G2 or 6P

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
What are the differences in these to lights? Besides one is metal and the other is plastic. Is it worth the extra cost to get the 6p?

Thanks,
Darrell

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if you want the metal.. The G2 is really sweet, IMO, easy to hold in most any weather and tougher than nails..

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say get the metal one! It comes with standard pyrex lens and the G2 has lexan lens.

Just to throw a wrench in your buying process, have you checked the streamlight TL-2? Focusable, better throw and a spare bulb under the lamp base. ($34 shipped from amazon)

Welcome to CPF, hold on to your wallet

AlexGT

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the G2.

The Nitrolon body is very strong. Imo it feels more durable than your typical "plastic" flashlight. The G2 body endures wear and tear also. It will look newer much longer than the HAII 6P will.

As for the lense you can always spend a couple dollars and get a glass lense for a G2 if it bothers you that much, but chances are it won't.

carrot

Flashaholic
I say you can't go long with either. You can easily upgrade the 6P to a 9P with an A19 and P90, but the G2 is lighter and, being constructed of Nitrolon, will wear better. The metal body of the 6P is susceptible to dings and dents -- that won't happen with the G2. It's been said that dropping a 6P spells the end for the lamp assembly, but no problem with the G2 -- since I've only heard one report of this, I can't say either way whether it's true or not, but there is no distinct disadvantage to buying the G2 over the 6P. In fact, there are several advantages, those which I outlined above, and it is also a very nice light. But some people have a stigma against plastic lights, and I wouldn't blame them -- in general, plastic looks and feels "cheap;" however this is not so with Surefire's Nitrolon blend of fiberglass polymer.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I do have some of each. If it is real cold or real hot or I might drop it then the G2 is my pick. In the event the weather is just right??? I still might drop it so G2 wins I really wish they made a G3 and G4. Nitrolon is good stuff.
Topper :)

zulu45

Enlightened
I gotta cast my vote for the 6P. I've handled both, though I only own the 6P (for this reason) because if it's superior durability, and ease of upgrading.

But the G2 is a fine light, and definately lighter. I'd say it's more of a pricing, weight, accessories, and material issue. The G2 definately has the 6P beat when it comes ot price and weight, but the 6P has the G2 beat in the other two.

But personally, I love the 6P. I keep it as an EDC, sticking to the P60 for the good 1hr of bright light.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 G2's and they are bulletproof but now I am wanting a 6P also just to see how it holds up. I would just get one of each from OpticsHQ and you will not have to worry about picking the wrong one.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to CPF too.

SCblur

Enlightened
I have both, and favor the G2. Slightly smaller, the nitrolon feels very nice to me. I would say if you only have metal lights, round things out with a nitrolon G2. They are absolutely bomb proof. Like others said, the G2 will hold up to adverse weather and wear and tear. I don't think the lexan vs. pyrex lense is much of an incentive on a light in this category, personally, but that's just me. I prefer the feel and durability of the G2. Good luck, let us know which one you decide on.

Topper

Flashaholic*
zulu45, what upgrade do you meen? I am not aware of any toy er tool that will work on the 6P that I have not put on a G2 just wanting to know if I missed something.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2 w/120 lumen lamp great bang for the buck. the talicap on mine will turn on the light unless it's nearly removed, too loose for carry.
have you considered the Pelican M6?. it's metal, and can come with a MUCH nicer holster.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have a G2Z (same thing as a G2 only different) with a KL3 old style and my new one is on a yellow G2. I do have a L5 so hang on I will check on that one...Yep fits like a glove. The KT heads the T3 and SRTH also work just fine, everything I have works just fine EDIT> I meant stuff that fits on the P,D,C series not the M series ( M2 M3 MT3 M4 and M6) end EDIT<. I do not have one of the tailcaps with the pressure pad don't need one but I think it would work. Now Surefire may not list this stuff as options just because it is not Nitrolon and it don't look as good as when on a 6P but it will fit and work.
At least mine does.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Lots of sound replies here regarding your query. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

carrot

Flashaholic
I am almost certain that the KL3 will work on the G2. The KL5, I'm not sure. The newer A19, I believe will not work on the G2, but aftermarket 1-cell extenders may work.

Topper

Flashaholic*
carrot said:
I am almost certain that the KL3 will work on the G2. The KL5, I'm not sure. The newer A19, I believe will not work on the G2, but aftermarket 1-cell extenders may work.

I am sure of the KL3 and KL5 I admit I am not aware of a "new" A19 that will not, however you would still have the AN14 that will work of course you would need a spacer half the size of a 123 to use it in place of a A19. I have 4 or 5 A19's 2 of them HAIII all of them work on a G2 (not using them on G2's but they work) they may very well be "old ones" I better keep them. Where is our resident SF expert Al when you need him??? :)
Topper :huh2: :)

SCblur

Enlightened
The G2 and 6P are completely compatible and interchangeable for parts. You need only worry about aesthetics.

zulu45

Enlightened
Awesome, I didn't know that. Hehe, I think it would look pretty stupid, though, having the metal bezel and a polymer body...