G2 Nitrolon- The Unsung Hero

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone who has both the G2 and the Brinkman Maxfire like to share which light they prefer and why? I have the Maxfire rechargeable ($25)and like it very much, but all this glowing talk about the G2 has my attention. I can start another thread if you'd prefer not to discuss this here.

Longbow

Enlightened
The G2 does it, and does it forever. Try the Bugoutgear 3 watt drop-in, G-R-E-A-T. Lock-out available for free if you have JB Weld or similiar.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:
Guess I'd better snarf up a few more of those $25-$28 G2s before the newer, more expensive version hits the street.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's okay to share, I'd like to know where to get a G2 for that price, I'm seeing $34 at the several web stores I checked.
For under $30 I'll give one a shot :)

Right now I'm using a $20 Brinkmann Maxfire, and lux output is almost the same as a G2 (and the maxfire came with primaries) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks,
Gabe

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
G2man said:
The G2 does it, and does it forever. Try the Bugoutgear 3 watt drop-in, G-R-E-A-T. Lock-out available for free if you have JB Weld or similiar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this drop in have a big effect on output? And fill me in on the JBweld thing.. I must know.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
I have a G2(blk) and love it as well. I want to find a shotgun mount for one.(Anyone know of one?)

[/ QUOTE ]KDOG, Caution! Even with a shock isolated bezel (assuming you add one. The stock G2 bezel isn't shock isolated), shotgun recoil on a G2 is worlds away from recoil on an AR-platform. And the batteries can still hit the back of the lamp. Al (Size15s) and I had a long discussion on this. I was planning on mounting one to the stock of my 12 gauge 870 Police and Al advised otherwise.

Best to use one of the dedicated weapon mounts IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Saves wear and tear in the long run and is made to do the job. I've played with a Wilson Combat 870 set up with the SF 618FA fore-end light and it's quality equipment. Well worth taking PB&J's to work for awhile to save up your pennies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

litho123

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I added a Kroll to mine too, and it works even better now!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Any links on how to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

GreenLed, check out this link, I think it was the 1st one that started it all... there were a few more threads after this about the same topic too, sorry, can't find them all...

With mine, i folded a small piece of foil, just thick enough to wedge it btwn the Kroll where the spring part is exposed and the battery tube of the G2 at the tailend. You'll have to load the batteries from the front though, else the switch might drop out everytime you change batteries.

And there's another brand of flashlight, Garrity or Ozark I think that you can cannibalize the tailcap switch for a perfect fit in place of the G2 tailcap.

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link for the Garrity clickie mod. At 6.84 plus tax (at Walmart)for the AA light, and less than 15 minutes to extract the clickie & install it in the G2, it makes for a cheap and easy mod to do.

E-mail me if you want the word.doc complete with pics from the thread.

Greg

fivebyfive

Enlightened
My G2 is my back up light. It has become very handy when I'm in a pinch. Glad it was there when I needed it the most.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:

Why a LOTC??? To my mind, the reason for this light is as an efficient, inexpensive "volkslight" for the masses and/or flashaholics who need a spare. A LOTC will add to the cost of the light.

Guess I'd better snarf up a few more of those $25-$28 G2s before the newer, more expensive version hits the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve_C,

Not sure if this refers to my earlier post about why I would want the G2Z over the G2 or not, but I'll comment as if that is the case:

I didn't say that the G2 should have a LOTC, or that it should have a pyrex lens. I agree with you. The G2 should be exactly what it is. I would not want SF to "improve" it if that increased the price.

I only said that I personally value the pyrex lens and LOTC of the G2Z enough for me to want to pay the extra money and get it instead. But that wouldn't be for a stash-it-in-the-glove-box kind of light. I don't really do that, although it's a fine strategy. Instead, I am always EDCing a light and I have spare batteries stashed in the glove box and my back pack.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I agreed with your conception of what the G2 is and should be.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
I didn't say that the G2 should have a LOTC, or that it should have a pyrex lens. I agree with you. The G2 should be exactly what it is. I would not want SF to "improve" it if that increased the price.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if there is a corresponding increase in MSRP but according to the Surefire 2005 Illumination Tools catalog the G2 now comes with a LOTC.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
[ QUOTE ]
js said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if there is a corresponding increase in MSRP but according to the Surefire 2005 Illumination Tools catalog the G2 now comes with a LOTC.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be interesting to see if there IS a corresponding MSRP increase. If not, then cool. I like LOTC's.