hallway beamshot comparisons- 100LEDshowerhead, P91, many others. enjoy[56k warning]

mdocod

Flashaholic
I got a bunch of lights from Dae over at qualitychinagoods today and thought it would be nice to include them in a comparison for everyone to see...

There are some incans here, some single high power LED lights, and some clusters.... Many of the lights here are familiar to the CPF croud, so this comparison makes it possible to judge the output of some of those china lights that you may or not have any interest in... I personally enjoy having cheap lights around that I can tinker and toy and play with at my leasure- with no worries of breaking or dropping or scuffing... Some of the cheapos are actually built fairly well- the little 1xAA lights (ghost and xnova) are great examples of value.... the Wave, and the showerhead, are pretty rough in build- but are fun. both have great white tint to them.

The main thing I wanted to compare tonight- with the camera, was the Surefire P91 LA vs the "100LED showerhead" lights.... I got one in the mail today, and it's quite the animal... It's built like complete crap and serves as 99% novelty item- but with the resistor removed- this thing is pretty darned bright.... I'd venture to guess that it is in the ballpark of 100+ lumens.. I figured as long as I am getting setup to take some comparisons, I might as well include a whole set of lights....

[just edited in the "56k warning", lots of pictures]

Also included are some other lights I got today-
5 LED Xnova
12 LED Ghost II
16 LED Wave

added some more lights tonight (5/30)
a Nuwai 253L luxV and an HID spotlight just for fun.

contenders.jpg

baseline.jpg

minimag.jpg

garrity.jpg

xnova.jpg

Riverrock2aaa.jpg

ghost.jpg

riverrock2aa.jpg

taskforce1.jpg

wave.jpg

Dorcysuper.jpg

taskforce3w.jpg

28led.jpg

mag3d.jpg

ledbeam.jpg

Nuwai.jpg

showerhead.jpg

sfp91.jpg

3152.jpg

here's comparisons of the showerhead and the P91 with faster exposure time.. this way they aren't so terrably overexposed- easier to compare...
showerhead130.jpg

sfp91130.jpg

showerhead110.jpg

sfp91110.jpg

Last edited:

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Re: hallway beamshot comparisons- 100LEDshowerhead, P91, many others... enjoy

I love the 28 led chinese lights. Have two of them in fact. Had one for over a year, one of the led's went out but other than that it worls perfect. Good light for just lighting up a whole room.

Also going to pick up one of those dorcy 1w friday.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: hallway beamshot comparisons- 100LEDshowerhead, P91, many others. enjoy[56k warning]

Gotta love the P91! :)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: hallway beamshot comparisons- 100LEDshowerhead, P91, many others. enjoy[56k warning]

I've been waiting for this thread all month, thanks mdocod!

mdocod

Flashaholic

yea- that P91 is really something... even overexposes the camera at 1/10 of a second- amazing how wide and bright that thing is- the funny thing is comparing how small that ultrafire flashlight is compared to many of the larger lights- yet still totally trouncing them in overall output...

oh yea.. all comparisons are made with a 1/2 second exposure time except where noted otherwise... the first shot is with the hallway lights on....

WNG

Enlightened
Nice shots. Great comparison of some popular lights. I guess I'm not the only fan of the 28-LED chinese-made light. Bright little sucker!

schrenz

Enlightened

Friend of mine bought a 26Led light at ebay, the switch broke after two days:lolsign: , nothing to rely on!

missionaryman

Enlightened

love the 28 LED lights, bought one for every member of our New Guinea mission team - great all round pocket size cheap light, good flood and good beam colour.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
yea- that P91 is really something... even overexposes the camera at 1/10 of a second- amazing how wide and bright that thing is- the funny thing is comparing how small that ultrafire flashlight is compared to many of the larger lights- yet still totally trouncing them in overall output...

oh yea.. all comparisons are made with a 1/2 second exposure time except where noted otherwise... the first shot is with the hallway lights on....

Sorry, which was the ultrafire light?

Thanks for the interesting comparison and great beamshots!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just bought a 29 LED flashlight at Target(Durabuilt) Its higher than what i expected, bright and good flood. Going to give it to my uncle when we go camping later on today!

mdocod

Flashaholic

the one that says "SF P91 2x17670" is a 4 cell ultrafire body with a Surefire P91 in it.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

What was the value of the Showerhead's resistor and how much current did the 100 led array get after it was removed? 2 amps? Your running it on rechargeables, right?

mdocod

Flashaholic
my multimeter tells me that the resistor was 1ohm... And yes- the ~2amp current was measured on 4xNIMH (tenergy 2600) (after the resister was removed)

mdocod

Flashaholic
On NIMH with the resistor removed- the 100LED light should run for around an hour- depending on the the quality of the batteries... I don't think I would use it for any longer than 5 minuts at a time with the resistor removed- to reduce the risk of oveheating an LED...

for some reaon I seem to remember measuring the 28LED on NIMH at around 1 amp... which puts individual LED drive at over 30ma... so possibly a bit overdriven on NIMH- I think the 28LED light is really designed for use with alkalines if you plan on running it for extended periods of time.... On NIMH- I fear it heats up the LEDs too much and the output drops considerably.. I think this is why the runtime plots on NIMH look really weird over on flashlightreviews.com.. it's not that the batteries are draining that fast- it's that the design depends on the voltage sag of AAA alkalines- without the severe sag- the LEDs start to run too after about 5-10 minuts..

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
that 100 LED showerhead... that's one bright little light! Just might have to order one up! I like the P91 too.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your work and great photos. I really like the cheapo chinese lights. So inexpensive and some work very, very well. As you say, the great thing about them is you tend to use them a lot because you're not afraid to bang them around and if you lose them or whatever, you're not out much.

With $50.00-$350.00 lights now that get criticized for having even the tiniest marks on them, (we're talking FLASHLIGHTS here!), if you decide to sell them, it's refreshing to have these cheapos for next to nothing that work fine.

I have the 100 LED "shower head" and I think it's a fine light and fills a room with flood. Even though it's nothing too great, I slightly disagree with you because mine actually is built pretty well and I was pleased with it's quality. The junk part is the battery holder but as long as your careful when loading it, it works well. I've found out that there are a couple of different manufacturers of the shower head and one does a better job than the other but there's no choice in which one you will receive.

I chose to run mine with the resistor as it's still pretty bright and no worries about overdriving those delicate 5mm LEDs'. I really agree with you that it is a novelty but everyone that sees mine, loves it and wants one.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Great shots, thanx for the work ! :thumbsup:

Nomally I only use those expensive lights, but nothing can beat the look of a big fat multi-5mm head with dozens of LEDs ... :devil: ...

bernie