Golston 10W LED

thefish

Enlightened
Anyone tried the new Golston 10W LED yet? I just saw it for sale in a shop for $30 USD and I am wondering how well it works (they were all sealed in packages so I could not try it ). Anyway I have the 7W Golston and I have a feeling the 10W is probably the same deal but with maybe in direct drive or with a very very low resistance resistor...

UPDATE:
I have decided I will try to photograph one of these bad boys, review it (if possible), and add it to www.siliconlite.com so stay tuned (should be up before the weekend is over). I will also be hosting a group buy for you all (at the best deal price I can get). The web store will have the normal price, but you all are the VIP's of the flashlight world :)

Listing those who expressed interest:
  1. FirstDsent
  2. Refractrfractal
  3. jclarksnakes
  4. helios
Please confirm you are really interested. Also what price point are we shooting for? As I said I have found them currently for $30USD if I pick them up directly here of course I will have to add in shipping. If we can order more should be able to bargin a better price.

Last edited:

Malfuntion

Newly Enlightened
Strange, I´ve heard nothing about a 10W Golston but since I´m very fond of the 7w type it´s sounds nice that an even more powerfull light is on the way.

but the only hit on google for "golston 10w" is this thread...

thefish

Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
It would be a riot if the Chinese had managed to counterfeit a K2 emitter and get it into the market before Luxeon!

Bernie

Well the same shop also had a Ultrafire 9W "Luxeon" flashlight that I could try and it did totally crush the Golston 7W they had their I compared it to. I took the head off and the LED inside did say lumileds on it...

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
What shop did you see the 10W in? I'm always looking for local sources here in So Cal.

Thanks!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
It would be a riot if the Chinese had managed to counterfeit a K2 emitter and get it into the market before Luxeon!

Bernie

Boy, if that really happened that would support my hypothesis that there is some authorized intellectual and proprietary collusion occurring between Phillips/Lumileds and Chinese manufactures!

FirstDsent

Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
What shop did you see the 10W in? I'm always looking for local sources here in So Cal.

Thanks!
Seriously thefish, don't post a teaser like that without giving us a link, or a store name. You'll drive CPFers nuts. Someone posted to one of the Golston 7W threads telling us to anticipate both the "9W" and the "10W". Since the 7W isn't really 7 Watts, the names should only suggest relative output, not actual power.

Thanks,
Bernie

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
thefish wrote: "Anyone tried the new Golston 10W LED yet? I just saw it for sale in a shop for $30 USD and I was wondering how well it works (they were all sealed in packages so I could not try it ). Anyway I have the 7W Golston and I have a feeling the 10W is probably the same deal but with maybe in direct drive or with a very very low resistance resistor..."

Many thanks for the interesting development.

Someone wrote back when we were discussing the 7w Golston - although a HIGHER wattage/power rating may seem impressive - it is the actual light output we should be concerned with.

Most already know at higher power levels LEDs become less efficient - so driving a 3w Lux or clone to 10watts might not gain that much more brightness - ie: UNlikely to be 3.3x as bright.

Does this 10watt light use 2x CR123A primary batteries? These are rated at a nominal 1500mAh at 3.0V. This is 4.5watt-hours at 100% efficiency - so 2x would be 9watt-hours - this means the maximum possible runtime if the 10watt rating is accurate has to be 0.9 hours = 54 minutes or less......

thefish wrote: "I took the head off and the LED inside did say lumileds on it..."

There has been some discussion about this on CPF with photos showing that often "clones" do have Lumileds on the "star" - but no bin marking on the back.....

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:

Not another mumbo jumbo overdriven crappy Flashlight with false claims..
Does it ever stop?

Sheesh..

Benny

thefish

Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
Seriously thefish, don't post a teaser like that without giving us a link, or a store name. You'll drive CPFers nuts. Someone posted to one of the Golston 7W threads telling us to anticipate both the "9W" and the "10W". Since the 7W isn't really 7 Watts, the names should only suggest relative output, not actual power.

Thanks,
Bernie

Well I would give you all a link but really I cant because I found it in Hong Kong... I am still going to be in Hong Kong for about 3 more weeks before back home to California. I do however have a standing "buisness" relationship with the distributer/factory so even after I am back home to CA I can get stuff for you all.

Check my sig for my web page, you can see I do sell interesting Chinese lights... If we get a few people maybe I can get a better price on them too... :). After learning from my past experences here I dont want to buy any and hold them in stock because I am afraid I would just get stuck with a large pile of these things... however if anyone can seriously confirm a purchase I can get them.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
thefish said:
Well I would give you all a link but really I cant because I found it in Hong Kong... I am still going to be in Hong Kong for about 3 more weeks before back home to California. I do however have a standing "buisness" relationship with the distributer/factory so even after I am back home to CA I can get stuff for you all.

