Groundhog Day, you wake up back at the start with no lights - first purchase?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow not sure what I'm looking at here, but beautiful. How could one go about mining for this unobtanium, is it possible?

Welcome to the forum, I like your posting style :)

CPF rules forbid posting where to buy info
Im happy to answer sensitive questions like that, if you send me a private message

And I agree that learning to swap LEDs can transform a light from something I choose not to use,
to a light that brings a smile to my face.

One of the variables you will want to consider, is the size of the light, and size of the battery it uses.

gPyxJHX.jpg

iwgXuwM.jpg

both these lights use the same battery size
ND57oe2.jpg

middle light is a Stepless Rotary called Jetbeam RRT-01, on the right is an HDS Rotary, that has 24 steps (both can use the same 16340 size battery):
alRZUer.jpg

for my size, weight, UI preferences, when I found the RRT-01, I sold the HDS

Last edited:

Midnightglass

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for all of the replies so far - wow, a wealth of information already.

Whoa lots of variety to research and try here, awesome info!

MD2 (primarily to run on 1x 18650) then MD3 (primarily to run on 2x AA) for first couple of hosts.

Thank you for the follow-up - excellent info on how to build out a tight Malkoff collection from the ground up.

Would love a modified Malkoff (MD2 or MDC) as my first, but should probably humble myself and pick a stock light to start. Might still be a Malkoff though..

I'd buy an M361 in any flavor with an MD2 host and tricap. It would have saved me from buying so many other more expensive lights.

I learned a lot from HDS lights but if I had to start again I'd skip over them and start with a MD2/MD3/MD4 and go crazy with Dropins.

Thank you both, and more Malkoff love. I'm sensing a pattern here...

I think I'd re-start my from-ground-zero collection with an Oveready BOSS 70... A HCRI HDS 18650 Clicky. HDS HCRI Rotary in 123. Add in a neutral Hound Dog 18650. Scour the WTS for the V4 Wildcat I just got. A Malkoff N-LLL Module or three. Empty MD2 w/hi low ring for said dropins. SF 6P host. Okluma DC1, Tana E1e Triple build. McG Mule. A Pak-lite or two. I'm sure I could think of a few more.

Yep expected to see a Boss 70 eventually, and more HDS. Those seem like strong picks for keeping stock vs Malkoff and others really being great for modding.

Makes sense, for the higher price, you'd expect to be able to run Boss and HDS stock (and have more options available). Love the sturdy and customizable build qualtiy these seem to offer.

I would start with One-Off GTvn with Luminus CFT-90 LED.
Wow that's a stunning purple, and what a light. I'm guessing you prioritize having a workhorse first over edc (well, your forum name is search and rescue after all..)

Next light purchase after the headlight would be a Nitecore Tip 2. That covers my edc needs and some lower levels. Then a Lucy Lux pro solar inflatable lantern would be next. It could charge the tip 2 in the field. Then I'd want something bright. A Nitecore TM06s will do. 4000 lumens for an hour is enough (doesn't dim down after seconds like most lights). These lights wouldn't be all I get, but it would be a good start.
Thank you for the follow-up, and I like how you've thought about your progression and using the solar lantern as a means to charge the Tip 2 if necessary.

Lanterns don't seem as discussed much but seem to offer high utility in certain situations.

Also... Where's the Fenix?! Mostly Nitecore so far haha

Welcome to the forum

And I agree that learning to swap LEDs can transform a light from something I choose not to use,
to a light that brings a smile to my face.

One of the variables you will want to consider, is the size of the light, and size of the battery it uses.

Thank you for the warm welcome and follow-up! (and apologies to CPF for asking where to buy, will go back and read rules more closely)

Those size pics really highlight how different form factors can be for given battery sizes.

Also neat to see how they can reflect the design philosophies of the companies behind them.

Really appreciate the thoughtul responses from everyone so far. This is hugely helpful for a new person just getting started.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first order of business would be heading to the store to get a few decent lights. Most likely a Mag ML25 or two and maybe a small AA/AAA light for EDC if I could find something suitable.There are a couple retailers offering Fenix and Streamlight locally so I might end up getting a CR123 light of some sort. Definitely grab a couple Nite-Ize PR base drop-ins and go after hosts. Pretty sure there is a store nearby that still has NOS 3C Mags that use the old PR base bulbs. How many lights I came home with would depend on what I could find.

