G2 Clickie

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to Catlord18, I got my Garrity light yesterday.
And, running par with my luck lately, I was at Wal-Mart yesterday picking up the LOTR: Two Towers extended version and they had one of the Garrity/Ozark lights there when they didn't have any last week. Figures!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So, I did the G2 clickie mod last night. Smooth!!! I quite like it. The black retainer ring was a little tricky to get out but, that was the only thing. I also put the rubber boot on top of the SureFire rubber boot already on the G2. I don't know if that is too thick or not, but when I assembled everything back together, it has pushed the Garrity switch down into the body of the G2 where before, it was just sitting on top of the tube. Is that a problem.

Anyway, sweet mod and kudos to Chop for figuring this one up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM,
The batts should keep things equal out, but why two boots. Just use the Garrity boot. I've heard that it is superior to the Surefire boot anyway. I would think that having two boots would also lend itself to accidental activation. But maybe not.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, I've done this mod to all my G2's (black, yellow, OD) except for my newly acquired CPF G2 - I'm leaving that one alone and in the box! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped at WalMart on my way home from work tonight and bought one of the Garrity/Ozark Trail 2AA flashlights for $6.84. Took me about five minutes to dissasemble the tailcap with a small screwdriver and reassemble the switch into one of my G2's. Works great. For a little over $7 after tax, I now have a clickie switch for my G2, and I'll keep the two AA batteries and flashlight holster as a bonus. I may even salvage the two bulbs before I throw the rest of the light away.

It looks like I'll probably stop at Walmart again in the next day or two and pick up two more of the flashlights for clickie switches for my other G2's. As an added bonus, I can use the momentary-on switch from the G2 in a Surefire Z-21 twist-only tailswitch I picked up last year. It works on any of the 6P/9P line of products.

-Keith

Banshee

Enlightened
anyone have an extra Garrity I could buy from them..? I've tried two of the WalMarts locally to no avail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Paypal awaits anyone who may have a spare donor handy..

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one or two of those ozarks too, but I don't want to travel across the atlantic to get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
(hint, hint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Oh, do they sell them online somewhere?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my remaining two G2's switched over to clickies tonight. A couple of observations: care must be taken to insure that the switch isn't inserted too far in. It can be pushed in so far (either from over-zealous installation or frequent use) that you can barely make contact with the stock G2 rubber switch cover. I've had to adjust mine a time or two, and I'm careful now not to push the switch too hard.

Second observation: I threw my first Garrity/Ozark light away after removing the switch since it was rendered useless as a light at that point. Tonight when I was getting ready to throw my latest two away, I decided to cannibalize them for parts I might be able to use later. In addition to the batteries and holster, of course, I removed the bulbs and O-rings from each light, and the rubber grip too. The rubber grip with the finger ridges fits perfectly onto an AA MiniMag (I have several with LS or Opalec drop-ins), and prevents them from rolling, and provides a nice rubber grip as well. The switch, batteries, holster, and grip are well worth the $7 each for the lights.

-Keith

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I've been using this fix since October, it was my first mod an d really perfect!! Thanks to whoever pioneered this!! Works perfectly--- This is my nightstand light w/ P61, and about a month ago my baby girl pulled a portion of a bowl of soup from where my wife was prepairing it... it fell on her arm and shoulder, the paramedics came and they didn't have enough light, so I grabbed the nearest light, G2 w/ P61 and got them the light they needed, (they didn't have adequate flashlights, even under such stress, I was shocked! The Clickie made it easy to deploy and was reliable throughout the ordeal. My daughter is fine, but these things do happen, I still am upset at the fact that he paramedics were so ill-equipped--- but thay did a great job!!!

Filament

Newly Enlightened
Just did this mod (my first) and it went flawlessly! The click function is positive and smooth, don't really miss the momentary on-off either (for that I have my OTHER G2's), and feel much better about keeping this one in the car, knowing that it won't accidently turned on. Thanks again for this info!!

Banshee

Enlightened
BugLight is sending me one..and coincidentally I found a small cache of the Ozark Trail lights at a local WalMart. they must have restocked..anyhoo I purchased 4 (and there were another 4 left on the shelf)..but only need one of those for a future G2 purchase. Anyone intested in any of the other three Ozark Trail 2AA's drop me a PM.

Not only is the switch reusable, but the rubber grip should fit ather 2AA barrels too..so the light isnt a complete loss

I also have an email from Garrity offering me less than WalMart prices (plus freight) if I order direct from them so if there is interest in a GP of sorts..lemme know

davidra

Enlightened
My first try, and need some help. Got the boot and the ring out; pushed the clickie out through the top. The spring came off the bottom of the clickie. The spring has what I assume is a spare bulb in the middle of the spring mechanism which has two parts. How does the spring hook up to the bottom of the clickie? I assume I remove the spare bulb. Should I just cut the spring off midway, as it seems to have two separate "springs", one on each end with the spare in the middle....

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
To tell you the truth, it's been a while since I posted this, but I don't think I used the spring at all.

Can anyone comment?

davidra

Enlightened
I just tried it more carefully without the spring and it works! However, I can't tighten the end cap down all the way...the clickie only works with the end cap backed off a ways. Don't know if this is the way everybody is using it or not, but I really appreciate the help. I might have been misled, but some people earlier in this thread made a comment about the spring being too long, so I assumed the spring was used somehow.....

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
davidra,
I tried to answer your PM to me but it says you're not accepting PM's. Anyway, welcome to the forums and you don't have to use the stock spring or ANY spring except for the spring that's attached to the Garrity clickie that makes contact with the batteries. Carefully bend both contact tabs of the Garrity clickie out slightly and insert into the tube of the G2 until they are flush with the end of the tube and the clickie button is above the end of the tube. I have had no problems with the clickie being pushed further down the tube from use. Your tailcap SHOULD screw all the way down. If it doesn't, there's an obstruction of some kind in the way. Then just change batteries from the bezel end.

P.S. If you carefully bend the contact tabs on the Garrity clickie JUST RIGHT they will form "hooks" that won't allow the clickie to be pushed any further down the tube. Just be careful not to break them.

Latest posts