Check my sig for my web page, you can see I do sell interesting Chinese lights... If we get a few people maybe I can get a better price on them too... :). After learning from my past experences here I dont want to buy any and hold them in stock because I am afraid I would just get stuck with a large pile of these things... however if anyone can seriously confirm a purchase I can get them.
Fill your suitcase full of them and host a "group buy"!

Bernie

FirstDsent

Enlightened
MorpheusT1 said:
:ohgeez:

Not another mumbo jumbo overdriven crappy Flashlight with false claims..Does it ever stop?

Sheesh..
Benny
Don't knock it until you've tried it. The "Golston 7W" family walks the walk in my opinon. I consider it one of the best values in a 2-cell LED. Unmatched for the price! You'd be surprised at the quality too. This doesn't go for all inexpensive LEDs, just this one.

Bernie

Illum

Flashaholic
It sounds like two things when i see the title...

Way way overclocked...we're talkin a Lux V clocked 100% over the 5watt, thereby shortening the LEDs life by 50 years

or

A really big marketing scam made by "brilliant" engineers who don't know what 10watt of LED light looks like...

I don't know about the light...but I know for sure lumileds didnt come up with a LuxX, only LuxV for now...

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
It sounds like two things when i see the title...

Way way overclocked...we're talkin a Lux V clocked 100% over the 5watt, thereby shortening the LEDs life by 50 years
or
A really big marketing scam made by "brilliant" engineers who don't know what 10watt of LED light looks like...
I don't know about the light...but I know for sure lumileds didnt come up with a LuxX, only LuxV for now...
I consider it just a name. I have a "Golston 7W" I know it's not 7 watts, but it is exeptionally bright, and is well made. The manufacturer keeps upgrading the design to improve quality and functionality. Since my first one, they have 1. installed a cover over the star to prevent the reflector from contacting the emitter leads, 2. redesigned the light engine to prevent reverse polarity, installed a larger resistor to accomodate Li-Ion batteries, changed the surface finish from gloss to matte, and installed a better, partially stippled reflector. If the "10 watt" is made by the same company, I will buy one because they have demonstrated an interest in making a quality product for a very good price. The problem is, the manufacturer has chosen unwisely to remain anonomous instead of seeking brand identification.

Bernie

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds will announce theire 10 W led within the year,thats the rumor.

But these Clones pack a punch thats for sure,allthough im not very confident that they will last as long as a led should.The lack of regulation also bothers me..
Also i dont like the way they use a single resistor to limit the current.

Other than that it probably is the best bang for the buck.As long as it lasts and without a notcable drop in brighness after some heavy use.

I found out a long time ago that Cheap lights does not meet my high demands in quality and peformance.
And i found out that i had spent more on cheap lights than it would cost me to buy a REAL Flashlight.

I prefer Quality over Quantity.

Allthough i probably will buy a light of that caliber to compare to my Real Flashlights to see if it is Comparable and as High powered as they lead us to believe.

Time will tell,
Benny

refractrfractal

Newly Enlightened
The current ebay listings for this type of light, I noticed a couple of days ago, mostly say '9 watt' and then include '7 8' in the title to pick up searches for the old wattages.

Were/are the 8 and 9 watt lights brighter than the 7 watt? From what thefish is seeing in HK, it looks that way.

Probably our mysterious manuf keeps tweaking the resister circuit, and maybe the other conductive parts of the light, to max the lumens -- even though from a distance it looks a lot like plain old deceptive hype.

I've never been to HK. Is there much chance thefish could track down the manuf of these lights, and -- along the lines of what FirstDsent says above -- convince them to "come out of the closet" and communicate with their fans on CPF?

Count me in for one on a group buy if the quality is consistent with the other 'Golstons' and the price not too different.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
refractrfractal said:
The current ebay listings for this type of light, I noticed a couple of days ago, mostly say '9 watt' and then include '7 8' in the title to pick up searches for the old wattages.

Were/are the 8 and 9 watt lights brighter than the 7 watt? From what thefish is seeing in HK, it looks that way.

Probably our mysterious manuf keeps tweaking the resister circuit, and maybe the other conductive parts of the light, to max the lumens -- even though from a distance it looks a lot like plain old deceptive hype.

I've never been to HK. Is there much chance thefish could track down the manuf of these lights, and -- along the lines of what FirstDsent says above -- convince them to "come out of the closet" and communicate with their fans on CPF?

Count me in for one on a group buy if the quality is consistent with the other 'Golstons' and the price not too different.
True 'dat!

Bernie

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.21 Gigawatts! The only thing that can produce that much power is a bolt of lightening.

So what do we do with this 10 watt heating wand? Oh I know, we feed it lots of expensive batteries, compare it to our high quality 3 watt light that produces more light, and decide to defrost the freezer with it.

I bought the Golston 7 watt and I'm not impressed at all.

Last edited: