G2. How do you know good from bad

thermal guy

Flashaholic
With all the G2's for sale nowadays how can you spot a fake? I'm guessing the ones on other sites that come with cree led are probably fakes but is there anything that stands out to tell if it's a fake or not?

archimedes

Flashaholic
With all the G2's for sale nowadays how can you spot a fake? I'm guessing the ones on other sites that come with cree led are probably fakes but is there anything that stands out to tell if it's a fake or not?

The problem with posting this info openly, as with all other "clone" items, is that then those subtle changes get "fixed" in the next round and making it that much more difficult to differentiate in the future ... :sigh:

Price and provenance is probably nearly as good as knowing the exact details of what wasn't precisely replicated.

If it seems "too good to be true" and/or went through questionable sales channels ... yeah, it probably is :(

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I see. Ya that makes sense. Might be best to close this then. Your call. Tks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Amazon and eBay are the favorites for fakers to set up shop. Often the sellers name is a good giveaway. I got bogus items from a now defunct seller named "ejoy". I reported them to Amazon.

If you know the seller is reputable chances are they have the real items. Say back when Bulls Eye Worldwide was still open everybody knew they sold the real stuff be it at the little e or the big a.

eBay sellers state country of origin. A G2 listed as made in china is kinda obvious too.

The way I've avoided fakes is the second hand market. Gently used, sure but the genuine article the vast majority of the time. One guy recently asked about a so-called vintage Rayovac from eBay. The seller stated "US made" and a photo clearly showed "made in china" stamped on the tailcap. Supposedly a 1950's model was pretty authentic looking. Trouble is Rayovac didn't have lights built in china until the 90's.

Last edited: