HDS Clicky 140, 200 & N170 Low Mode Runtime Tests

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW HDS Clicky 140 & 200 Runtime Tests

Well it finally drained the battery. Darkness happened at 12:00AM last night for a total of 465hrs (19 days 9hrs)

I think that is respectable!

What light did this?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

What light did this?

100W Ra Clicky

BTW, an update on mine: Has been shut off [other members of the household] twice for an unknown period time, each less than 10 hours. Otherwise, has been running continuously for ~190 hours. 465 hours sounds excellent, though

Pöbel

Enlightened

Well it finally drained the battery. Darkness happened at 12:00AM last night for a total of 465hrs (19 days 9hrs)

I think that is respectable!

That's why i stick with the legacy models. I use low alot for camping and stuff. It's so convenient to be able to leave the light on during a night with virtually no impact on runtime, so you or others can get up without waking others they would stumble upon in total darkness.

nbp

Flashaholic
That is amazing! I am surprised the 100 went so long. That is significantly longer than my newer 140 or 200. I can't quite understand it.

Pöbel

Enlightened

As stated in this thread the legacy models are (much) more effiecient on lower models than the current Versions (ACME).

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

As stated in this thread the legacy models are (much) more effiecient on lower models than the current Versions (ACME).

Just for clarification, do you mean legacy, as in Pre-Novatac? OR the older gen. Ra Clicky series?

Pöbel

Enlightened

The Ra aera lights, Ra Clicky to be specific.

notsofast

Enlightened

That is amazing! I am surprised the 100 went so long. That is significantly longer than my newer 140 or 200. I can't quite understand it.

Maybe because the battery was a 4sevens.:laughing:

We should do a comparison on a setting that is approximately 6lms.

I have a Legacy 120 modified with an XP-G that I started yesterday. I am not expecting much difference in run time...we will see.

nbp

Flashaholic
notsofast said:
Maybe because the battery was a 4sevens.:laughing:

We should do a comparison on a setting that is approximately 6lms.

I have a Legacy 120 modified with an XP-G that I started yesterday. I am not expecting much difference in run time...we will see.

Sure thing, I'll do whatever you guys want.

Which Clicky, which setting, which cell? (older SF, newer Battery Station, new Ti Innovations)

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 140n is still chugging along. And will still do the full 10 second Burst [haven't let it run longer than that as i want to see how long it will ultimately run]. I'm honestly surprised by this. I started on the 8th, and it's the 27th, so after ~18 days of continuous run time I wouldn't have thought the cell would be able to provide enough current to light up "burst" setting.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

RA Clicky 140n Runtime test started: 7/8/12 8:21am

Ended: 7/29/12, sometime between 6:45 am and 3:00

Missing datapoints: Three periods when shut off for unknown period between 4 and 10 hours.

Est. Run time:~480 hours continuous

nbp

Flashaholic

Bump for recent discussions in the HDS 16 thread.

nbp

Flashaholic
NEW HDS Clicky 140 & 200 Runtime Tests

Ok guys - owing to new emitters and a new lower low, .02 lms I believe, I think new runtime tests are in order.

I recently received a new Clicky 170 neutral with the Nichia 219. I am going to do a runtime test on this light on its lowest mode to compare with my other Clickies from the previous tests.

The test started at 11:00pm CST on 7/15/14 and will run till these lights die. I will do my best to keep checking on them for an accurate endtime.

Let's have some fun! Who's got the :buddies: and :popcorn:?

Edit: The test is being done with a fresh Battery Station CR123.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recently received a new Clicky 170 neutral with the Nichia 219. I am going to do a runtime test on this light on its lowest mode to compare with my other Clickies from the previous tests.

Why not just measure the current draw? It should get you a ballpark estimate of the run time. Measure it at 2 or 3 states of battery charge, and it should be even more accurate.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEW HDS Clicky 140 & 200 Runtime Tests

I recently received a new Clicky 170 neutral with the Nichia 219. I am going to do a runtime test on this light on its lowest mode to compare with my other Clickies from the previous tests...

Do you have any other similar output sub-lumen lights that you can run side-by-side? Might be worthwhile since the incremental effort is not much more ;)

Why not just measure the current draw? It should get you a ballpark estimate of the run time. Measure it at 2 or 3 states of battery charge, and it should be even more accurate.

Not sure this method so accurate... I saw your runtime estimates for the SC52 and found them to significantly different from independent runtime tests. For example, you estimated 3.5hrs for H2b and Selfbuilt, another reviewer, and I got 2.5hrs, and L1 @ 3 days, while I got almost 5.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure this method so accurate... I saw your runtime estimates for the SC52 and found them to significantly different from independent runtime tests. For example, you estimated 3.5hrs for H2b and Selfbuilt, another reviewer, and I got 2.5hrs, and L1 @ 3 days, while I got almost 5.

That's why I suggested measuring the current draw at different levels of battery charge. You're right, when I measure it at only one state of charge, it just gives a rough estimate because current draw will differ depending on the battery voltage level. There's also likely some additional draw because of the ammeter. It's good for comparing the run-time estimates between different levels, probably not accurate for the absolute number, especially if the light isn't well regulated.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion to let you know whether you're going to be waiting 2 weeks or 6 months. Doing a real run time test is always more fun, though it does mean you lose a nice light for a long time.