from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it clicks... at $9 .. its gonna be a HIT in market...

who else has this kinda switch and simplicity .... :) and the price .. of course ;)

Dallas_Dave

Newly Enlightened
Augh, I thought I was done playing with my Mini M@g's... Who ever said "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" was wrong... apparently the mother of invention is a Flash-a-holic :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
the threads are metalic, and the same as the ones in a minimag (=kroll). Thus, it should fit in an LS clicky. As to whether it'll work properly, we're still :popcorn: Same applies to WayneY's sammies. :popcorn:

Monolith

Enlightened
Anyone know if the boards will be available by themselves or are they OE only?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
up to 8 volts and 1 amp

looks like it would work on my arc ls3

or any other 6 volt 8 watt or less light

kool

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this have a momentary feature, like partially depressed for momentary before clicking to a constant on setting?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The metal threads might have sold it for me, this may mean a metal body as well. Now, right when it was released they had a chart that described the runtimes not only for Stock/NI insert but also for the upcoming colored NI LEDS. The red had some insane runtimes, and the green and blue seemed to match up with white. This makes me trust the little LED in the button of this thing for power conservation. May rule it out as an EDC due to the blinking, but in an emergency situation or just a general blackout, that thing looks like it will make me feel a lot safer.

greenLED

Flashaholic
AlexSchira said:
This makes me trust the little LED in the button of this thing for power conservation. May rule it out as an EDC due to the blinking, but in an emergency situation or just a general blackout, that thing looks like it will make me feel a lot safer.

I forget the exact number of years (years!!!) the Nite-Ize rep said the red blinking LED would work - no worries about discharging the batteries on my part. Something I've forgotten to mention is that you actually have to twist the head of the minimag (as if turning it on) for the switch to work. Twist the head to the normal "off" position, the switch receives no power... no wasted batts. :naughty:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
...Genius...they even figured in long-term storage and low profile carry!
I have to admit, Nite Ize has me won over. I'm currently planning on buying all three color LEDS, a couple full size Mag drop-ins, a MM magnetic clip to keep my gear locker organized, and probably another Pock-its just for sport.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pretty psyched about the blinking LED. Good darkness location is hard to find.

I had an Arc , a Lionheart an HDS and a 4 dollar plastic flashlight from a grocery store that had a flashing red LED. Although the light from the plastic light wasn't that great, the flashing red LED is my favorite form of darkness location. Trits are great and if they weren't so easy to break I'd prefer them, until then, a frugal flashing secondary LED is the bees knees.

Last edited:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I just pray Lowe's will carry it, I have a gift card there and four and counting Mini Mags that would benefit from a few of these. If anyone has ever spent a night in a blackout, they'll know how hard it can be to turn off your light to sleep in a blacked out neighborhood. Sure, this is a nifty little gadget, this is the answer to my blackout/emergency prayers. A few of these combined with the colored LEDS I'm getting, I'll finally be happy with my emergency setup. Combined with the variable power options and strobes to preserve the batteries, these Mags I'm making may just keep this apartment lit for a few nights without changing batteries. And once I fine-tune this stock of rechargables I'm putting together, I'll feel even better off.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I forget the exact number of years (years!!!) the Nite-Ize rep said the red blinking LED would work - no worries about discharging the batteries on my part. Something I've forgotten to mention is that you actually have to twist the head of the minimag (as if turning it on) for the switch to work. Twist the head to the normal "off" position, the switch receives no power... no wasted batts. :naughty:

At first, I too was wondering the same question--whether the user could turn off the locator by choice. And now it seems like it is a non-issue, and a be-all end-all switch for all sammie users.

Definitely one of the most exciting MM accessory products of the year! Really looking forward to it. :wow: :rock:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED wrote: " you actually have to twist the head of the minimag (as if turning it on) for the switch to work. Twist the head to the normal "off" position, the switch receives no power... "

Unfortunately this defeats the advantage of a clicky -
one still needs to twist the head to turn ON.

If I keep the light at prefered focus and use the clicky -
that locator LED will always be ON.

So it's either use the advantage of the clicky with the locator LED ON,
or turn the locator LED OFF and revert back to having to twist the head.

It's not so much the worry of battery drain via the locator LED - but the fact that the light is always blinking - which is going to attract unwanted attention in some situations.

I do understand for a kept at home light for blackouts this would be ideal - but to carry the light around with it blinking is not.
Twisting the head off to defeat the LED means the MiniMag has just reverted back to being a twisty head -
and one might have the clicky set to OFF
so one also has to click the light on -
so a "two-stage" switch of the worst kind.......

EDIT to add - just remembered that carrying the MiniMag in its standard holster will basically cover up the blinking LED -
so this might not be such an issue for some.

However I am still interested in it for a kept at home light.

But will look for reports on its clicky feel/action - since the clicky tailswitch for their Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA has a terrible action/feel - please see that linked thread - posts #23 , #27 , #28 , #29 , #30 (all direct links to individual posts)

Note: I see on the Nite-Ize page on the IQ Switch it says "Shipping February '06"

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Unknown, the NiteIze IQ switch has a completely different button material and design than the tailswitch that comes with their LED drop-ins. They're two completely different animals. The IQ switch is made out of some kind of transparent material (?) and is really smooth to operate.

The blinking red LED is *tiny*, and the sides of the switch are covered (which allows tailstand and protects the switch) - I highly doubt the blinking red LED would attract attention in the dark, unless you were looking for it (as in a drawer, etc.). In addition, as you said, it'll most likely be covered by a hoslter.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
After looking at the spec sheets it looks like we may not be able to override the Auto-Off function. If that's true then I'm not going to be able to run these on low in candle mode like I had hoped..... :mecry:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mr_Light said:
After looking at the spec sheets it looks like we may not be able to override the Auto-Off function. If that's true then I'm not going to be able to run these on low in candle mode like I had hoped..... :mecry:

MrLight, the switch is programmed to blink an alert pattern before performing the Auto-off routine. Press the button after the alert blinking, and the 14.5 minute countdown sequence is reset.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I had hoped to use these as electric candles (on Low, Nite Ize LED) for all night, or days at a time during power outages. Resetting timers every 14.5 minutes wouldn't be convenient. It appears the Permanent On function is there in the circuit, but not accessible using a single switch (if I'm reading the PDF spec sheets right).

Latest posts