HDS EDC UI - double-click behavior

Should double-click behavior be changed? Please read the first post before voting.

• Yes - make double-click select B, triple-click select C and quadruple-click select D.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • No - keep double-click toggling between B and C.

Votes: 71 83.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dyril

Newly Enlightened
mikra's suggestion is mine as well.

Personally, I think that mikra's suggestion may be a bit too confusing for me, since I'd need to keep track of what mode I'm in and click then think about where it is going to go.
It's intuitive as something like a ramping mechanism in case you know you wanted one of the doubleclick modes. Currently you have to keep track of which was last used since it reverts to this last-used mode.

Further thoughts: I just realized that A or D's level could be in between B and C's, so I would avoid this very configuration.

Last edited:

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
I voted no, I like it the way it is.

If you do decide to change it, swap one of the simpler "menu initiation "
commands for the new command and use the quad click for option or brightness menu entry, where it will be used less often.

By the way, thanks for developing and producing this beautifully useful light.
Russ.

CLBME

Enlightened
I agree with the quad click being too many it would seem, but of course I've not tried it so I may be premature in my thoughts.

I do understand what you're proposing and as an owner of your great lights- thank you for asking. I do like the idea of going from/to presets as you propose just not sure that I like the idea of 4 clicks.............how about a pass-around for demo's when you have one? Maybe four wouldn't be difficult especially if it's not an oft-used light level?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
All,

I think this idea has gone down in flames. :) At this point, the poll is 7 for and 41 against - roughly 85% against. I appreciate everyone's input and will continue to monitor this thread for additional comments.

In many engineering projects you are forced to make trade-offs. I think it is clear that the trade-offs we made 8 years ago were the correct ones. But it rarely hurts to re-evaluate your decisions once in a while.

Looking through the comments, let me address some of the items that were brought up.

Double-click, PH instead of quad-click... Double-click, PH is already taken - it is the brightness menu.

Always go to B from A or D, or make it configurable... In a very early implementation of this interface - in 2002, toggle did return from A or D to B. After much playing around, we made it remember which primary/secondary it had come from and made toggle return to there. That was a significant improvement. That was what eventually shipped. Adding more settable options will only complicate the interface.

Add additional reachable presets from off... Triple-click is already taken - it is used for the button lock. However, double-click might be free. To illustrate one possible difficulty, assume turn on is to preset B at 12 lumens and you make double-click from off turn on to preset D at 0.3 lumens. A requirement of the interface is that on the first click the light turns on to preset B - just in case there is only one click. So at a minimum, the light has to be on 12 lumens for one whole click duration before changing to 0.3 lumens. However, the current UI generally requires a command be completed prior to changing the lights value so the light would be on 12 lumens for the whole command time rather than just one click. This is not exactly optimum behavior from off.

Returning to the preset with the closest value... This is an intriguing idea. I'll have to think about this for a while.

Henry.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple no for me. At this point I can pick up any of your current lights and know exactly how to access all levels without the need of instructions. The current UI has become second nature for me. Good to hear you are always looking for improvements though. That is another example of what will keep me a loyal customer for as long as I need portable lighting tools.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is great that you asked, but I think my head would melt if I had to learn another interface (which I will undoubtedly be doing when I buy another light from you). Continuous improvement is a sign of a good business.

eala

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Funny, I was just using my HDS U60 the last couple of nights and I was thinking that the B and C modes were confusing even though I spaced out the outputs. I think, for me, it was due to the fact that, unlike most lights that force you to cycle from A->B->C, the U60 allows you can go from A->D, D->C or D->B, etc., and not have to cycle sequentially to the level you want. :thumbsup:

But, I would agree with many here that 4 clicks is too many so I voted to keep the current behaviour.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I like the current set up. Consider that you turn the light on and double click between middle modes... thats easy, you know where you are... if you double click from any of the other modes you are in one of the middle modes, if you double click again you are in the other middle mode.

This effectivly makes double click to get back to either of the middle modes (last one used) and an effective quadruple click to get to the other middle mode (double click to one, then double click to the other) the only difference, would be that you would need to pause between modes and brightnesses

I guess if it were to change, it would be okay, you could direct select, but quite simply, a 4x click is just too many to accuratly choose a mode imo

KBobAries

Enlightened
Another vote against incorporating a quadruple click. I find the current UI works well for my needs and believe a quad would be to cumbersome.

If a change is truly needed, would it possible to incorporate a "PHR, Click" or would that interfere with burst mode?

Dan

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If the first two changes were made I'd be fine with that, but 4 clicks instead of push-hold for burst mode is a change I wouldn't want to see.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Beating a dead horse but you asked for us to post our reason for voting - I voted to keep the UI as is, my thumbs already hurt enough from my phone, no quad clicks for me :)