HDS 16340 INR Batteries LiNiMnCoO2

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was expecting to see updated runtime specs for the new 16340 INR batteries, because previously (as detailed in the chart above) the INR cells don't seem to give the operator much (if any) notification that the battery is running low with gradual step-down time ("Elegant low battery warning"), as can be seen in the in the ANSI vs Tactical (down to 50 lumens) runtimes.

For example looking at the chart above for my EDC LE:

CR123, High (110 lumens)
2:45 mins down to 50 lumens
3:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 30 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

16340 INR, High (110 lumens)
2:15 mins down to 50 lumens
2:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 0 - <1 min step-down between 50 to 25 lumens, i.e. almost no advance warning (at least between these lumen outputs)

16340 IMR, High (110 lumens)
1:45 mins down to 50 lumens
1:30 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 15 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

Although to be fair, running maximum 250 lumens with the INR cell would give 4 mins warning between 50 - 25 lumens, so I estimate a bit more for the total step-down runtime from 250 lumens; plus you do get a longer overall runtime than with the IMR cell.

So although INR maybe one of the safest battery chemistries if doesn't seem to go down to well with the "Light to get you home" philosophy. I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see some runtime test data or do it myself.

BTW who is the manufacturer for these 16340 INR cells? If known we can then check to see if there are some reviews already out there.

The table provides information for several representative battery configurations. The tests were done with new premium batteries on an integrating sphere at room temperature. Per the ANSI FL-1standard, runtimes under an hour are rounded to the nearest minute, runtimes from 1 to 10 hours are rounded to the nearest 15 minutes and runtimes over 10 hours are rounded to the nearest hour.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eagle has landed!!!
img-3988.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these going to start be included with the lights like the 18650s are, or are the lights still going to ship with primaries?

They sure do look pretty...i like the red wrapping:D

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these going to start be included with the lights like the 18650s are, or are the lights still going to ship with primaries?

They sure do look pretty...i like the red wrapping:D

Primaries will continue to ship with the 123 lights. We are offering these for those who want a safer alternative to ICR cells but without the loss in capacity. People who order 18650 tubes (when we have them in stock... aaahhhhhhhhhhh!) know they will have to have a way to charge them, but folks who order a 123 often do so because they can use primary or rechargeable. Just more options, and options are good.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
18650, can I use ANY battery chemistry batteries without damage?

AA, can I use both alkaline AND lithium primary batteries without damage?

16340, this new one... any possible way to get shipped to Europe? Or do you have dealers in EU that have them?

Finally, where's the dealer link now on the HDS website?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo

16340, this new one... any possible way to get shipped to Europe? Or do you have dealers in EU that have them?

Yes, you can use any 18650 chemistry, it is just the INR chemistry has the largest capacity and is the safest.
AA Primary lithium is fine in the 2AA tube. In fact, we are now shipping the 2AA lights with primary lithium batteries.
Our dealers do not have the 16340 INR batteries yet, but I expect they will start stocking them soon. Knives and Tools is probably the closet to you.
The dealer link was removed over a year ago.

GoVegan

Enlightened
@Hogo

It's important to understand that no particular battery chemistry will damage a HDS light, only exceeding the recommended voltage can damage it. i.e. 16340 batteries up to 4.2V when fully charged (3.6V nominal) are OK, but using 2 x CR123 (in a 18650 body) would be 6.4V (5.6V nominal) and would damage the light.

The only other thing to keep in mind is to not use IFR (Li-FePO4) batteries as they are 3V, so the HDS circuitry can't detect that it is not a standard CR123 and hence the stepdown will not be handled correctly and can damage the battery though over-discharge.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Our dealers do not have the 16340 INR batteries yet, but I expect they will start stocking them soon. Knives and Tools is probably the closet to you.

After the recent "450+ lumens" advertised specs for new HDS lights by the one and only dealer in Japan, I don't think I could trust this particular dealer; and international shipping and handling from HDS is 75 USD, so these new cells are too cost prohibitive for me.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you already have an order regarding this rechargables by K&T. I ask because, I will not buy any LiIon cells overseas anymore.... Therefore I'd be happy even if I wait a little bit longer.

But we can all be lucky, Google remembers everything: :devil::devil::devil: :devil:
https://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Dealers/

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the other thread about the new batteries, there is mention of HDS testing as well as work done by an "independent" tester. Can we get any info on this testing (such as names of the other batteries included in said tests and the exact type of HDS light(s) used for the tests), or will this be proprietary HDS info? :)

It will all be published when we list the batteries on the web site. Just taking us some time to get it together while trying to get the titanium lights out the door. I'll also put up a link to the "independent tester" so you can see their results. Discharge rates, charge rates, etc. All the good stuff.

Now on the HDS web page: 16340 INR Batteries

Any timetable on posting the requested and promised info about these batteries?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any timetable on posting the requested and promised info about these batteries?

A Henry 2 weeks...

Neither HDS or myself have any control over it. It's all when the independent tester decides to publish it. He has been testing batteries for years and has several on his site. I just checked his website and they are not posted there yet.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Labeled as 700mAh and that's what it does. Interestingly the Vapcell offers a few more mAh, so much for my theory of them coming from the same factory.