Hand Polishing My Flashlight?

Noctis

Enlightened
I've used oven cleaner myself (easy off, pump spray) to remove anodizing. Yes, it is still quite nasty to work with, but works quite well.
Yes, I went for this one myself since all of the drain cleaners were gels and didn't make any mention of sodium hydroxide.

I personally think I got the better option. The stripping is coming along smoothly if a little uneven on one side. I'm letting it "soak" for a couple of hours to make sure everything is taken off, though I don't think the nail polish does anything to protect it since the areas where I applied it are getting stripped as well.

Noctis

Enlightened
How a fine wire wheel on a Dremel? I think it would also leave behind a cool looking finish.

I Don't know if this would be the best route, but the others seem like a messy situation to deal with.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
I'd have to pass on the wire wheel. Without the anodizing, the aluminum is so soft that a fresh Scotchbrite pad scratches it up easily.

The EasyOff is actually the simplest method. Though I still missed a few spots and will need to redo it tomorrow.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
With any mechanical method you will always keep the simple problem; Anodizing is hard, the alu is soft. So you have to push and work hard to get through the surface layer but as soon as you're through that same force will just eat away at the bare aluminium FAST and that will leave marks! The only way i know that will reliably remove the surface treatment is either chemical or precision instrumentation (like a lathe, but even that is still difficult with good anodizing layers).

thebeans

Newly Enlightened
So do you have any pics of your stripped / polished DECREE yet? I'd love to see how it looks. I may want to do mine. Thanks!

thebeans

Newly Enlightened
Looks very nice Compasillo.:clap:

Similar to mine after stripping with Greased Lightening.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compasillo's thread link has the information you need. In the thread, you'll see mention of the Greased Lightning method, which will slowly and safely remove the anodizing without pitting the metal. You can find Greased Lightning at Walmart and many other stores that carry cleaners and degreasers.