Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x123?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x1

My first "real 123a" light was the E2e. I love it. I had an LSH-P before but mainly ran it on NiMH. The E2e is great, you can get good deals on used ones in the BST forum.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
As near as I can tell, his last posting was on 1-22-03. I only found three postings total.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thanks

BN

NewsFlash

Enlightened

I got a Scorpion in the mail today from TTS. Haven't opened it yet. I'm not sure it's small as I want an EDC to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Is it possible to just buy an E2e head (bezel)? If the KL1 fits the Scorpion, then logicalliy the E2e bezel does, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I'm betting the E2e bezel can't be had for much cheaper than the entire light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

The Scorpion is a bit big for EDC. I don't think an E2e bezel will help it that much--the body itself is also pretty big. If an E2e is what you want, buy an E2e. However, E2e bezels do show up on BST sometimes.

NewsFlash

Enlightened

Though I'd dust this thread off.

I have come to really like the performance of the Scorpion. The head is a little big, but the new SL TL-2 seems to have improved in that department.

I bought a red A2 not long after buying the Scorpion. I really like the A2. Trouble was, I didn't really use it much. I tended to baby it too much, maybe what I paid for it kept flashing in my head whenever I picked it up. For what it does, it's great.

I began to believe the E2e would be better for me. Also, I felt like if I needed a little bit of light (LEDs), something like the KL1 wouldn't be too much.

I was able to trade the A2 for an E2e and a KL1 and some 123's. I screwed the KL1 on the Scorpion body. It is a terrific light, has a blue tinge in the center of the beam but is actually pretty white. I also recently bought an E2O.

I think if I need a little light, the KL1 fills the bill. If i need a lot of light, then the E2e does the job. On those occasions when the KL1 is too much, I can use an Infinity Ultra-G. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

NewsFlash-

This may be outside your requirements, however consider the Surefire E1e with KL1 head. It is more compact than the E2e, every bit as classy and has a longer runtime with the LED.

GregR

RevDavid

Enlightened

That is nice, or try the TW4 if you like that short body. For 2x123, I like the E2E and L4 best. 6P is also nice for little less.

David <><

recercare

Enlightened

I have the 6P, and it's great. It's small enough for a EDC and in my opinion the best looking Surefire. It gives an impression of class and timeless elegance. I have a black body, which is perfect because that color fits all clothes. Some of the other Surefires are too bulky or too hitech, and the G2's design is boring in my opinion. I'm about to get the a19 and p90/91 to give me more options.

recercare

Enlightened

"I have a black body" means my Surefire has a black body, not my skin. Just incase someone got confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

catch228

Newly Enlightened

Since the KL1 head fits on the scorpion, would the KL4 head fit also?

NewsFlash

Enlightened

I don't see why not.

According to Tactical Warehouse's website in the misc. SureFire section, they sell the E2e/L4 body as an individual item.

www.tacticalwarehouse.com/sf_acc_misc.html

I'm going to put the original head back on my Scorpion, and put the KL1 bezel on my E2O. The Scorpion is quite a performer as is.

I've been playing with the KL1 on my E2e, I think the longer clip of the E2o will be easier to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened

Since this thread was new, the Streamlight TT 2L has become generally available. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second Bill.H,

The Streamlight TT 2L is a nice light....it's actually a two in one. You have the LED's for up close stuff, map reading, walking around your campsite or lighting up your living room. Then you have the xenon bulb for more brightness and throw. If the xenon goes out....you still have the LED's and the xenon is not very expensive to replace either. The advertised run times for the LED's is 28 hours and the xenon is 2.5 hours. Dual purpose in one package, good run times. Good deal for about $30.00, kind of a budget SF A2.

mike

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been into lights for about two months now. In that two months, I've acquired 2 E2e's, an L4, a few modded KL1's, an A2, an E1e, Surefire M3 (don't have this in my hands yet), 2 PM6's, a Brinkman LX, a Scorpion and a G2. I've also invested in a handful Pila rechargeables and a charger.

Of course the Brinkman was the least expensive. I EDC my E1e with a modded KL1 (not cheap). But when it comes to incandescent lights, the two that get the most use are the Scorpion and the G2 and for two simple facts. They were both cheap and they are both very bright and relatively compact. The are also tough and I don't worry much about dinging them.

The Scorpion has it's pros and cons.
What I like about it is:
1. It is bright.
2. The rubber cover makes is easy to hold on to.
3. E series LED bezels fit on it.
4. Comes with a momentary and constant on clickie.
5. Easily made rechargeable with the use of a Pila 168S battery and a Stinger 3.7v bulb.

What I don't like about it is:
1. The rubber is subject to tearing.
2. The rubber makes it hard to get in and out of your pocket.
3. The head's coating is wearing off.

What I like about the G2 is:
1. It is relatively small and bright.
2. It is fixed focus that is appropriate for most situations.
3. It is not made of metal and is very tough. I've dropped mine a bunch of times and it is no worse for the wear.
4. Can be made rechargeable with the use of a Pila 3.7v 80 lumen lamp and 168S battery.
5. You can use a KL3 (very mod friendly) on it.

What I don't like:
1. It's kind of ugly compared to the other Surefires.
2. It feels a little bulky.
3. Although it will operate with P61 LA, you have to worry about the lens melting (in extended use).

I think both lights are great, but if I had to choose one, it would probably be the Surefire because it's easier to pocket and it gives better light as a rechargeable.

You'd probably be happy with either one. I'd lean toward the G2 though. It's tough and since it will be your only 123 light for the time being, it's good to have something that you wouldn't have to baby. Later when you move up to a 6P or something similar, the lamps and stuff will interchange.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where can I get a Pila 3.7v 80 lumen lamp and 168S battery?

Latest posts