Getting rid of Roaches

Ledean

Enlightened
Wow so many useful suggestions.
You guys are great.
By comparison a google search hardly gave me any results.
Things that i have to do that i hav'nt tried.
The ice cream bucket method(neat idea) and the sticky method.
I guess you guys have covered just about all methods known

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I think roaches will be a thing of the past once nanotechnology and micro-robotics takes off.

They just need to make small insect-like robots that can replicate by the millions as they hunt down roaches and use them as raw materials to make more roach-hunting robots.

Then once the plauge of scurrying insect vermin is gone, your home will be covered in a plauge of scurrying insect-like robo…

I gotta work on this idea some more.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Roach Motel...."They check in, but they don't check out!"

Zackerty's roach swimming pool of death sounds like a pretty good idea.

Zackerty

Enlightened
I must add....I used to live in Durban, South Africa, where roaches breed like,...well, roaches....

Here in New Zealand, I have seen the grand total of one! Dead!

Zackerty

Enlightened
I instruct survival methods to interested persons...

Roaches, after been removed from the ice cream pool of death, if placed in a frying pan, with about two tablespoons of butter, will be ready to eat, body and all, when the legs fall off by themselves...

cy

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
cy: Fipronil, is that toxic for pets/humans, I guess not as that front line is a pill right?
Zackerty: wow, that's a lot of roaches!
Frontline comes in drop form. you put dose on back of neck on dog's skin. lasts aprox. one month
farmers use fipronil on food crops

if that mexican restarant mentioned with roach infestation used fipronil, entire colony would have been destroyed.

forgot to add, not all Combat brand roach traps contain Filpronil. some use other less effective ingredients.

Fipronil is made by a French company with no generics available. Pricing is highly controled, meaning high.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frontline also comes in a spray gun....I think I know what to carry on my next cockroach-killing mission!

I don't like conventional insecticides because they stink (even the "can't smell it" ones), plus they leave chemicals behind. On the other hand I'm fine with isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle, because it evaporates double quick and what's what I use to clean up after smashing the roaches (immune-whatever, my Mags are still useful!)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandmother told me that Bodarc "Horse Apple" tree fruit would keep away all sorts of vermin including roaches. None of those trees near where I am now but it would be a slick way of handling them, no poison or immune problems.

Also is some seriously dense wood, second only to Iron Wood IIRC. They used cubes of it to pave the roads in her town of Paris, TX when she was young.

-LT

cy

Flashaholic
It's called Osage Orange around here (Tulsa) and plentiful. didn't know about anti-insect effect of fruits. we call em hedge apples and have always thought they are good for nothing.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd never heard of that name though I've seen Bodarc also written Bois d'Arc. IIRC she used to quarter them and put them on a saucer in various locations. The trees also have wicked thorns that will go through a radial tire easily. Also seen fence posts made from the stuff turn into trees; all in all a tough tree.

-LT

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey if i use roach bait will it just cause roaches to come in my home?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Bleach all surfaces and keep ALL FOOD in refrigerator or sealed in plastic or metal containers. Unlike ants, roaches carry diseases and pesticides don't get rid of them unless you get rid of their food sources first.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont have roaches i just want to keep it that way

Raggie33, I don't know if you live in a mobile home or not, but if you do, roaches are all part of the mobile home experience.

Seriously though, borax is a non toxic ( yes it is I've drank so much one time I sweated it out onto a dark shirt.) alternative and it is sloooow about kicking in (1-3 months), but when it does it kills better and longer than anything I've ever used. It's messy and dusty, but if you're desperate you have to take the negatives with the positives.
I'm glad you don't have any yet.
I agree with what 1313 and ledbetter said- good advice indeed. Roach infestations usually don't just happen from scratch in my experience. They come from somewhere else.....a neighbor that just sprayed for roaches and they vacated that place and went somewhere else, or a roach or two could hitch hike on something you bring into your home. It only takes one pregnant female to infest. Even if you kill her- if you don't destroy the egg sack they can still infest.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOPE !

Not here. When bucking the establishment's claims of hazardous behavior you'll need far more documentation, and possibly full acceptance of liability.
Post removed. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator: