Good flashlight for about <$60

geobio

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 2xAA flashlight for under $60 or so. I tired a Surefire L1, and decided its not worth the $135 price tag. I'm looking at the Fenix L2D Q5 ($62), but noticed that on DealExtreme (DX) there are a lot of lights that seem good too. Except for some reviews regarding how the build quality is bad... which is a major turn down.

Any suggestions? Should I go for a Fenix (despite some others which seem to be as good for $20-30 on DX). Other brands or specific lights to suggest?

Would prefer some newer technology (Q5 or comparable), runs 2xAA, and decent battery life with an option of low and high power (anything works) (low ~10 lm, high >80 lm.... or so).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
factor in you may be waiting at least a month shipping time from DX and what you get you will probably not be to happy with in turn ending up buying a fenix 2 months later , in the end you will have wasted $30 on a cheapy light thats hit or miss and 2 months of your time ;) so buy the right light first "L2d" :D use coupon 8% off " cpf8 " fenixstore

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
While not the newest LED technology if I was looking for a light for less than $60 with 2AA format I would go to target and get an Inova Bolt 2AA 3.8 Watt. If you are willing to go to CR123As I would recommend the X0 or X5. I own several Inovas and they are all bullet proof. My T1 has taken many drops onto concrete from high enough distances to wreck the battery, swapped it out and the light still works like a champ. Lifetime warranty and assembled in the USA sure are nice too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D-CE Q5 is $57.50 shipped from Fenix Store after the 8% off coupon "CPF8".

You could modify a DX 2 AA light, the RC-N3 or WF-606(good lights for the price), to Q5 for under $60, but it would take a while to ship, no modes, and you have to do some work.

geobio

Newly Enlightened
I have personal experience with Maglites, (LED and Incand), and I would definitely say that they're not that great. Started off with Maglites, used them for years, and eventually saw that there were much better options. Though you may consider that there is a limit for what you should spend with a flashlight, I see that if the benefit can justify the cost (and I have the money), I'd get something nicer. Maglite LED are not that powerful, though decent life (>4 hrs producing modest light)

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 from fenix-store.
And while you're there you should pick up a Fenix E01 as a back up light. Fenix lights run better with NiMH batteries (preferably Eneloops or other low-self-discharge batteries), and run best with AA or AAA lithium primaries.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ another one for the Fenix. If you're gonna spend $60, that's definitely the way to go. If you wanna keep it under $21, then look at DX/Kaibut you'll be giving up a chunk of quality control, customer service and engineering, but there are some good ones too.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L2D CE Q5 is a great light. I own one. It spoiled me. Every time I look in a store now, I realize that nothing is as small, as efficient, as lightweight, as bright, as long lasting on low, or as adaptable. I got the L1D, and P2D body tubes so I could adapt it to run on one AA or one 123A battery. It's a great light. Fenix has about the most efficient circuits in their lights so they will run better than many other similar lights. You can either get one Fenix light that you won't be disappointed with and have it in a week, or you can buy from Deal Extreme, probably have to buy two $30 lights to get one good one, and wait a month to get it. It's your choice.

Zenster

Enlightened
Yet another +1 for the L2D-CD/Q5.

That was the very first flashlight I bought as my addiction here at CPF began, and I'm glad it was.
If the L2D hadn't turned out to be so amazing, I would never have continued on looking to see what else was out there.
The L2D has the distinction of being the ONLY light of which I have bought more than one.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your set on staying with the 2AA format I would go with the Fenix L2D.As long as you buy from a reputable vendor(Fenix Store or Lighthound for example) I think you will be satisfied.
If you are willing to consider CR123s the INOVA T1 and T2(2008 models) are great lights.The INOVAs sport a much warmer tint than most led lights yet they are still bright and have decent runtimes.The INOVAs are probably the best quality lights in your price range but they are single stage,no multiple modes or low/high.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to wait a bit, the Olight T25 is coming out. I'm not sure how it competes but it will have a clip and a UI that some people prefer to the Fenix's. Along with the option for forward clickie.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
{Fenix L2D Q5}

Any suggestions? Should I go for a Fenix (despite some others which seem to be as good for $20-30 on DX). Other brands or specific lights to suggest?

I highlighted the key word in your previous post. While there are some who feel that Surefire lights are overpriced, you generally do get what you pay for when it comes to buying lights. I'd go with the Fenix.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another +1 for the L2D-CD/Q5.

That was the very first flashlight I bought as my addiction here at CPF began, and I'm glad it was.
If the L2D hadn't turned out to be so amazing, I would never have continued on looking to see what else was out there.
The L2D has the distinction of being the ONLY light of which I have bought more than one.

Me too! I bought two of them (though I might get another RC-G2 soon as they are so cheap).

The L2D Q5 and it is my favourite and most used light. Some of the DX lights are great value but not perhaps up to the Fenix performance standard. Fenix just needs to make a grippier body IMHO but with some time you can do something about it.

A lot of guys here are saying that O-Lights are great but I don't have one.

You'll never look at a Maglite in the same way again!

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Yet another vote for the L2D.

Get one, you won't regret it.:D

Mike.