• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I know that my friend 😁. And yes 18650 or 21700 in "BR" would be an awesome light. Probably close to a pound but I would get one in a heartbeat. I really think this flashlight design is fantastic.It would be hard to fine a more simple,reliable, and rugged light. Not to mention user replaceable led boards. I use my tiny tank every day and it hasn't missed a beat. She runs pretty damn good a primary cell as well.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another size comparison of what I have on me...

MYx5wV0.jpg

HDS 4k XPL tac w/ HDSRB, HDS rot 2700K 219c, FrazLabs Gold Nugget, 18650 VTC5a, and Oveready bored/ cerakote SF C2 w/ Torchlab 219b sw40+ amber dropin

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! It's much darker already, though it did arrive with some light patina. I have barely put it down and I keep putting it in weird places (freezer, sink....)

I suspect that it's been just slowly patina-ing the whole time since creation. (not a complaint, just an observation!)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody found a way to break one of these yet? Mine just snickers at me when I drop it on the concrete at work. Really thought about running it over with a 17k telehandler just for science.

Trenchant

Newly Enlightened
Is this thread still active here or has it been continued elsewhere? There hasn't been a post in two weeks.

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
I just looked into these lights and I believe the Lumenite 21700 or the Tiny Nugget 21700 will be my next light, but I don't quite understand the difference between the two yet. Unfortunately, both are out of stock at the moment.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
My Tiny Tank is a good unit. It's finished well and very solid - heavy - and dense. I don't think it could be destroyed easily except for a very high G loading. Notice the word "destroyed", not damaged. This light laughs at "damage". Any damage would be cosmetic only.
It does, however, take some getting used to as the variable power depends on the state of compression of the thin QTC pad in the brass pill. Infinite low light levels are possible when you get a feel for adjusting the head twist.
I can do it one-handed only after a high carb meal.

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
It looks like they're out of stock on everything. Any word on when they will replenish their stock and are they still in business?

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
I've been running this just shy of 20 minutes and she has held 370+ lumens the whole time! Started around 390, went up to 430 around 2 minutes, and held since around 370. It's all hotter at 20 minutes. 330 lumens. Still holdable, very impressive!

edit: back up to 360 at 22minutes.. what?! great thermal regulation!

at 30 minutes we finally drop to 190lm

35min, 2.8V 65lm

38min, 30lm

40min 2.65V 20lm

Test stopped for sake of the cell, very cool for a single 18350 light!

Also, the moonlight mode on this that is possible is truly insane! you need to be in total darkness, with it right up to your eye!
Thanks so much for this, we really need to post more of this info! Also, glad you like the moonlight mode - it's one of my favorite features!!
The new design is much smaller. Been carrying mine in my watch pocket of my jeans " it fits fine". But I do like my larger 18650 model for use. As you say it's very substantial and easier to hold. But it's definitely not for edc.
I also like the larger battery options, as it can be difficult to twist the light 'off' if someone else really cranks it 'on'. The longer battery tube allows a better grip in my opinion. If it wasn't for tiny girl pockets, I'd carry an 21700 at all times.
Will the new, slim design be available in18650 size?
Yes, both the Slim Line and the Tiny Nugget Two will be available in all four battery sizes soon...
I'm really hoping some sort of BR version is offered in 18650 or 21700, what a fantabulous thing to hold that would be! I've been pestering them via email since signing up for this little nugget :)
In my world, Br is Bromine and we are NOT making anything out of the halogens!!

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Sorry it's been so long since we've posted - we have been diligently working on expanding our at-home shop, which takes time out of everything else for us. We will restock soon, and will answer any questions you have. Thanks so much for your patience!!