Online ordering,Malkoff would be at the top of the list. MD2s and M61Ns,probably start with a NLL as I don't believe there are any NLLL/219 LLL available currently. Probably have to look for some low cost P60 hosts as well to stay within a realistic budget, maybe Lumens Factory. I would have to place an order for batteries too.

Pak-lites next. Low tech they may be but I use them daily now and they serve as reliable, long run time and low cost emergency lights.

Since whatever I could find in a B&M store is unlikely to satisfy my EDC desires I would probably go after a decent EDC light next. I can get the Olight i3T fairly cheap and it makes for a decent EDC despite the lack of neutral tint. The i3T would suffice while I agonize between a Malkoff 1XCR123 or a Peak Logan.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Latest and Greatest Most Popular New Lights

are sometimes referred to generically as the "Anduril Lights"..

They use a single button UI, that will ramp up or down to select whatever brightness is desired.

With lots of bells and whistles, relatively inexpensive, available in Noble Metals, High CRI LED options, and several different battery sizes.

if youre into triples, and quads, with a selection of blinkies with names like candle and lightning storm, and with multicolored auxiliary lights, have a gander at this very popular quad LED Anduril light:

and lastly, here is video of my personal recommendation for a GroundHogLight you can buy today, the Jetbeam RRT-01

Last edited:

Havok

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably start with a AA Maglite as a GP EDC, then add a dedicated thrower, and a flooder.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Midnight Glass, can I call you MG?

I really enjoyed the topic of this thread as it has caused me to rewind the movie of my collection that began in about 2015. Before that I had flashlights much like the average person does. Some general purpose like Havok said (welcome to the site Havok btw) and some were specific to a task but none were very bright. Then I discovered cpf while researching how to install an LED inline an existing automotive circuit into an already maxed out circuit. I wanted to add more interior lighting to a car I was working on.

At work I discovered the LED flashlight had become much brighter than my old 1990's minimag so I set out on a quest to explore those new gadgets. What car? I forgot all about the car after learning not only are LED lights pretty bright but that flashlights going back as far as the 1920's could be easily found and for not a lot of bread. Before I knew it there were hundreds of flashlights from various eras scattered about my home.

I also learned that as popular as flashlights are and have been for a few generations not a lot of history was written about them. I set out to learn as much as I could about the subject while collecting some from various companies who played a role in the process. Antique cop lights made by companies many never heard of, lights from both world wars, lights from post WW2, the 1950's and 1960's, alluminum tube lights from the 70's and 80's, some military grade from the 90's, numerous general purpose lights from throughout flashlight history, LED lights going back to early tech and some modern approach.

Knowing what I know about the technology I'd probably not end up with close to a thousand flashlights, but I'd certainly have a few dozen. Most by manufacturers not so popular around here, not because they are no good. But more to do with the historical aspect. Many made by the players who changed the flashlight world a long time ago. And some just because they make great work lights.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they can still sometimes be found on EBay, a Surefire G2, and go to Lumens Factory to get an LED drop in. After that a Tool 2.0 AA with some 14500s, and a Lumintop Gt Mini and GT Micro. Maybe a couple of Sofirn C01Ses as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Back to Year Zero of my flashlight purchasing? (Actually, not a bad idea quite frankly.)

Very first would be a SureFire Tactician.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well as much as I dearly love my every growing collection of retro incans, I`d have to say I`d start with my Astrolux S1 with the 18350 battery, it`s not much bigger than a lipstick and lights up an entire room on level 3 for 2 hours bright enough to read anywhere in there, it`ll do super low enough just for one person to read or give out more than 1000lm (not sure how long for though?). and I`d have my 12 Cree led 4x 18650 "coke can" torch as well, the amount of light that puts out is just sick! so between the 2 it covers all my needs.
Then I`d start my collection of incans that take No.8 Ever Ready batteries again (I love those!)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No. 8 batteries……interesting. Perhaps an 18650 in a sleeve could work? LifePo4 chemistry for a similar output?

If I woke up and had no flashlights I'd probably make one of those ghetto candles to suppliment my BiC lighter……until I could get to a store and buy a flashlight. Neat idea Alicia.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
No. 8 batteries……interesting. Perhaps an 18650 in a sleeve could work? LifePo4 chemistry for a similar output?

