Got some Surefire DEF's

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
PICT0070.jpg

Hmmmm, so the official designation for these is DEF3 A, B and C after all.

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
To me the most exciting information gained from this thread is that Surefire seems to have found a way to control the tint on there lux v's. Hopefully this will in someway result in a future decrease of the bitching people around here tend to do about the slight tint variations present in the lux v's.

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
Since they halted R&D on incandescents quite a while ago I think it's more about improving the color rendition of LEDs and offering more choices for different applications. I think we may see color temperature as an option in the future.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Chehalis said:
Hmmmm, so the official designation for these is DEF3 A, B and C after all.

Don't believe that based on the manual it was shipped with. The Kromas have been shipping out with U2 manuals. There was not time nor inclination to customise the manual for this special run of 200 lights.

As for why so many of these were purchased by Asian Dealers... As is proven time and time again when it comes to putting up the readies for the coolest toys the Asians are usually quickest off the blocks. When you're willing to pay rather than mess around for a deal money shouts the loudest.

That's my impression at least.

Al

Mark2

Enlightened
Size15's said:
As for why so many of these were purchased by Asian Dealers... As is proven time and time again when it comes to putting up the readies for the coolest toys the Asians are usually quickest off the blocks. When you're willing to pay rather than mess around for a deal money shouts the loudest.

Or maybe PK just happens to have many friends in that part of the world :)

seattlite

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Don't believe that based on the manual it was shipped with. The Kromas have been shipping out with U2 manuals. There was not time nor inclination to customise the manual for this special run of 200 lights.

That's my impression at least.

Al

So....Will Surefire Lifetime Warranty apply to this light. I have gotten replies from 2 seperate Asian Surefire Dealers that supply the PKEF lights and both say that the Surefire Lifetime Warranty does not apply. Can anyone confirm.

Thanks,
Richard

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
BEAMSHOTS!
My U2 and my L4 are brighter than all my X-binned lights. Heres a comparison of how the PKEF stacks up.....
PKEFBEAMSHOT001.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT002.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT003.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT004.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT005.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT006.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT007.jpg

PKEFBEAMSHOT008.jpg

My L4 is WO/XO tinted, you can see in this pic how warm the 5K is, its definatley in the V1 ball park! :rock:
PKEFBEAMSHOT009.jpg

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saweeet pics, homey! :laughing: So glad you and WP are around to take such great shots, I sure can't. Did you get a pair? One for each side of the big bad Dixon?! :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
EricMack said:
Saweeet pics, homey! :laughing: So glad you and WP are around to take such great shots, I sure can't. Did you get a pair? One for each side of the big bad Dixon?! :D
The Dixon has headlights, when ever i get time, I'm thinking about replacing them w/ HID's. :rock:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
EricMack said:
..... So glad you and WP are around to take such great shots, I sure can't.....

Yeah... first I need one of these in my hands in order to take some pics.... :(

Outstanding photos, PSM!!!!! :bow:

Awesome beamshots!!! Puts this light into perspective!

This light takes a little bit of the thunder out of the coming release of the Kroma/Kroma Mil-spec....

Granted, this is a totally different light....

:thumbsup: WP

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
The Dixon has headlights, when ever i get time, I'm thinking about replacing them w/ HID's. :rock:

Cool idea, but wouldn't shipping the Dix to Boston cost a little much, even for you? :lolsign:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice beamshots... I wonder how much range that thing has.... if you have extra time, maybe we could get some long range beamshots at far away trees. :)

-david

Size15's

Flashaholic
seattlite said:
So....Will Surefire Lifetime Warranty apply to this light. I have gotten replies from 2 seperate Asian Surefire Dealers that supply the PKEF lights and both say that the Surefire Lifetime Warranty does not apply. Can anyone confirm.

Thanks,
Richard

I understand that SureFire's Warranty does not apply to the PKEF's because they are experimental (hence the name) and SureFire does not have any stock or components to repair them should they break. This likely includes the two-stage TailCap unless it becomes a production component in the future. They are a chance to own a part of SureFire's R&D process.

seattlite

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I understand that SureFire's Warranty does not apply to the PKEF's because they are experimental (hence the name) and SureFire does not have any stock or components to repair them should they break. This likely includes the two-stage TailCap unless it becomes a production component in the future. They are a chance to own a part of SureFire's R&D process.

I just got off the phone with a SF Tech Support Rep, and I asked him about these PKEF lights and if SF will warranty them. I re-iterated that these are PK EXPERIMENTAL lights and say so on the brown box packaging, and he stated that if it came from SF that SF will service it. He stated that it might take longer to service since SF might have to "fabricate a component" that it doesn't stock or have, but SF will service the light. I'm uncertain whether what was said was just the SF Tech Support's opinion or actual SF policy.

So, if anyone were to purchase these lights, you should know that SF **might not** service these lights.

Richard

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
OUTDOOR RAINY BEAMSHOTS!!! :rock:

All of these were taken with the flashlight in its brightest setting. I'm no photographer, but you get a general idea for brightness. The first pics are about from 60-70 feet out. The second pics are about 190-200 feet to the green shed.

PKEFSHOOTOUT016.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT001.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT002.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT003.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT004.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT005.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT006.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT007.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT015.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT008.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT009.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT010.jpg