to survive pretty much whatever you throw at it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my ambulance. Whether it's suitable for a cop is another matter and up to you.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
dont reverse the polarity when you use the drop in!

I bought a led drop in from Dealextreme, and I toasted it right away! I put it in my Dereelight which have the battery in the other direction... DOH!
So I havent got any now.. :(

But I have a 6P and the new SF kit, led plus tailcap which gives the SF functions like the Gladius!

Check the kit out! It fits your 6P! http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/Surefire-Accessories/ACC-DTC-R-KIT

it might not fit in a leather holster though...

BigD64

Enlightened
You didn't specify if your working in an urban enviroment or more rural. Also does your department sidearm have a light rail ? I carry a Surefire L4 and keep a Lumapower MRV Q5 in my trunk for outdoor work (much more throw) Deree light DBS (2 stage) would be good too. If your sidearm has a light rail the Surefire X300 is awesome (Just don't go looking for missing kids with it) . I work in a city enviroment. Dropin's for the 6P are good too. And most inportant if your not sure what to get ................BUY 'EM ALL.

IcantC

Enlightened
Easiest for you and cheapest route would be to buy a "quality" P60 LED drop in module.

See this sticky for details. Off hand the best seem to be the Malkoff drop in (malkoffdevices.com) the bugoutgear Q5 dropin and perhaps the Deree Q5 drop in. I am about to buy the Deree Q5 and will post back how it is.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764

How long do you plan to use the light? Otherwise add in an incandescent Surefire P61 or similar lamp. Problem is they last 20-40 mins. If you seek longer runtimes, go with a LED as mentioned above.

Stay safe.