If I woke up and had no flashlights I'd probably make one of those ghetto candles to suppliment my BiC lighter……until I could get to a store and buy a flashlight. Neat idea Alicia.

Thanks, and yes, I use 18650s to replace the No.8 batteries, by the time I`v added the protection circuit with a 10mm strip of kapton tape down the length and given it a color wrap and another clear wrap over that, it`s a little bigger than usual and fits most torches directly, for some larger barreled torches (even a No.8 would have rattled a bit in there), there`s a brand of cling flim that I buy and it`s inner tube is Exactly perfect for making an 18650 into a No.8 battery size even with the protection circuit ;)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the follow-up, and I like how you've thought about your progression and using the solar lantern as a means to charge the Tip 2 if necessary.

Lanterns don't seem as discussed much but seem to offer high utility in certain situations.

Also... Where's the Fenix?! Mostly Nitecore so far haha

In 2007, Fenix was the best. They had just replaced luxeon l.e.d.s in they're lights with the cree xr-e which was twice as efficient. Their P3D, L2D, L1D, and P2D were hard to beat. They could be locked out, they were short enough for pocket carry, the bodies were interchangeable and replaceable, and they were lithium compatible. You could saw one in half or deal with leaky batteries stuck in it by replacing the middle section for around $10. Fast forward to now, they had to deal with a lawsuit with surefire and radically changed their design. Now their lights have no lockout, are longer due to a side switch, the bodies aren't interchangeable, no replacement parts, lithium compatibility is hit or miss, and there are several companies that took their ideas and made even better lights. Olight improved on build quality, 4sevens added a sublumen low. Now we have Klaurus, Nitecore, and others that added more competition. Currently, I think Nitecore is probably the best for lumens to size ratio for a light. Makes sense to carry around a small edc that can do the most tasks. The Tip 2 goes from 1 to 720 lumens, is USB rechargeable, and has strong magnets so I can stick it to metal for hands free use. Fenix got me hooked, but there are several companies just as good now.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd definitely take this as a sign from the gods that I should own less stuff. I'd like to say that I'd just buy an HDS rotary and be done with it, but that seems unlikely.

Here's what I think I would go for (and hopefully stop after):

HDS Rotary CR123
HDS Rotary 18650
HDS Clicky CR123
Malkoff MDC li-ion neutral
Malkoff MD2 with M361N
Zebralight SC64w HI
Zebralight H600Fc
Oveready Z70 host with SST20 P60vn
Lumintop Tool AAA or 4/7 Preon

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I woke up today, and saw my shadow, so I bought this
CopperGroundHogTool

click pic for video unboxing

Happy Interdependence Day!

Last edited:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Easy, an old, beat up Surefire 6p. Get it, try it out, and then start finding all the options to upgrade it, either with junky but functional parts from China, or premium parts closer to home. Oveready drop in? Hot pink cerakote? You name it. Reminds me of a stock Chevy 350. You can leave it alone or you can start monkeying with it so it goes a lot faster.

Since (according to the rules of this game) all of the classic vintage SureFire hosts are now discontinued, I would start with an order for a big box of Malkoff parts ... MD2 / MD3 / MD4 tubes, tailcaps, bezels, HD / WC / dropin light engines.

Yeah, that's the tough part about starting all over again! I got heavily into LEDs with Nitrolon and 6P hosts with Malkoff dropins. I'd have to find a new host or cough up a bit more to find old ones on eBay. No doubt I'd still buy all of my Elzetta lights again and another slew of Malkoff. If I couldn't access a bunch of old Surefire hosts I'd buy Malkoffs.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, and yes, I use 18650s to replace the No.8 batteries, by the time I`v added the protection circuit with a 10mm strip of kapton tape down the length and given it a color wrap and another clear wrap over that, it`s a little bigger than usual and fits most torches directly, for some larger barreled torches (even a No.8 would have rattled a bit in there), there`s a brand of cling flim that I buy and it`s inner tube is Exactly perfect for making an 18650 into a No.8 battery size even with the protection circuit ;)

I have never seen a No. 8 battery, but the dimensions are supposed to be close to the same as a protected 21700.

stuart

Newly Enlightened
1. Surefire EDC L1T

2. Malkoff M61NL in either: MD2 hi/low ring, or a Malkoff 16650 or 16340 body with a VME. (or a 6p)

3. Hound dog 18650N