HDS Systems EDC #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid87

Enlightened
Cheers Cistallus. Has anybody actually got the new light yet? Thinking of moving on my orange High CRI and replacing it with the rotary which seems a bit more suited to me.

Steven

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers to cistallus !!!

Thank you for all your hard work restoring many of the posts in this thread, and elsewhere around the site!

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
Aw, bummer. It took me so long to become 'enlightened' now it looks like I am unenlightened again.

Oh, well at least CPF is up and running again. :)

ThumperACC

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Do the clips on the clicky cause much wear on pockets?
Billy

Not particularly.

EDIT: My comment is with regards to the black bezel down clip and not the silver bezel up MOLLE clip. I've no firsthand experience with the MOLLE clip so I can't comment.

Meanwhile: Can someone describe how the black bezels wear over time, and how they withstand contact with keys, etc.?

The AlTiN coating on the black bezels would have to be the toughest coating going around. It's used to coat high speed cuuting tools like drill bits and router bits. It wears very well. However, before the Great Crash, there was a member that reported that his black coating was being worn away by his jeans pockets. I put this down to a bad batch and not indicative of the normal wear characteristics of the AlTiN coated bezels.

Last edited:

asleep

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm ready for my rotary.

I hope it arrives before the iPad2.
duck.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers Cistallus. Has anybody actually got the new light yet? Thinking of moving on my orange High CRI and replacing it with the rotary which seems a bit more suited to me.

Steven

The new light hasn't started shipping yet. Henry is currently having problems with the calibration process and is in the midst of fixing it. No idea how long it will take.

billbunton

Newly Enlightened
Aw, bummer. It took me so long to become 'enlightened' now it looks like I am unenlightened again.

Oh, well at least CPF is up and running again. :)

ThumperACC

I know both feelings!

I'm sort of glad I decided to wait on ordering a new rotary or clicky. First of all, because I'm still not sure which I want (I'm not sure I can deal with the lack of a clip for the rotary), and I'd really hate to have to suffer through all the delays. Not meant as a dig at Henry either, I'd _much_ rather see the lights go out correct, no matter how long it takes. It's just easier to stand the wait if I haven't actually ordered :)

DM51

Flashaholic

Oh, well at least CPF is up and running again
You'll be enlightened again before you know it - it is automatic at 20 posts. At 100 posts you'll be a flashoholic. So... get posting! :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the correspondence I had with Henry about my Rotary this past Saturday. Man, the wait is killing me. I am sure it will be well worth it though.

Hi Henry,

Three weeks have passed now and I am getting pretty anxious to get my hands on that beauty you are building for me. Could you please give me an update about where you are at with it? Thanks!

Best regards,

Rob Bond

Rob,

We are trying to resolve what we hope is the last issue with the calibration system. Once that is done, we can begin shipping.

Thanks,

Henry.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry is currently having problems with the calibration process and is in the midst of fixing it.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty major problem. I'm surprised those kinds of things weren't ironed out before the lights went on sale.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'd post another popcorn guy - but it is one of those it will ship when it ships moments. No question I'd rather him fix stuff before it goes out the door than ship "on time" but with known issues like many others do...

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what Henry is referring to? calibration of the rotary control sounds plausible.

jgreen71

Newly Enlightened
I just got an email from Henry saying my rotary will ship in 3 weeks.
I only ordered it late last week so I'm guessing All the early orders should be on the way pretty soon.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Not particularly.

EDIT: My comment is with regards to the black bezel down clip and not the silver bezel up MOLLE clip. I've no firsthand experience with the MOLLE clip so I can't comment.

The AlTiN coating on the black bezels would have to be the toughest coating going around. It's used to coat high speed cuuting tools like drill bits and router bits. It wears very well. However, before the Great Crash, there was a member that reported that his black coating was being worn away by his jeans pockets. I put this down to a bad batch and not indicative of the normal wear characteristics of the AlTiN coated bezels.
Hi Belstaff, the member with the coating problem was me. Henry replaced the bezel for me, unfortunately, I noticed the serial numbers on the replacement bezel was only 20 or so away from the original problem bezel. And you guessed it. The replacement bezel started showing the coating wearing off 3 days after I got it. I decided to give up bothering Henry with it anymore. The light works flawlessly and someday I might just try and buff the entire bezel and have it as "uncoated" titanium. Most of the members who have the coated bezels like them but I'm thoroughly convinced mine did come from a bad batch. Unfortunately, I don't think Henry believed that the wear on my bezel was just from my jeans pocket, so that's why I gave up on the coated bezel. I still want a rotary when they become readily available. Good luck to all you that are waiting on yours, and I know you all will let us know how you like them! Can't wait for some first hand experiences!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what Henry is referring to? calibration of the rotary control sounds plausible.
Or getting each light to the exact 200 lumen max, or one of the other step levels. Who knows, but at least they are being perfected.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Or getting each light to the exact 200 lumen max, or one of the other step levels. Who knows, but at least they are being perfected.

Good points TyJo, they are definitely worth waiting for Henry to perfect them

mrlysle

Enlightened
Mrlysle, I wonder if maybe altin doesn't stick to titanium well. Mine is stainless and impossible to damage...hmm

I really don't know sir. We kicked it around a bit before the big "crash" and I think someone even suggested that. I even posted some pics of the bezel wear and it was agreed that the coating definitely shouldn't have been wearing off like it was. I only had the light for about a month and carried it bezel down in my jeans front pocket. Anyway, Henry was good enough to replace it for me but the new one looks exactly like the old one now, so I've given up on it. Henry has enough going on without me buggin' him about my bezel coating wearing off. In my original thread I was giving my thoughts about my "first" clicky, and what I would and wouldn't do over again. I stated that I probably wouldn't spend the money on the coated Ti bezel again, because I wasn't that impressed with the "toughness" of the coating and that's when some of the guys suggested I ask Henry to replace it, which he did, but I think both of my bezels came from a bad batch. The serial numbers on the two were only 20 or so numbers apart. I loved the color it gave the bezel, but just putting it in, and taking it out of my right front pocket is wearing it off. I'm totally stumped. Poor Henry said it looked like it had been purposely abraded with a wire brush or something but I would never do that to one of my lights. But for some strange reason, the TiAlN coating just doesn't like going in and out of my jeans pocket. Thanks for your suggestion though. I think now I AM going to try and polish the rest of it off and it should look like a stainless bezel! Might look pretty good, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.