Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x123?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x1

I've got to echo the recomendation of the Brinkman LX. For the price it's the best light easily available for them. You can get it at wallmart for $20 and that includes your first set of batteries. The light is bigger and heavier than it needs to be, but the light output even without modding is excellent. This is the only incandescent flashlight that I own that gets any use.

Once I manage to get the bulb to burn out I'll be putting in a surefire p61 lamp assembly into it for a truly bright light experince /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But it's not LED! Which might be a problem. The Dorcy spyder sounds interesting to me, have to look into that... Which reminds me I need to order some more lithium batteries...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Streamlight Scorpion can be focused and is as bright as a SF 6P. Streamlight also has a nifty nylon belt hloster for the Scorpion. The Scorpiom's not fancy looking, but it gets the job done for around $30.00.

A picture of the Scorpion and a SF G2.
pair.jpg

RY3

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Streamlight Scorpion can be focused and is as bright as a SF 6P. Streamlight also has a nifty nylon belt hloster for the Scorpion. The Scorpiom's not fancy looking, but it gets the job done for around $30.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and it come with a spare bulb in it's Bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Roy

...forgot about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

epro05

Newly Enlightened

And you can also screw a KL1 head onto the Scorpion.

Regarding the Brinkman Legend LX and Streamlight Scorpion, I got the Scorpion, even though it cost a little more, because I liked the tighter focus shown in Sean's beamshot comparison here . Legend LX on the left, Scorpion on the right.

Roy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
kl1-2.jpg

epro05

Newly Enlightened

There you go ... a Streamlight SKLorpion.

NewsFlash

Enlightened

Roy, RY, epro05,

How good a system is the bulb in a Scorpion? Is it bi-pin and does it have a habit of coming loose? I do like that feature of having a spare bulb in the bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

How bright is the KL1 head? I do like the lifetime repair policy of the SF's and that's something to consider. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Do any of you who like the Scorpion have the E2e and which do you find yourself carrying the most? I like the diameter of the E2e but the features of the Scorpion (if they are indeed all good) make it a close contest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Thanks, everyone, for all your comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RY3

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewsFlash said:
Roy, RY, epro05,

...Do any of you who like the Scorpion have the E2e and which do you find yourself carrying the most? I like the diameter of the E2e but the features of the Scorpion (if they are indeed all good) make it a close contest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're going to get a E2e, I think you may as well skip the Scorpion then IMHO.

fbacf5a6.jpg

pahl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewsFlash said:
Roy, RY, epro05,

Do any of you who like the Scorpion have the E2e and which do you find yourself carrying the most?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use to have a Scorpion. I now carry a E2e-HA. I like the Surefire much better then the Scorpion.

Roy

Here is what a creative machinist can do with a Brinkmann Legend LX!

lx.jpg

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I usually don't recommend based on price. I'd rather give my impressions of the best performing light in a given category but since economy is an important theme in this thread I'll focus on that.

Factoring in price, brightness, size and weight and appearance I would agree with Slick. The Dorcy Spyder at $12.00 (2 @ $24.00) is IMO the best bargain in a very bright 2x123 light currently available.

It is good-looking (sorry no digital camera), brighter, smaller and lighter than many 2x123's.
L 4 7/8"
Wt 4.2oz
Bezel dia 11/4"

It is a focusable light with two unusual characteristics. The head is firmly mated to the body so that, unlike most focusable lights including the Scorpion, the liklihood of inadvertant defocus is slight. Despite its smooth reflector the Dorcy is focusable to a surprisingly bright spot, not as smooth as the textured reflector lights, but only slightly dimmer than the Legend, and capable of imposing its spot upon the Scorpion's beam because its smaller diameter beam allows for a bit more penetration.

It has a well designed, recessed, easily activated clickie that while not lockable is less vulnerable to accidental activation than the Scorpion, which is my only major complaint with the Scorpion. I have always found the Legend a bit too bulky for comfortable EDC.

I own and respect all the lights mentioned. The Scorpion and Legend and others are excellent lights at extremely reasonable prices, but when it comes to sheer bang for the buck the Dorcy, at $12,00 is unique. Unfortunately it is not easy to find.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Here is what a creative machinist can do with a Brinkmann Legend LX!

lx.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy,

I remember that mod. Really gorgeous, but even the pre-mod Legend with rubberized grip became hot after a while, and when I removed the grip it became too hot to hold relatively quickly.

Can you remind me who did this beautiful work; was it McGizmo?

Brightnorm

Roy

I knew someone was going to ask that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'll have to search, as I don't remember. The first one was done for MrBulk.

Added:

Here you go!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

But I'm not on "buy you a sixpack" terms with a creative machinist!

And since the Dorcy is still hard to find (my local Sears hardware is a big Dorcy/Coast/other place and has no Spiders (of the light variety!) anywhere in the flashlight aisle.

So I'd still have to recommend the Peli M6.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
I knew someone was going to ask that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'll have to search, as I don't remember. The first one was done for MrBulk.

Added:

Here you go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Roy. He sure does beautiful work. Do you know if he has been around recently?

Brightnorm

Roy

As near as I can tell, his last posting was on 1-22-03. I only found three postings total.

hideo

Enlightened

G2s at $20 a throw are really nice ... but scarce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

the TT 2L is nice--my keeper out of the series--not as bright as the typical Scorp or G2, but wider beam,(I suspect)lower current draw and very usable and the 3 LEDs option is nice and usable--not really a cheapo at $30

the Peli M6 is a neat light with great throw, but it just didn't do it for me--kinda' big and my lamp assembly threw a bright, but elliptical beam (cheap replacement bulb assemblys, though) $36 best price is not really entry level anymore

when the Dorcy Spyders become readily available, they're going to raise the bar for the cheapie 2x123s--good output, small and lend themselves to easy dissection and fiddling, e.g.:

Dorcy Cool Cyan

and

new Lithium Light (Slick)

hideo

(edit) return of the $20 G2/Scorpion

PS--just noticed that Botach is running their on again/off again sale on Scorpions or G2s with 10 123 batteries $30--might have to try a Scorpion myself ...

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened

Which would you choose between a G2 or Legend LX? The dorcy spyder is not available to me.

hideo

Enlightened

I'd lean heavily to the G2 at $20-smaller and nice quality --YMMV depending on your bank account at the moment and if a price war is going--it still is at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hideo

Latest posts