Getting rid of Roaches

adnj

Enlightened
Use pyriproxyfen, an insect growth regulator. It is nontoxic to the point of being an additive to potable water to prevent mosquito breeding.

I mix pyriproxyfen with a pyrethroid insecticide for immediate knockdown and juvenile growth control. Spray it in a band outside of the building to act as a barrier if you wish.

Pyrethroids are generally safe but are toxic to felines.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Pyrethroids are generally safe but are toxic to felines.
So if you have stray cats don't use it outside. And obviously don't use it inside if you have pet cats.

Best answer to roaches is to keep them from establishing themselves to begin with. Carefully check all boxes you get. Ideally open them outside. Check bags when you go to stores. Put food that comes in boxes without plastic liners (i.e. pasta and sometimes rice) into jars. When we lived in housing project we had a big roach problem from our downstairs neighbors. Besides the measures I mentioned, we also put steel wool around all the steam pipes. At least that mostly controlled the problem so my mother didn't have to stay up all night spraying and killing roaches. I wish I had video of that. Set to the music from Starship Troopers it would be perfect!

Just had roaches once since living in a private home. Next door had a bad infestation about 25 years ago. A few crawled across the driveway and came in, but never established themselves. Disgusting things. :eek: Can't stand them.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One night down Louisiana way in the 70's, I woke up to the sound of chewing. Turns out a mouse was eating one of those big cockroaches that can fly and live in pine trees.

adnj

Enlightened
So if you have stray cats don't use it outside. And obviously don't use it inside if you have pet cats.

Best answer to roaches is to keep them from establishing themselves to begin with. Carefully check all boxes you get. Ideally open them outside. Check bags when you go to stores. Put food that comes in boxes without plastic liners (i.e. pasta and sometimes rice) into jars. When we lived in housing project we had a big roach problem from our downstairs neighbors. Besides the measures I mentioned, we also put steel wool around all the steam pipes. At least that mostly controlled the problem so my mother didn't have to stay up all night spraying and killing roaches. I wish I had video of that. Set to the music from Starship Troopers it would be perfect!

Just had roaches once since living in a private home. Next door had a bad infestation about 25 years ago. A few crawled across the driveway and came in, but never established themselves. Disgusting things. :eek: Can't stand them.

In recommended concentrations, a cat would need to inhale or drink the liquid for the pyrethroid to be very toxic. If you use it in your home, cage the cat or remove it for four hours so that spray is dry.

Almost every can of bug spray that you can buy contains pyrethroid insecticides. This is the same family chemicals that are used to make insect repellent clothing.

What are Pyrethroids?

Pyrethroids are synthetic insecticides that share some similarities with natural pyrethrins. There are more than 1,000 different pyrethroids in use today, though less than a dozen are available in the United States. Pyrethroids can be found in many types of products such as pet sprays, pet shampoos, human head lice treatments, topical mosquito repellents and of course insecticide sprays for homes, farms, and businesses.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk