Have You Found Your Perfect Light Yet

fishinfool

Enlightened
I don't think I will ever find the perfect light because every other light that catches my eye is my new perfect light. :thumbsup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm relatively easy to please although I can always find something to "improve" in any light.

The only thing I would change with my current "perfect" light which is a 6P clone with a 3 mode XP-G R5 drop-in is a narrower spill beam angle (longer bezel would take care of that). I've changed the stock switch to a forward clicky and the tail cap button to green (light is black).

The ITP A3 with low,med,high rather than med,low,high would be my "perfect" small light.

That's mainly because I don't care about titanium, trits, strobes, crenelated bezels, or specific UI's. Nor do I care about sapphire glass, tailstanding or 1000 + lumen output.

I actually use the ITP A3 the most of any light and in many different ways....around the neck, clipped on a cap brim and for many different purposes...reading a menu, climbing/hiking, taking out the garbage at night.

The XP-G drop-in with host is actually the only light I need if I could only have 1 light.

I actually don't want to become a connoisseur of flashlight features. It reminds me a little too much of solid gold faucets. :)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My perfect light has not been invented yet. The beam would be flawless , no hotspot , just a completely even beam.
The beam would be fully adjustable from a pencil of light to a wall of light and the otf lumens would be infinitely adjustabe from .01 lm to 1000 lm. I would like all this to be done with dual twisty U.I. , the front twisty for beam shape and a rear twisty for output. For the batteries I would prefer AA or a similar size and availability. This light would have an unconditional lifetime warranty on all parts and labor and cost less than $40.

Well , a fella can dream can't he ?
After all , current reality consists of the dreams of yesterday......

I was watching "Apollo 13" with my son last weekend and his jaw dropped when Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) said that they could now fit a computer in a single room. He is growing up in a world far removed from the one I grew up in.

I now have a phone that fits in my hand that's 100 times more powerful than that computer and it cost $90.

You won't have to wait too long before you get your perfect light.

My perfect light is my EX10 SP. I can't even begin to think how sad I'll feel the day it dies:mecry:.

So I'll cheer myself up by buying another light:twothumbs

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. It's sitting inside my head. I know exactly what I want and it's my perfect light. And, unfortunately, I've all but given up on getting it made. See "custom" isn't really custom. People will try to tell you that they are happy to build you something but 10 times out of 10, in my humble experience, it's more a comprise. Sometimes they can't physically do a feature because of the material or an equipment limitation. Sometimes they just refuse. And sometimes I will balk because of cost issue, and that doesn't mean the cost of materials. What you want to charge and what I think the light is worth can be ballfields away. And I haven't ever seen a stock light from a company, big or small, get one completely right.

So sadly, in the material world, no I have not found one. And I haven't a purchased a light in over 2 years now. But every now and then I still drop back in holding out hope to find someone so I can pull the light from my head and make it a physical reality.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I'm not quite there yet but the stroke of genius aka the MagCharger is the closest thing I've come across to perfect.

Yes it's got it's faults, a non-circular spot beam,a black hole flood beam and a very slow charge but it's practicality,build quality, finish, durability, low running cost, the ability to throw a beam over a considerable distance and bang-per-buck is still unbeatable

OK-Smaller,lighter and brighter do exist but at a cost of greater initial cost and/or running costs.

Maybe Mr Maglica will deliver that for me perfect torch in the form of an LED version c/w a Lithium-Ion battery,a much faster charge and a perfect circular spot/flood.

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
I'm very close with my Ra. I think it lacks 4 things, 3 of which are, IMO, easily incorporated.

1) A hexagonal bezel providing anti-roll capability without having to mount a clip.

2) A slightly longer tail cap so it will tail stand. I know about removing the battery and pressing lightly on the rubber boot while reassembling but in my experience this has been an unreliable fix.

3) Slots milled into the light to accommodate tritium vials. Just because. :D

4) I saved the toughest one for last. 2 secondary battery tubes permitting the use of AA and AAA primary and rechargeable cells. I'd run 123s normally and keep the other tubes in the glovebox or around the house. I don't expect the same level of output but it would make it a TRUE emergency light. I'd sell every other single-cell light I own and have a few of these on hand.

FWIW,

Dan

Last edited:

Moka

Enlightened
I have perfect lights for different situations...

My Sundrop XR-U is the perfect 'around the house' light... It's just beautiful to look at and use...

