from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

bguy

Newly Enlightened
So, despite the little issues, I'd still like to get at least 1, maybe more. What are the odds someone can do a group buy of these in bulk without the extra plastic packaging (seems a waste)? I'd think someone could easily distribute a couple hundred here.

Monolith

Enlightened
Mr_Light said:
It appears the Permanent On function is there in the circuit, but not accessible using a single switch (if I'm reading the PDF spec sheets right).
An SWA sequence pattern can do it OR an SWC activation can do it. I guess I'm not seeing what makes you think a single switch can't turn it off.

I will caveat this by saying, I have no idea how the Nite switch will operate, but I do plan on harvesting the circuitry for other uses.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
I read the spec. and is said something to the effect of:

"pressing the SWA switch on then off and on again in 2 seconds will override the 7.5 min shutdown"

So you might have to 'double' click the switch to keep it on. But Nite Ize has altered it already, so who knows how it will operate.

wwglen

Enlightened
Melchior said:
I read the spec. and is said something to the effect of:

"pressing the SWA switch on then off and on again in 2 seconds will override the 7.5 min shutdown"

So you might have to 'double' click the switch to keep it on. But Nite Ize has altered it already, so who knows how it will operate.

Yes BUT the nitize module allows varrying levels of intensity. According to the spec that is controlled by SWB not SWA.

SWA and SWC control continious power on.

wwglen

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
A little off topic here,but I emaile those niteize fools twice for details on there mag light led upgrade,For such info as led type/wattage But have not gotten a response,What do you guys think those leds will be? pr 1 watters?

Cant wait for the Iq myself :) And there mag led's if there worth a crap..

Russ

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch can take 1 Amp easily and work between 0 - 8 volts... so... this means it can easily handle Lux III DD'd especially the K Binned ones...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
:( ....

Virendra,

The IQ Switch will be available in early April. We don't even have any samples at this time.

Thanks,

Christian @ NiteIze.com

Christian Moore, Customer Service Manager

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I have ordered 3 of these Nite eyez IQ switches from Tradingpostsupply.com.
the price was $6.33 each. Fortunately, they have a $15.00 minimum order so that was my excuse to get 3.

This is actually a pre-order since they say :awman: the expected ship date is April 15th.

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but this unit likely will not work in stock form for LED mods. On page three of the spec sheet it states:

1.1 Operation (Continue)
Due to the high threshold voltage of some LEDs it is advised that the AZB0152 is used in 3-wire mode (Fig1-
2D). The AZB0152 can be ordered with a mask selectable 3-wire interface, GND, PWR and LOAD (Fig1-
2D) providing the same functions as in 2-wire interface.

The way this item works is pretty clever, but not so good for any LED mod. It momentarily disconnects the bulb from the battery. During that brief interval, the device is powered up from the battery with the bulb acting as a resistor. It then reconnects the load. Repeat. Since all the leds cause high voltage drops, the circuit will likely not get enough residual voltage (bettery - Vf of LED) to operate, hence the need of a third connection. Unless one has an incredibly thin, but insulated wire to snake up the battery chamber, count this device out for LED users. I'm not sure how convertor boards will react - it depends on the circuit.

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
It is likely aimed at the general public who want a smarter incandescent flashlight. I don't see this thing too far because those who want a better light will likely prefer LED based ones.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
rayearth said:
It is likely aimed at the general public who want a smarter incandescent flashlight. I don't see this thing too far because those who want a better light will likely prefer LED based ones.

Well, there goes my $18.99! I can't believe the IQ switch won't work with LEDs. I will have absolutely no use for the 3 that I "pre ordered" if they don't.
Perhaps as stocking stuffers for my brothers in law next Christmas. If they kept the MiniMags I gave them last year. Somebody please tell us it ain't true.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
The packaging on their website has run times for the Nite Ize LED dropin with the IQ Switch, so it obviously works with their LED mod. Are you talking about Lux mods not working?

greenLED

Flashaholic
rayearth said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but this unit likely will not work in stock form for LED mods. On page three of the spec sheet it states:

:huh2: It works just fine with their own LED-drop ins, and the rep I spoke with at SHOT said it should be no different with the Opalec NewBeam.

The issue continues to be, though: will it work with Luxeon-based drop-ins such as the ones from the Shoppe, Lambda, or other custom sources? :shrug: I'll give up hope when I try it myself and it doesn't work.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That would be really stupid for them to limit it from working from various drop-in LED mods, given that their other products already cater to that modding market.

As greenLED keeps implying, the largest market for this will be people who mod the stock MiniMag, including their own nite-eze LED...which means it will work with at least some drop-in LED's. In any case, we will see soon....and there might even be a way to mod their switch.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess we will have to wait and see. I hoping it would be cool in my LSH-P. VDG

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Auto-Off feature is being removed!

The following is my email exchange with NiteIze about the Auto-Off timer that I personaly don't like.

Subject: Suggestion for NiteIze IQ switch

I realize your IQ switch isn't even for sale yet, but I just wanted to point out one little change that would expand the usefulness of this very handy product. If there is any way someone could disable the 14.5 minute Auto-Off timer many of us would be very happy. It seems kind of strange that you are introducing additional low power modes (giving more that 100 hours on a single set of batteries) which would make this the perfect electric candle in power outage type of situations, yet at the same time you introduce a non-bypassable 14.5 minute Auto-Off timer? Also the strobe modes would allow for a very handy signal or warning beacon which could run for more than 150 continuous hours, yet you force a 14.5 minute Auto-Off timer? I suspect you must have disabled this timer during any runtime tests since it would have required the Auto-Off timer to be reset over 600 times just for the Slow strobe test….. I suspect that their will be more discussion of this on the Candle Power Forums once these switches are available and people start running into this limitation, but I wanted to give you a heads up before you get inundated by complaints.

Robert Bullock (Known on CPF as Mr_Light)

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your interest in Nite Ize products. I hope you enjoyed viewing our new website. For your reference, we are removing the auto-off timer on the IQ switch. Your support of Nite Ize products is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I would be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Cari Allen

Nite Ize, Inc.
[email protected]
800-678-6483