**Great News**Flupic interest thread for Tri-Flupic, Fenix, Arc-Q3, Jil, and Piglets

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Tri Flupic today Thank You, the D li-ion running a I have from KD seems to sag too much to achieve more than 2.6 Amps flat out running a P7. I have a pack consisting of 4 Eneeloop AA in series, is the voltage too high for the Tri Flupic?
Norm

Remember the LED is seeing more current than you are mearuring at the battery.

The last P7's I received draw 2.8amps at 3.3-3.5v

Mac

Luminous

Newly Enlightened
Remember the LED is seeing more current than you are mearuring at the battery.

The last P7's I received draw 2.8amps at 3.3-3.5v

Mac

I would say that depends on the batterie voltage, the led Vf and the way the tri-flupic works (i.e efficiency). If the batterie pack is 3.3-3.5V and the led VF is 3.3-3.5V assuming that all the energy in = all energy out (no losses, 100% efficiency) then the currrent in is about the same as the current out. I understand that the tri-flupic is set to regulate the current out at 3.6A? when at max setting, hence this would indicate that the set-up you are running is limitted by the current and voltage that your batterie can give not by the tri-flupic. Therefor it may be possible to get a higher current out (which is what I measured) with a different batterie set-up (i.e: 4AA's) (altough the current in should be somewhat lower if the tri-flupic efficiency is good).

Does anybody know the efficiency of the tri-flupic in function of the batterie voltage and led Vf at the different settings?

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that depends on the batterie voltage, the led Vf and the way the tri-flupic works (i.e efficiency). If the batterie pack is 3.3-3.5V and the led VF is 3.3-3.5V assuming that all the energy in = all energy out (no losses, 100% efficiency) then the currrent in is about the same as the current out. I understand that the tri-flupic is set to regulate the current out at 3.6A? when at max setting, hence this would indicate that the set-up you are running is limitted by the current and voltage that your batterie can give not by the tri-flupic. Therefor it may be possible to get a higher current out with a different batterie set-up (i.e: 4AA's).

Does anybody know the efficiency of the tri-flupic in function of the batterie voltage and led Vf at the different settings?

From my understanding

The Flupic Drivers do not regulate current at 3.6amps. They do no regulate at all they provide a Max current with PWM dimming. A regulated light maintains the same EXACT brightness no matter what the input voltage is. The flupic just regulates the max current and changes the brightness through PWM based on the input voltage. It does not Boost or Buck.

Mac

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks for the replies Mac. Is a heat sink necessary for the TriFlupic?
Norm

TexLite

Enlightened
As I understand it,the Tri-flupic does not regulate on burst,but the max output of each chip(x3) is limited to 1200ma.I think the output is dependant on the input voltage.With four NiMH output should be around 3.6a,with one Li-ion output will be lower,from observation.I am assuming this is because of the emitter Vf and the dropout voltage of the driver.

The max Vin is 5.5v according to goldserve.You will get the flicker on the high levels if the driver is not very well heatsinked.I had one(4xNiMH)that was marginally sinked and it flickered until I potted and remounted(w/AA) on a modified H22A heatsink.With this combination it has been solid.

Michael

Last edited:

Luminous

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help.
I have potted the tri-flupic and it now works without flickering on all levels.
Just to clarify, the tri-flupic is only a dimmer? it does not regulate at all (even semi-regulate)? I am a bit confused.
I thought it was possible to have a flupic either set at 1A or 1.2A in Burst. Is the current limitation only with a particular voltage? If not, there must be some kind of regulation as the current limitation would be independent of voltage?

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who knows more please correct me since I can't find the info. on the old threads, but this is what I remember:

FLuPICs are LDO buck boards with PWM dimming. When the burst is set at DD then it works just like a DD PWM controller (out of regulation). As long as Vin > Vf you have buck regulation unless you are in burst at DD.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've been trying to place an order through your site for the past 10 mins. It's running extremely slow right now & I keep getting logged out due to some type of browser security check. Never had a problem ordering before.

I will just place my order through paypal.

PP cash sent for:
1x Flupic converter version 2.2 Standard Sammie 0.55"
1x Flupic converter version 2.2 Standard Sammie 0.55" 1amp burst
First class shipping.

Not sure if you have me down but as posted before, please put me down for two 10.5mm Flupics.

Thanks
-Will-

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Will,

Thanks, I shipped your order. I'm sorry for the inconvenience as I admit the store can be a pain. We have a new store almost ready, I just need to put in the time to get it running.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could I get a Flupic with a custom UI? I was thinking 1.2a burst > 12 hz strobe > level 2 low (something around 10-20lm or so)

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could I get a Flupic with a custom UI? I was thinking 1.2a burst > 12 hz strobe > level 2 low (something around 10-20lm or so)

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delay as I'm out of town for another week.

With the standard FLuPIC I believe you will have what you ask for with the ability to adjust levels that already exists. I don't have the link with me now, but you should be able to find the page for the menus that show this?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric, is it possible you will release any more Arc /Q3 Flupics into the wild ? :)

Yes, I was going to build a really small number of these, perhaps 10. Since I think those are already spoken for maybe I should build 20 instead?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yes, I was going to build a really small number of these, perhaps 10. Since I think those are already spoken for maybe I should build 20 instead?

Yes please do. I'm in for another three 0.77" boards. Would you be able to supply me with a few of the PICs with the Draco program?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes please do. I'm in for another three 0.77" boards. Would you be able to supply me with a few of the PICs with the Draco program?

Perhaps I'm having too much vacationing as I'm a little dense right now so could you please clarify "supply me with a few of the PICs with the Draco program"?
:drunk:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Perhaps I'm having too much vacationing as I'm a little dense right now so could you please clarify "supply me with a few of the PICs with the Draco program"?
:drunk:

My apologies. I was just wondering if you would be able to get a few of the micro processors (MicroChip PIC12F629) on the board pre programmed with the Draco program for me. I'd solder them on myself. Probably too much to ask but doesn't hurt to ask. I'd pre pay for them if you could find out how much they would be if it was possible. :grin2:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies. I was just wondering if you would be able to get a few of the micro processors (MicroChip PIC12F629) on the board pre programmed with the Draco program for me. I'd solder them on myself. Probably too much to ask but doesn't hurt to ask. I'd pre pay for them if you could find out how much they would be if it was possible. :grin2:

Hi Will,

I thought that was what you meant but I wanted to be sure. No hurt in asking :) I'll try to remember to check when I get back. If I don't get back to you then please remind me.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Hi Will,

I thought that was what you meant but I wanted to be sure. No hurt in asking :) I'll try to remember to check when I get back. If I don't get back to you then please remind me.

Great, thank you Eric! :thumbsup:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delay as I'm out of town for another week.

With the standard FLuPIC I believe you will have what you ask for with the ability to adjust levels that already exists. I don't have the link with me now, but you should be able to find the page for the menus that show this?

Thanks Eric. I've had the Interface guide bookmarked for a bit. Flupic is limited to a max voltage of 5.5 or so right? I can't seem to find the actual specs anywhere. Just the UI.:shrug: