Got my L1 CREE. Possible issue, pics inside (RESOLVED)

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got my L1 CREE. Possible issue, pics inside

I wouldn't worry! The emitter on mine is off-center and it gives a weird shape to the hotspot. Also, the greenish ring on the othermost side of the spill is not complete. In the picture below, you can see that it appears on the right part of the spill but disappear on the left. It's annoying when you shine a white wall but if you don't directly look at it and you use it normally, it's not a problem at all! I love this light. :)

img3085qv0.jpg

Last edited:

Fooboy

Enlightened

Fooboy,

Lightemup has hit the nail on the head. Surefire is expensive because the products they make are designed for longevity and reliability in situations that a load of cheaper lights couldn't cope with. Surefire also is synonymous with giving a world class warranty service for its customers.

However, Surefire doesn't claim to provide 100% perfect beam profiles or tints in its LED lights. The issue you have raised shows less than 100% perfection against a white wall test but is it a problem in real life usage? Does it make the light unusable? Does it make the light unreliable? Will it fail to provide you with the type of function that you bought the light for?

Without wishing to cause offense aren't you being a little bit over zealous about what most of us would ignore?

If you are too fussed by the beam then send it back to Surefire and I'm sure they'll replace it. However, don't be surprised to find that its replacement is also not 100% perfect.:(

Doug

Good post. Thanks!

Fooboy

Enlightened

My L1 should be arriving from OpticsHQ tomorrow. I would bet both of our lights are from the same manufacturing run and were shipped at the same time (we were both on backorder, until OpticsHQ got their latest shipment of L1's - Right?). I will post when I get it.

I did not like the looks of your beam shot either when first seeing it but after seeing rpshank's pix, it would appear that the L1's beam pattern is what it is -it's just not perfect.

Now I will do a search and look at other L1 beamshots that I did not pay close attention to before.

Yep - I got mine from Optics HQ after it was on backorder.

After reading the posts I am cool - I just didnt know if that was typical or terrible. I could notice it on a white wall but not in actual use at all.

I look forward to your beamshots (pm me when you post it) but I think this thing is awesome and won't pursue further action.

Thanks Guys!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

take it outside and use it .its fine.

Fooboy

Enlightened

I wouldn't worry! The emitter on mine is off-center and it gives a weird shape to the hotspot. Also, the greenish ring on the othermost side of the spill is not complete. In the picture below, you can see that it appears on the right part of the spill but disappear on the left. It's annoying when you shine a white wall but if you don't directly look at it and you use it normally, it's not a problem at all! I love this light. :)

img3085qv0.jpg

Mine has the same green ring around the circumference of the beam. I think this is due to the smoothness of the reflectors. I read in another thread that some of the earlier serial numbers had more frosting and a more gradual beam.

bigfoot

Enlightened

The L1 beamshots here look like the L1 I had ordered from Surefire a few months ago. The beam was slightly off-center but still very usable and a very nice tint. Unfortunately mine developed the flickering problem, so it went back to Surefire.

The fine folks here at CPF are right -- try the L1 Cree outside and you'll forget about white wall hunting.

:D

Fooboy

Enlightened

What is the "flickering problem" I her about?

Numbers

Enlightened

There is a thread here somewhere about the flickering. It is supposed to be an old problem that has been resolved. Run the light continuously for half of an hour, if it doesn't flicker then no problem.

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened

There have been numerous posts here at CPF about the new L1 CREE.

The consensus is:

If all you're going to do is shine the light on a wall and worry about whether the spillbeam is a little wider at 4 o'clock than 11 o'clock - Don't buy the light.

This light uses an optic, and optics are not known for perfect, flawless beams.

Now if you take your L1 outside and use it, the consensus seems to agree that this is an awesome light. :D

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

Worried about perfect circles? Clearly, no one here has seen a first generation L1 or KL1 head with a Luxeon and the original NX optic. Now, there was a light with some serious irregularities in the beam. :sick2:

Numbers

Enlightened

Worried about perfect circles? Clearly, no one here has seen a first generation L1 or KL1 head with a Luxeon and the original NX optic. Now, there was a light with some serious irregularities in the beam. :sick2:
My KL1 has the square shape, green edge and outer ring (I believe like all of the others) those may be "flaws" but they are not irregular, the beam on mine, at least is symetrical.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened

Just a reminder to those who think the L1 uses a Reflector, it actually uses an Optic that may be very very clear, or may have a slight frosting to it.

greenLED

Flashaholic

My KL1 has the square shape, green edge and outer ring (I believe like all of the others) those may be "flaws" but they are not irregular, the beam on mine, at least is symetrical.
Fooboy, Numbers is referring to the older Lux version of the L1 looked like, not the newer Cree L1 (mainly) being discussed here.

Numbers

Enlightened

I am referring to my KL1, not my L1 or KX2, neither of which has arrived yet. FedEx says tomorrow for the L1; hoping for Friday for the KX2.

GreenLed beat me to it. BTW I am not complaining about the old KL1, it is a fine light.

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened

There have been numerous posts here at CPF about the new L1 CREE.

The consensus is:

If all you're going to do is shine the light on a wall and worry about whether the spillbeam is a little wider at 4 o'clock than 11 o'clock - Don't buy the light.

This light uses an optic, and optics are not known for perfect, flawless beams.

Now if you take your L1 outside and use it, the consensus seems to agree that this is an awesome light. :D
After playing with my L1, just received, for about one half an hour I have to agree.

Fooboy

Enlightened

So I took the light out of the house last night on a 10:30 jog (29 degrees in charlotte!). About 50% of the 3 mile run is completely unlit except by an occassional passing car. I took out the L1 with me and man this thing is awesome. You guys were right. It puts out a lot more light than I thought by shining it on a wall.

When I got back I wondered why it took me so long to buy a light when I would be running in pitch dark hoping I didnt trip on a stick or get my eye poked by a low tree branch.

It was pretty fun to light up a treeline 20 yards away now and again :)

Numbers

Enlightened

So, on my L1 it's about 2 1/2 turns from full on (high) to locked out. Is this the same on yours? (On my G2l it is one turn).

Spence

Enlightened

Hey life's cheap in the streets and you're worried about a little off-center spill?! EDC your new, fabulous L1 for a few days and be glad you're not having to use it to illuminate spilled blood at the scene of some senseless shooting in the neighborhood. I'm sure there are plenty of emergency officials on CPF who do just that with their lights, as I did for twenty-two years working homicides in South-Central L.A. For cryin' out loud, you've got one of the very best lights SF produces, don't rant like such a p*ssy.
Det/Sgt Spence, Ret'd
rant.gif
mad71.gif
sick2.gif

Numbers

Enlightened

On my L1 - In addition to the 2 1/2 turns to lock out I asked about above, I noticed that the tail cap itself has a bit of play in it, because the entire tail cap assembly "rides" on the threads of the battery tube, just a bit, when the on button is pressed to activate the light. Functioning of the light is not impaired.
Just wanting to know if all the tail caps are kinda loose on their battery tubes when not screwed down tight (turned on all the way).

Latest posts