HDS 16340 INR Batteries LiNiMnCoO2

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was expecting to see updated runtime specs for the new 16340 INR batteries, because previously (as detailed in the chart above) the INR cells don't seem to give the operator much (if any) notification that the battery is running low with gradual step-down time ("Elegant low battery warning"), as can be seen in the in the ANSI vs Tactical (down to 50 lumens) runtimes.

For example looking at the chart above for my EDC LE:

CR123, High (110 lumens)
2:45 mins down to 50 lumens
3:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 30 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

16340 INR, High (110 lumens)
2:15 mins down to 50 lumens
2:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 0 - <1 min step-down between 50 to 25 lumens, i.e. almost no advance warning (at least between these lumen outputs)

16340 IMR, High (110 lumens)
1:45 mins down to 50 lumens
1:30 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 15 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

Although to be fair, running maximum 250 lumens with the INR cell would give 4 mins warning between 50 - 25 lumens, so I estimate a bit more for the total step-down runtime from 250 lumens; plus you do get a longer overall runtime than with the IMR cell.

So although INR maybe one of the safest battery chemistries if doesn't seem to go down to well with the "Light to get you home" philosophy. I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see some runtime test data or do it myself.

BTW who is the manufacturer for these 16340 INR cells? If known we can then check to see if there are some reviews already out there.

All rechargeable 16340 batteries have a faster step down process in HDS lights compared to Primaries due to the difference in battery capacity. It is explained in the HDS FAQ's in the section: what are rechargeable lithium ion batteries. It is in the tenth paragraph down.

i am enjoying my new HDS INR 16340's. Decided to order an additional four HDS 16340s (for a total of eight) and recycle all seven of my Efest 16340's.

The Efest 16340 batteries I tested did well on run time but in doing some research on the Company it seems like Efest is primarily a sales organization that sells batteries for Chinese battery manufacturers or rewraps B and C rejected cells from major battery manufacturers. I could be wrong. There is a lot of uncertainty in Chinese manufacturing. I watched some Efest videos and read some of their literature and was turned off by the organization. Using a flame of fire as part of their logo did not help. Then, I googled efest rewrap and found several articles that were disturbing.

So, I wondered what am I really getting as a battery if 16340 Efest batteries cost $3.70 at retail and each and three different organizations (manufacturer, Efest, and retailer - BatteryJunction) had to handle it and earn a profit.

My guess is that HDS is under contract not to disclose the battery manufacturer and can only say "new premium batteries" as Dan did in post #21.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested three Efest IMR 16340 batteries and three HDS INR 700mAh 16340 batteries in three HDS lights - Nichia 219b 4000K; XPG3 5000K; and Nichia 219c 5700K (High Noon).

The test was simple. Turn the HDS light on to Level 24 with burst enabled. Record the time the light stayed on before stepping down to level 22. With Burst enabled each HDS light automatically steps down from level 24 to level 23 within about 40 seconds.

A couple of interesting findings. The High Noon seems more efficient and lasts longer. There seems to be more run time consistency among the HDS batteries indicating a higher quality. I recycled all seven of my Efest 16340 batteries (see post above for why).

Results are below:

16340-testing-8-22-19.jpg

Last edited: