• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

TheFraz

Enlightened
Mercy sakes alive, beautiful.
You care to tell us about the different color on the 5th flashlight head from the right?

Thank you :thumbsup: - that 5th light two-tone effect was actually just an anodizing experiment. A different lead path to that part, so it ended up getting a different dose of electricity. But I ended up really liking it. I'm not sure if replication will be possible yet.

I would also be interested in a tiny tank, I really like the 2 tone finish as well. Great job[emoji1690]

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm adding you to the list spread sheet (trying to get a bit more organized).

Great to hear that you are alright but sorry to hear about the family emergency. Hopefully everything is better now.

I sent you a pm about wanting a Tiny Tank, to get on the list.

All is well now, just one of those unavoidable things - been a bit of a rough year, but seems to be shaping up now.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you're OK and I hope things are better with your family issue.

Thank you and I hope to update more often. All is good now.

TinyTank
@Nightshade (your bare aluminum unit is ready to go after polishing).

No rush, when you are ready, I'm ready :) Just pm me. Hope you and yours are well.

I'll holler when we get back home and polish it up. Making more parts as we speak :)

TheFraz

Enlightened
Can one add a bit of thermal paste under the pcb for better heatsink?

Yes, it's no problem to add a bit of thermal paste. I put thermal paste on all shipped lights, but it's very easy to access under the LED now.

The heatsink is pretty much the entire light. The engine is all one piece with the LED mounted and pulled down into a bridge in the center that is part of the original chunk of aluminum from which it was milled. The piston-drive portion of the engine which is mounted on the underside also provides constant force to the LED pulling it into the heatsink. Heat transfer from there goes very easily through the body of the light and into the hand. I've been very pleased with the thermal performance of these lights - it's allowed us to use very low-forward-voltage LEDs without any trouble (or electronics).

nightshade

Enlightened
Thanks for the Tiny Tank! It certainly lives up to it's moniker. It has wonderfully low levels, perhaps lower than any I've owned or worked on. The low VF choice is perfect for me, I'm currently using a primary CR123. It's passed a 6 foot saltwater immersion activation test with no issues at all. The direct pressure system used on the QTC is genius. Simple, effective and highly durable. Sincere Kudos!

TheFraz

Enlightened
Thanks for the Tiny Tank! It certainly lives up to it's moniker. It has wonderfully low levels, perhaps lower than any I've owned or worked on. The low VF choice is perfect for me, I'm currently using a primary CR123. It's passed a 6 foot saltwater immersion activation test with no issues at all. The direct pressure system used on the QTC is genius. Simple, effective and highly durable. Sincere Kudos!

Thank you :D. Glad you seem to be liking it. I've never tried the light with a primary cr123....glad it has enough umph to work decently with that lower voltage. With a li-ion (I like the high-discharge versions) it should be up around 1000 lumens on high. I'll have to get a cr123 primary and see what the difference is. Also glad it held up to the saltwater! First test in saltwater for this model (that I know of). The waterproofing on this light should be pretty significant.

Thanks again!

-Fraz

JasperJones

Newly Enlightened
I'm making some right now - and should be able to get you one pretty quickly (most people on the list are waiting on the 18350 versions). I will update the list again soon. I will be able to significantly more orders this time.

Awesome, just let me know when to send money.

nightshade

Enlightened
Thank you :D. Glad you seem to be liking it. I've never tried the light with a primary cr123....glad it has enough umph to work decently with that lower voltage. With a li-ion (I like the high-discharge versions) it should be up around 1000 lumens on high. I'll have to get a cr123 primary and see what the difference is. Also glad it held up to the saltwater! First test in saltwater for this model (that I know of). The waterproofing on this light should be pretty significant.

Thanks again!

-Fraz

Thank you!
The world is your oyster with this design. Apply for patents, NOW.
I originally thought of adding a wafer CC board to this light, but in reality it would be a injustice.
You have come farther than many robotic engineers with the material and adjustable UI.
There's nothing keeping this design from being used with dual AA , 9 volt or other common batteries. Even simple 5mm diodes and a resistor(s) could be used efficiently.
My saltwater test was only 22 minutes long, with perhaps a dozen rotations between low and high.
In my current environment, if any of my belongings spend much time under 6 feet of salt water, I then have problems that a flashlight probably isn't going to address.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Thank you!
The world is your oyster with this design. Apply for patents, NOW.
I originally thought of adding a wafer CC board to this light, but in reality it would be a injustice.
You have come farther than many robotic engineers with the material and adjustable UI.
There's nothing keeping this design from being used with dual AA , 9 volt or other common batteries. Even simple 5mm diodes and a resistor(s) could be used efficiently.
My saltwater test was only 22 minutes long, with perhaps a dozen rotations between low and high.
In my current environment, if any of my belongings spend much time under 6 feet of salt water, I then have problems that a flashlight probably isn't going to address.

We got our patent through last year (ended up being a 3-year process...it was interesting). I probably should start including the patent # somewhere on the light. We also have a provisional patent on the 'wireless' design allowing the quick-change of existing LED boards.

Thank you :D. It really means a lot when people notice the design and internals. It has been probably more than 300 prototypes (minor and major design changes) at this point and countless notebooks full of scribbling to get here. Always just wanted to design a light that I would want to buy...and it has been very challenging getting it there.

Absolutely this light can be used with 3 x 1.5v standard cells. That is another battery tube option I would like to offer, just haven't had time yet.

I've always been curious how this design will hold up under saltwater. I've tested the first units (the design your light is based on) to 85 feet for 5 minutes in a lake nearby. And swimming with it for hours, but saltwater is definite a more hostile environment. I suspect and hope it should hold up just fine though.

Thanks again so much for the feedback! Any input I can get helps so much with the tweaking and upgrading we try to do every time we go to the shop.

nightshade

Enlightened
We got our patent through last year (ended up being a 3-year process...it was interesting). I probably should start including the patent # somewhere on the light. We also have a provisional patent on the 'wireless' design allowing the quick-change of existing LED boards.

Thank you :D. It really means a lot when people notice the design and internals. It has been probably more than 300 prototypes (minor and major design changes) at this point and countless notebooks full of scribbling to get here. Always just wanted to design a light that I would want to buy...and it has been very challenging getting it there.

Absolutely this light can be used with 3 x 1.5v standard cells. That is another battery tube option I would like to offer, just haven't had time yet.

I've always been curious how this design will hold up under saltwater. I've tested the first units (the design your light is based on) to 85 feet for 5 minutes in a lake nearby. And swimming with it for hours, but saltwater is definite a more hostile environment. I suspect and hope it should hold up just fine though.

Thanks again so much for the feedback! Any input I can get helps so much with the tweaking and upgrading we try to do every time we go to the shop.

Excellent to hear!! Thanks again for a great light! As I age (mid 50's) extreme tests take on a different meaning 🤣, what was a bad sprain at 19 is now a possible trip to the emergency room.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Update: Headed back home tomorrow to assemble parts. There will be 10 more going out, so I will contact the next people on the list and update it.

Also, the looks of the light have somewhat changed as we continue to try and polish the design. We're experimenting with aesthetics and finishes, so for now the lights will look somewhat like the pics below as they go out. From left to right are the Lumenite 18650, Tiny Nugget 18650, and Tiny Tank.

lWkqPpb.jpg

AesKNAd.jpg

Let me know what you think if you like/dislike or would like to see anything changed.

Thanks!
-Fraz

pilo7448

Enlightened
I like the finish.. I saw my name on the list but I can't find my comment, I'd like to confirm I'm in for the Tiny Tank!.. Ty

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the previous design with out the graded lines still be available? I think I prefer the previous design 😀