My most used EDC in my rotation is my Lunasol 20, IMHO this is almost the perfect EDC, the only nitpick I have with this light is the bluish tints of the leds, eventually may have to find someone (any suggestions) to mod it with some newer emitters... =)

My 'perfect' light, or the light closest to perfection, is my RA Clicky 140Cn, one of the originals from Henry... Barring the Butter knife, oops I mean Clip... this is the closest anyone's got to a perfect light for ME... To make it perfect... a) 200 OTF lumens on high, 240ish on burst would be nice, b) Hi-CRI emitter (at that output level), and c) AA Tube available for a secondary option for cells.
All of that encased in Titanium would also please me :twothumbs :p

sappyg

Enlightened
I have perfect lights for different situations...

My Sundrop XR-U is the perfect 'around the house' light... It's just beautiful to look at and use...

My most used EDC in my rotation is my Lunasol 20, IMHO this is almost the perfect EDC, the only nitpick I have with this light is the bluish tints of the leds, eventually may have to find someone (any suggestions) to mod it with some newer emitters... =)

My 'perfect' light, or the light closest to perfection, is my RA Clicky 140Cn, one of the originals from Henry... Barring the Butter knife, oops I mean Clip... this is the closest anyone's got to a perfect light for ME... To make it perfect... a) 200 OTF lumens on high, 240ish on burst would be nice, b) Hi-CRI emitter (at that output level), and c) AA Tube available for a secondary option for cells.
All of that encased in Titanium would also please me :twothumbs :p

dreamer!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The SureFire L1. When I send it to Milky in a year or so. ;)
Haven't found THE perfect light yet... but i'm sure having fun finding it
LOL :thumbsup:
Perfect light for what? EDC? Power outages? Self defense? Home defense? Search and Rescue? Camping? Roadside emergencies? I doubt one light can do all those.
The thread is "your perfect" not "the perfect" :naughty:
Exactly. :)
It really does make me wonder if I need to keep all these other lights around.:thinking:
That, sir, is CRAZY talk. :banned:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have indeed found MY perfect light; it is a McGizmo Haiku. It has been in my pocket since it's arrival!!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
For me a single perfect EDC will probably never exist. I like to carry a single level light and a multi mode light. Usually my 6P or E2e gets the most use but I also have a multi mode LED to back it up (either a fenix or HDS). So with two lights I feel capable of performing any task on your list. Though I'm not real sure what search and rescue is I think my 6P would work as long as I have a spare battery.

I'm looking hard at the quark tactical as that seems to give a single level light with a high and a low... I know that doesn't make any sense, but it does!

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
I already have my perfect knife/multi-tool, a Victorinox Cybertool 29. It's not the best blade in the world but I use it and the screwdriver every day.

As far as the perfect EDC flashlight, I keep jumping back and forth between the SF L1 and L4. I love the UI and size of the L1. I have the newer L4 120L and it's the perfect beam for my uses but the it's a bit too cold for me and only having high sucks sometimes. Maybe I need to send them both away to a modder and have them fused together with a neutral/warm emitter.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
not yet,but almost.it has to be my ra twisty 140.perfect edc light,except for the lack of clip.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Not just yet but I'm getting closer all the time.
Within 5 years I'll have what I need.

I want 3 easily programable modes with a high of around 500. The high mode needs to run for 9 hours straight on one set of primary 123's without getting hot. I want a totally uniform neutral tint with a CRI of 95+. It's got to be able to tailstand. I want a fully round body with a clip option that does not look look like something is missing if it's not currently on the light. I want real throw and decent spill too without any artifacts. Oh and I want it pocketable in regular jeans, not cargo pockets either.

Sounds good anyway.

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I think it's funny that we all have such different ideas as to what is neccesary. The biggest thing for me is UI but it seems as though the most popular requirement is bright, small, and long runtime

MIC-1

Newly Enlightened
The perfect light for me is my most used light.

It's the 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical programmed on maximum and moonlight mode.

The programmable output, forward clicky, it's size and price makes it perfect for me.. for now.

Last edited:

FerFAL

Newly Enlightened
After quite a long search, this is currently my perfect light!!

img5773small.jpg

img5772small.jpg

Its all i need for an EDC at just the right price/looks/feel and everything ;)

Nice, what light is that ? Brand and model?

Fer