funny story

cryway2

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I bought a streamlight microstream at a local store for 10.00. Its actually my first better flashlight. So as soon as it got dark we turned off all the house lights and started playing with it. My mom and sister were visiting. My mom always carries a flashlight (mostly for reading-it has about 3 lumens) and soon had hers out. It didn't take long for my four children to each get out their own flashlights. We wound up going into the front yard with all these flashlights (leaving all the house lights off). After about five minutes outside a big electric company truck pulled up wanting to know if we were the ones with the power outage. Umm, nope not us. The man looked at my dark house, all of us with flashlights and gave us a funny look. The first truck was soon joined by two more. Friends that live at the end of the street came down because they thought the truck in front of my house was an ambulance. That got us a fifth child who soon got a flashlight too. Then his mom says she has a flashlight on her keys and tries to get it to come on and stay on but its a squeeze light only. By this time my oldest daughter had gone back in and gotten her glow stick/flashlight so she now had two lights. So here we were 10 people with about 10 flashlights.the children were all running and yelling. Playing flashlight tag, hide and seek and whatever else children can think of to play at 9:30pm when they all of flashlights and freedom.;-) The electric company men were still searching for the source of the power outage. The neighbor from across the street comes out (minus a flashlight)to see what's going on. Apparently the utility trucks lights were hitting right on his bedroom window and woke him up. It all made for a rather interesting experience and fun with flashlights.

musicmagic

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty awesome (me has bad engrish today). I can't really think of a story to top that on the hilarity scale. My experiences with the power men (its over 9000!!) are pretty good, after Irene, we had a limb half attached to our tree, and the power guys were restoring and trimming trees along the power lines. I politely asked if the could spend a second and make a cut to get it off the tree. They were already wrapping up, but the man told his entire crew to wait, and made the cut. He even offered to chip it for us, but I declined (the had already been working all day and it was late). When I asked why he did it for us he simply said "Have you ever seen pay it forwards?". Faith in humanity restored. *end tangent*

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Topic: That's absolutely hilarious. It's awesome that you guys made such a fun night out of all of that. It's those little moments that your kids have the time of their lives doing absolutely nothing.. they don't forget that. Looks like you're going to need more lights :)

Off Topic: I don't have a similar story but I do have a "power" story that I'll make real fast.. I was a cop. Tornado hit the town. Power lines down everywhere. Trees as well. Also houses. Also everything else. Enter half witted news reporter. As I'm standing on the side walk going on 18 hours of being soaking wet and running on adrenaline she sets her news crew up almost right by me. As she is being recorded she walks over by me as she's talking into her microphone to the camera. She looks down, sees a fallen power line that has been split and starts to ponder. All the meanwhile I'm trying to generously tell her to go anywhere but near it.. She proceeds to bend down, ask me if it was live, then pick it up before I could answer. Here she is holding the end of a power line telling people all over the area how bad things are. I couldn't decide if I should run away before power kicked on or stare in amazement that she managed to put her shoes on right.

LGT

Enlightened
I'm a lineman for an electric company. Under the same scenario, I also would have stopped and asked if you had power. Usually a dark house and people outside with flashlights is a sign that the power is out. But after finding out that you were having no problems I would then look at all the kids running around with flashlights and thought "future flashaholics." It's nice to hear about people getting outside and having fun with flashlights.:)

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]After about five minutes outside a big electric company truck pulled up wanting to know if we were the ones with the power outage. Umm, nope not us. The man looked at my dark house, all of us with flashlights and gave us a funny look. [...]

:crackup:

Sounds like you have a good flashaholic neighborhood.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Topic: That's absolutely hilarious. It's awesome that you guys made such a fun night out of all of that. It's those little moments that your kids have the time of their lives doing absolutely nothing.. they don't forget that. Looks like you're going to need more lights :)

Off Topic: I don't have a similar story but I do have a "power" story that I'll make real fast.. I was a cop. Tornado hit the town. Power lines down everywhere. Trees as well. Also houses. Also everything else. Enter half witted news reporter. As I'm standing on the side walk going on 18 hours of being soaking wet and running on adrenaline she sets her news crew up almost right by me. As she is being recorded she walks over by me as she's talking into her microphone to the camera. She looks down, sees a fallen power line that has been split and starts to ponder. All the meanwhile I'm trying to generously tell her to go anywhere but near it.. She proceeds to bend down, ask me if it was live, then pick it up before I could answer. Here she is holding the end of a power line telling people all over the area how bad things are. I couldn't decide if I should run away before power kicked on or stare in amazement that she managed to put her shoes on right.

Yea Reporters will do that - they are typically intelligent people, but occassionally lacking in common sense
i am sometimes surprised at their lack of forethought

JJohn

Enlightened
Great story. I have one too. I'll make it short. I don't have a good flashaholic neighborhood.

It was about 11:30 pm and I was just getting ready for bed and instead of turning on the lights, I used a small light (LF2XT) to navigate around to lock the doors, shut some windows, and check on the kids. So after I am in bed for a few minutes, the police call my house and ask me to step out the front door with my hands empty and clearly in view. Two officers had assault rifles, two more had their hands on their sidearms as I open the front door. They even had a dog with them who went around to the back of my house. Bright lights were shined at me and flood lights lit up my whole back yard. It was pretty unnerving. They seemed rather dissapointed that I was not a thief, just a guy who uses a flashlight in his own home. We did get a good laugh at the whole thing later on, but I don't think I will forget what it feels like to have a gun aimed at you when you are only half awake. The police told me that a neighbor reported seeing a robber sneaking around my completely dark house using a flashlight.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. I have one too. I'll make it short. I don't have a good flashaholic neighborhood.

It was about 11:30 pm and I was just getting ready for bed and instead of turning on the lights, I used a small light (LF2XT) to navigate around to lock the doors, shut some windows, and check on the kids. So after I am in bed for a few minutes, the police call my house and ask me to step out the front door with my hands empty and clearly in view. Two officers had assault rifles, two more had their hands on their sidearms as I open the front door. They even had a dog with them who went around to the back of my house. Bright lights were shined at me and flood lights lit up my whole back yard. It was pretty unnerving. They seemed rather dissapointed that I was not a thief, just a guy who uses a flashlight in his own home. We did get a good laugh at the whole thing later on, but I don't think I will forget what it feels like to have a gun aimed at you when you are only half awake. The police told me that a neighbor reported seeing a robber sneaking around my completely dark house using a flashlight.

I wonder what flood lights they where using and if it's brighter than my current SureFire C2 :D

Poppy

Flashaholic
Similar story... A young man, who later became a friend of the family was stopped at a traffic light and gazed at the house he was raised in years before. He noticed that all the lights were out but someone was walking around on the second floor with a flashlight. Burglers? He sat there for a few minutes contemplating whether to call the police or not, then the lights came on.

It was one of those nights that I was playing "Zap" with flashlights and the kids. :)