G2 Nitrolon- The Unsung Hero

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 was my first SF. I bought it from Wilson Combat when I was sure that this was the only Surefire I needed. (BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!) Been with me for awhile now. Mine has the cheap and sleezy Benchmade knife clip that I attached (JB Weld gets honorable mention here). The original P60 just went out in it about a week ago despite all my previous abuse.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew I wasn't alone.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I keep it on my bedstand each nighs it comes out of my pocket, My 1 and 2 year old treat it as though it was their own, it goes in the shower and tub with them as well, thats how I keep it clean.
I am working on getting a custom light holder made that will accomidate my Gerber 400 and my L4, it will have an attachment for the G2, because frankly when it is not with me I fear the dark.
I go from house to house in my job, often my customers see this thing come out of my pocket and kinda chuckel and say "do you need a bigger light?" I always say "do you mean bigger or brighter?" It just takes one push of the button, Everytime it is the same reaction.. "wow".
I only wish it has a glass lens..

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the G2 for it price. I prefer metal lights overall, due to more pride of ownership my opinion says, but for a polymer light the G2 really feels quality. I have black, but I want tan too. Black color, tan color, and OD color look attractive, but yellow looks too bright for me. So, I think eventually I'll add tan ones and an OD one.

Performance excellent for their price and size.

I only wish that Surefire offered a polymer led conversion head that was made specifically for the G2, and ran at low power to avoid overheating. This would be awesome. Also, if the G2 was given LOTC (which should only raise the price a little), that would be good too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than the L4, this is a SF I like a lot. There's something about the ruggedness of its look or something...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2 is extra special, cos my g/f bought it for my birthday 2 yrs ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was the first sign she showed of supporting my addiction... err... hobby...

Oh, and its a great show-stopper too, let someone play with their M@gs, then whip out the little G2 and blow them all away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I added a Kroll to mine too, and it works even better now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I was impressed with the G2 which I handled once upon a time, I am far more interested in the G2Z for the following reasons:

1. Pyrex lens will not melt when using the P61 HOLA.
2. Combat grip.
3. Lock out tail cap.
4. Comes standard with a lanyard.

That said, I still have to say that the G2 is an incredible bargain. An entry level SureFire. Personally I think that the beam from a P60 is quite nice. Good amount of light, decent throw, and 1 hour runtime. And to get it all so cheaply is very cool.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 green Nitrolon flashlight was my first true flashlight. (Maglite does not count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

It was the light at the end of the tunnel that introduced me into the wonderful world of Flashaholicism...

-tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I added a Kroll to mine too, and it works even better now!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Any links on how to do this?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I added a Kroll to mine too, and it works even better now!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Any links on how to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

GreenLed, check out this link, I think it was the 1st one that started it all... there were a few more threads after this about the same topic too, sorry, can't find them all...

With mine, i folded a small piece of foil, just thick enough to wedge it btwn the Kroll where the spring part is exposed and the battery tube of the G2 at the tailend. You'll have to load the batteries from the front though, else the switch might drop out everytime you change batteries.

And there's another brand of flashlight, Garrity or Ozark I think that you can cannibalize the tailcap switch for a perfect fit in place of the G2 tailcap.

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dh515

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3,

Tacstar makes a Universal Barrel Mount that attaches their light or a similar one to a barrel. (Two-piece precision machined mounts fit firearms from .22 cal. to 12 gauge. (See size listing below). Mounts clamp on securely and easily). I'm using this mount with a 6P on a shotgun. Works pretty well. I used their remote pressure switch for that WTS 2000 to replace the tail cap on the 6P. Don't know if it will fit a G2. Here's a link (scroll down the page):

http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the ancestor of the G2, the 6P, as my second Surefire. At the same time a friend of mine brought in half a dozen G2s and added half a dozen over the past year (and he calls me the flashaholic.....oh ok, whatever, just because I bought the U2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

If you guys need Pyrex and a lockout, the 6P is the next logical step up. Of course I don't live in a place cold enough to warrant Nitrolon, here our problem is roasting to death (35degC, or way over 90F). Pyrex + LOTC + GM finish = the reasons why I paid more for the 6P.

The G2 is a great way to get all the essentials for a killer price though, and there are occasions when I wonder why I don't have one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Surprisingly it is NOT the lightest flashlight for its output power as I've sometimes heard it being claimed - at 4oz, it is lighter than the 5.1oz 6P, but the E2e beats it at 3.1oz with 60 lumens/75 min runtime. (I have an E2e-SG).

Steve C

Enlightened
I bought a G2 at the same time as my A2. It was an afterthought, of sorts, since the OD green color caught my eye, and the price was right.

Between the G2 and my ancient 6P, I prefer the latter because it is a bit smaller in diameter, and feels more substantial.

These continuing references to "nitrolon more comfortable than cold metal" have always mystified me. Dunno about you guys, but when its cold I'm wearing gloves... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I've since purchased a couple more G2s for "stash lights". Its perfect for sticking in a glove box or other infrequently-visited area where you're (or the wife or kids) unlikely to have one handy when needed.

Why a LOTC??? To my mind, the reason for this light is as an efficient, inexpensive "volkslight" for the masses and/or flashaholics who need a spare. A LOTC will add to the cost of the light.

Guess I'd better snarf up a few more of those $25-$28 G2s before the newer, more expensive version hits the street.

DaveT

Enlightened
Robban: The G2 is a bit shorter and lighter than the Pelican M6...the M6 is close in length to the TwinTask in the pic next to the G2.

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DaveT said:
Robban: The G2 is a bit shorter and lighter than the Pelican M6...the M6 is close in length to the TwinTask in the pic next to the G2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy but that's still "bulky" for me. Hell I don't even EDC my L4, which is a shame really. With a holster I think I might start doing that but... we'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'll eventually get a G2 anyways though. It just looks like it can take any and all abuse you throw at it which is very appealing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Would be nice to have a light that wouldn't give you a heart attack if you dropped it on the street hehe.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon,
I KNEW I wasn't the only one who mixed colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My black and yellow G2 looks great as does yours!