Gladius or SF L5 for SD?

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
I have owned both lights and used them for LE work on a daily basis. I carry them in a holster on the belt so I cannot attest to the pocket carry. I would (and did) pick the Gladius over the L5 due to the features.

Boltgun

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Eric242 said:
TAD TIC, available at tadgear.com. If you consider your flashlight a possible impact weapon you could enhance that "feature" big time with that TIC.
I know TadGear has cool stuff, but their web site is a nightmare. Since there is no apparent search function, could you provide any more hints about this item? Is there a brand (besides 'Tad') or a category I should wade through? Thanks!

ChristophW

Newly Enlightened
Just my little thing for this.

Go for the gladius. There are protected rechargeable batteries
C123 which work on full power for about 40min. I get these here in germany from miraclestore. I have one set in the flashlight and one set for bonus in pocket. And the BEST is : NO FLICKERING, only after the runtime for about 4 times and than the light is off, no dimming or so, instant off.
For me is this no problem.

The thing with the flashlight in the pocket and the locked tailcap:

in my oppinion its more difficult and time consuming to get the light out of pocket, than to unlock the tailcap, so the locking feature is (for me) really great thing and not a problem.
If i go at night with dog around the town i take the lanyard strap around my neck, and sometimes the really great holster.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gladius doesn't have to be any more complicated than a Surefire. If you leave it in the 'momentary' setting it will do exactly what any SF light with a momentary tailcap switch will do. If you want to use the other two settings, you can switch it to do so, but for most defensive use it is no different than a SF.

To amplify the battery comments above, if you have trouble with the tailcap after a couple of repetitions, you probably shouldn't be trying to do more complicated tasks, either...especially with deadly force tools. It is really not an issue.