• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS - Onion Rings (SF A2 LED rings)

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Koala,
I just sent you an e-mail to your 'regular' e-mail address.

jfrosello

Newly Enlightened
As edited at the beginning of this thread (3rd post " It is not required to pick a order number now, just post your order and I will tend to it." here is my order again (previously OR 77 and 78):
2 x Onion Ring(no LEDs) - $21.00 =$ 42.00

5mm LEDs 20 Degrees, 3pcs per pack

1 x Red _______25,000mcd__$1.20pk =$ 2.20 (Mod LEDs with skirt and leads trimmed)

1 x UV 380-385nm $3.90pk =$ 4.90 (Mod LEDs with skirt and leads trimmed)

Shipping to Spain Regular Airmail + Insured = 13$

Total: 62,10 $ (BTW US $ or AU $ ?)

Thanking you for your work, best regards
JF Rosello

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear :twothumbs

OR-101
(1) onion ring - $21.00
(1 pk) warm white - $1.20
(1 pk) UV - $3.90
(2 pk) LEDs modded/trimmed - $2.00
Regular airmail - $3.50
TOTAL: $31.60

Thanks!
Robert

Hi Koala,

Unfortunately, I need to cancel my order/request.

Sorry,
Robert

strideredc

Enlightened
thanks koala,

1 onion ring, 1 pack of warm white leds, 1 regular shipping.

i make that $25.70?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working on a few jigs to speed up assembly and soldering. First jig holds the socket true and straight while I solder them, second jig holds the springs. Working on another adapter that holds the three LED together so I don't have to insert one by one while testing. Hopefully these will make my life easier and I could use my remaining time to work on related project.

BombTec

Newly Enlightened
I would like to place another order, please....

Two (2) Onion Rings @ $21/ea
Airmail shipping @ $3.50

Total $45.50

Let me know when,,,, Thanks...

springnr

Enlightened
I would like to place an order, please....

Two (2) Onion Rings @ $21/ea
Airmail shipping @ $3.50

Total $45.50
Also interested in leds if you have some in stock when the rings are ready.
Really appreciate your efforts. My A2 is still a favorite flash light

Let me know when,,,, Thanks...

tsl

Enlightened
For those with these rings, two questions ...

(1) Has anyone had the LEDs fall out of their sockets? I know that Koala said that it would be a possibility if the light took a hard fall, but I am just checking real world experience.

(2) Do you adjust the trimpot by hand or with a screwdriver?

Thanks!

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
The LEDs are seated very nicely with mine, no movement.
I use a trimpot adjustment tool that I have to adjust it, which is similar to a tiny screwdriver (I was glad to be able to use it again). An eyeglass screwdriver will work well, too.
Enjoy!

tsl

Enlightened
The LEDs are seated very nicely with mine, no movement.
I use a trimpot adjustment tool that I have to adjust it, which is similar to a tiny screwdriver (I was glad to be able to use it again). An eyeglass screwdriver will work well, too.
Enjoy!

Thanks. I've got some small screwdrivers which I can try. I am surprised that Koala did not say that a screwdriver was needed to adjust the trimpot.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume if you have a screwdriver small enough to remove the original rings, you should have a screwdriver that will do the trimpot. Anyway the trimpot is not meant to be 'played' with it has a limited cycle life so don't tune it like the radio knob.

With the new version, you shouldn't have to worry about little trimpots, everything will be digital. I dont know when I can get to start building it, there's a little bit more stability I have to tweak about, it detects low and high of the tailcap switch.

Last edited:

tsl

Enlightened
I assume if you have a screwdriver small enough to remove the original rings, you should have a screwdriver that will do the trimpot. Anyway the trimpot is not meant to be 'played' with it has a limited cycle life so don't tune it like the radio knob.

With the new version, you shouldn't have to worry about little trimpots, everything will be digital. I dont know when I can get to start building it, there's a little bit more stability I have to tweak about, it detects low and high of the tailcap switch.
Vincent, thanks. I know nothing about adjusting trimpots, hence my question before I started to fiddle with it. I read back through the "construction" thread ... I have the warm white and white LEDs, so I think I am just going to leave the trimpot in the default (medium) position and go from there.

In your installation instructions, positive is on the left side of the socket and negative on the right. Some people mentioned that they installed their LEDs in backwards. The LEDs I got from you were already trimmed. How do I tell positive in the LED itself?

Excited to hear that you have a new version in the works!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one of the original picture is missing showing the polarity but it is still in the PDF. Anyway, most if not all untrim LED has the longer lead positive/anode. Since the LED is trimmed, you can tell from the body. The lead that has smaller metal surface is the positive/anode. The other side which extends to the middle and houses the LED die is the negative.

Some LED has it reversed, such as the Red LED from me. It's no big deal if you got it wrong, nothing will happen to the LED or the IC driver on the Onion ring.

The next project I am working on is not quite the same so I try not to discuss it here, I will start a new thread when I am happy with the software.

Last edited: