Andúril 2 UI

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, Zebralights are pretty great. I got my first Zebralight, an SC63c, in 2015. But my favorites so are the SC5c Mk II and the SC53c. I really like the Zebralight interface. I wouldn't say it is superior to all known flashlight UI, but it is a nice compromise, easy to learn, and it is consistant across all Zebralights.

I have a couple Noctigon KR4, and I like them, but the reason I like them is because the driver is constant current and the emitters are high CRI and 3500K and 2000K respectively. There is nothing more to say about them that adds to their quality.

But frankly, my favorite interface is forward clicky on/off. It always just works, nothing to program, nothing to glitch. One brightness, if you need more or less, bring more lights, and each serves as a backup for the others. Can't beat that.

3_gun

Enlightened
Yes Anduril can be a pain to learn/use at times but once you have it set it can be as simple as on/off if you want/need it to be. What it gives you for the time it takes to set up is a light that is yours, matched to your needs & if those needs change you can reprogram for the new need. I have other lights that aren't Anduril but Anduril is a preferred UI in most cases for me.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with Andúril 2, and I praise ToyKeeper for her ingenuity. It is, however, complex and complicated, and it is not difficult to get into a situation where the behavior indicates the state of the UI is unknown, but often as not it's Muggle Mode. In these cases, I don't bother trying to figure it out, I just pull the head and hold down the button while reassembling, lose all settings and reconfigure to its previous state. This has me accepting most of its default settings out of frustration, however. But I don't see how it can be made better without reducing functionality. And I am not impressed with the suggestion to "just use the Simple UI!" What is really most annoying about Andúril2 is the zealots. Everything else is tolerable.

Connor

Enlightened
Read the Anduril manual, perhaps several times (I did): https://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/anduril-manual.txt

I have no problems finding my way through the UI since I did that. There is also this great diagram which goes along well with the manual:
Anduril2 UI Or check this alternate diagram: Anduril2 UI2

I know the UI may seem intimidating at first but it's actually pretty well thought out and logical, once you got used to it a bit.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just turn on and hold to go brighter or less brighter. I don't get into the complex functions.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems finding my way through the UI since I did that. There is also this great diagram which goes along well with the manual:

I'm not remotely intimidated by the UI, and I don't have any issues finding my way through the UI either, and I'm not sure where I suggested that I did. What I stated was it is easy to put the UI into a state that is unknown. It's in some state, just not obvious how to tell exactly which state it's in. No matter how many times the manual is read, that's not going to change or go away, as it is a symptom of the complexity and not PEBKAC.

Connor

Enlightened
If you think before you click it's not going into an unknown state. I have 4 Anduril lights, I use them every day, never happened to me.
The config menus all have higher numbers of click/click+hold patterns so you don't get in there easily.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you're the only one, because it is an all too common complaint among Andúril2 users.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really a problem with any programmable UI or one that requires timed clicks, from Anduril, to Zebra, Reylight, Foursevens and so on.

Amongst those, once I've actually set up Anduril, it's the one I'm least likely to accidentally get into an unwanted setting in normal day to day use.

Connor

Enlightened
bending over backwards to rationalize it away every time someone mentions it.
I usually do not like to go ad hominem, but here we go: The only one here bending over backwards all the time is you defending ZebraLight in a completely over-the-top way.
Have not seen a worse case of fanboy-ism for quite some time. Added to ignore.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a strong bias towards Andúril2 wrapped in a tu quque argument, this is rationalizing a problem which is absent from simpler UI. Accidentally entering Zebralight programming mode undoubtedly happens on rare occasion, but it doesn't happen so often that anyone has ever complained about it, nor has anyone failed to figure out how to escape the issue. Yet it happens often enough with Andúril2 that there are stacks of threads at BLF and a few at CPF with members helping other members resolve the issue. There is such a thing as valid criticism, and the tendency of the complexity of Andúril2 to often enough leave a user confused about the state of their flashlight and its confounding behavior in that state, is a valid criticism. Andúril2 is not all things to everyone, and people are just going to have to accept that without taking it personally or denying everything, or bending over backwards to rationalize it away every time someone mentions it.
Well here I am complaining about it.

There's a difference between playing around with a light and getting unintentional modes in everyday use. Entering the Zebra into the programming mode isn't the problem, it's more of the mistimed clicks sending me into flashing mode or battery check. Say I want H2 from off. Click, double click. Whoops, that's strobe. M2 from off. Double click, double click. Now it's in battery check. That is a valid criticism.

I've also found myself on parts of my walks needing a light output that isn't there in G5, so that means having to program G6 or G7 which is a chore in and of itself. Other than the problem of programming, there's still a problem of knowing which output that is without seeing by eye in those areas which one to go with. With a ramping UI (not just Anduril specifically) I can do that in real time in a moment's notice.

Yes, I've seen posts about people getting stuck in Anduril, but not too often when it's actual day to day use, it's more of people playing around with the UI's advanced features.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one here bending over backwards all the time is you defending ZebraLight in a completely over-the-top way.
False. My assessment is accurate, unbiased, and agnostic, and my argument is bulletproof.

it's more of the mistimed clicks sending me into flashing mode or battery check.
I, too, have come across this, yet never mentioned it. I believe this very complaint may be the first time it's been posted. The forums are certainly not littered with this complaint nor of anyone not being able to overcome it, however, needing support from other members about what to do about it. This is very unlike the way complaints and requests for support for Andúril2 have been spread across reddit, BLF, and occasionally here. And your continued, transparently biased attempts to equate them smacks of intellectual dishonesty.

Yes, I've seen posts about people getting stuck in Anduril, but not too often when it's actual day to day use, it's more of people playing around with the UI's advanced features.
Well, here's some examples of that,
These are just the first few search results. There's hundreds more. For Zebralight? Not so much.

To be quite clear, unlike others, I am not arguing "this interface is better than that one!" What I am doing is obliterating unsound argument. People can choose whatever interface they like. What we don't need to do is push others into making unnatural decisions based on opinions that really have no support. The fact of the matter is Andúril2 is complicated, and it was designed to be so for better or worse, even with the builtin Simple UI mode, complexity lurks a few accidental or intentional clicks away. This is not necessarily a fatal flaw, but it is a valid criticism whether you freaks can accept it or not. Zebralight has a simpler interface. That doesn't necessarily make it better, but no one is defending Zebralight as though their lives and reputations depended in it, and Zebralight has a lot of fans. You guys like Andúril2. That's great, but please stop with the unsupportable criticisms of other interfaces unless you can actually honestly make a valid criticism. Focus on the positive things about what you like about what you like, and knock off inventing crap about anything not-Andúril2. It's the tribalism that is anathema, not your flashlight UI.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a ZL SC-600 and both a D4V1 and D4V2...the latter having the 'muggle mode glitch' which I've personally fired off 3-4 times.

It's an issue, but an issue that I could have fixed, if I was smart enough. Still, I have no kids and just don't go there.

Anduril 2 is complicated and if one doesn't use it on a daily/weekly basis, one's memory fades. I keep the 2 page cheat sheet on my phone for consultation, since it might be months between uses.

It's a pretty nifty platform that does a lot of neat things, but if you're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, it's probably not the light/firmware for you, but then, the ZL UI is not far behind.

Different strokes and all of that.

Chris

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think before you click it's not going into an unknown state. I have 4 Anduril lights, I use them every day, never happened to me.
The thing is, I dont want to think before I click. Shouldn't be necessary with a tool as basic as a flashlight. I still love my on/off lights. The one Ive been carrying every day for over 2 years now is a 80L single mode.

If I feel fancy I whip out my dual mode lights.
EZ.png

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have & love my Zebra lights. As far as more complex (for my standards) UIs go, I find them the most intuitive so far. Only gripe is not being able to get rid of Strobe all together. Programming works about 50% of the time, but the upside is you only have to do it once.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm not a fan of Anduril I think it definitely has its place for certain individuals. I'm old school and Zebralight and HDS UI is the max I will get myself into. Let's not even talk about the McGizmo HIVE driver, trying to program that will make you give up flashlights all together

In reality, a simple 2 stage light is my all time favorite. Like the Surefire E series 2 stage lights. High/low. All you need for day to day use, Zebralight and HDS UI I am able to program a high/low

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm not a fan of Anduril I think it definitely has its place for certain individuals. I'm old school and Zebralight and HDS UI is the max I will get myself into. Let's not even talk about the McGizmo HIVE driver, trying to program that will make you give up flashlights all together

In reality, a simple 2 stage light is my all time favorite. Like the Surefire E series 2 stage lights. High/low. All you need for day to day use, Zebralight and HDS UI I am able to program a high/low

I myself time to time prefer a nice, simple 2 stage light, my favorite being the original 4Sevens Quark Tactical's UI. Simple to program and you can push that tail switch as many times you want and not worry about going into another mode or reprogramming it unintentionally.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself time to time prefer a nice, simple 2 stage light, my favorite being the original 4Sevens Quark Tactical's UI. Simple to program and you can push that tail switch as many times you want and not worry about going into another mode or reprogramming it unintentionally.
Been debating on trying one of those out

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been debating on trying one of those out

One of the new ones or the original ones?

If you can manage to get your hands on one of the originals with the head tighten/loosen UI, there's no debate, GET IT!

The latest version is a pretty good light in it's own right and can be set up as a 2 mode (plus burst) light, but only medium and high as the 2 modes, no low/medium or low/high option.