HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was one of the early adopters for the HDS lights, and still have my Ultimate 60 GT(guaranteed tint). I always liked this light, and have been an HDS supporter all this time.

However, I have to admit that since all this back-ordering and interminable delays began a year or so ago, I have completely lost interest in getting another HDS light.
I have been buying Malkoffs, and they are scratching my itch for performance and quality, and I have found that it's really not a big deal for me to have a smaller size light. I can carry my Elzetta or Malkoff lights quite easily.

I'm really disappointed in the delivery/delay issues with HDS. AT this point, I don't even look anywhere to see if any are available. I have just gone elsewhere for my needs.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
A certain HDS retailer has ceramic coated 200 exec's in stock (Pink, Orange and Tan) I just grabbed an Orange one. Better be quick...

Can't figure out which certain retailer you are referring too. Checked them all (in US anyway). Any hint?

EDIT: Nevermind... figured it out. I need a Station for my Batteries.

eala

morelightnow

Enlightened
Can't figure out which certain retailer you are referring too. Checked them all (in US anyway). Any hint?

EDIT: Nevermind... figured it out. I need a Station for my Batteries.

eala

lol

My wife wants me to find her a pink light, but she say's she would rather have jewelry for that price. I said, "only the best for you!"

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were discussing run-times a while back with lots of theoretical suppositions, so I thought I'd report something a little more practical: I received my high CRI Rotary on August 27 with what I assume was a new battery already installed, and using the light multiple times a day at a variety of brightness settings (playing around mostly), the battery finally ran out of juice today, so that's three solid weeks of what I would suppose is typical day-to-day use.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i buy a clicky HDS with the intent of modding to XM-L, does it matter what output level I buy? like will it pump more current to an XM-L with an (originally) 200 lumen model versus a 120?

morelightnow

Enlightened
if i buy a clicky HDS with the intent of modding to XM-L, does it matter what output level I buy? like will it pump more current to an XM-L with an (originally) 200 lumen model versus a 120?

Been wondering the same thing myself. As far as I know, the current is the same in all models, the difference is the led. Some are more efficient than others, so that's what the output is based on. I have only seen one current test on here, which resulted in a ~500 ma output, but I don't remember what model that was.

bansuri

Enlightened
I measured 1600mA on Burst and a little over 700mA after it stepped down. (EDC 120)
That Burst rating seems awful high, but most HDS lights I've tested are in the 700mA range on non-burst 100%.
XM-L puts out a lot of light at that current but your hotspot will be bigger and there will be more light in the spill.
Haven't got around to checking the current at the emitter on my Rotary (200 lumens) yet, but will post when I do.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Rotary every night, through out the night and it'll go a night and a half before going into the step down. What I've been doing since is I install a freshly charged AW in it, and place the other in the charger before starting my night.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we're discussing runtimes, has anyone done any tests on their 200 Clicky/Rotary other then the sub lumen test done a while back?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away for awhile (watches, guns...you know how it is.) I've been hoping to pick up a High CRI Clicky, but a quick peek in this thread seems to show that Henry is still backed-up. I hope he was able to sort out his supplier QA/QC issues, and that he is now just running behind filling orders. (Didn't read the whole thread since I left, so pardon my not being up to date, and no need for anyone to repeat what's already been posted - I'll catch up when I have time.)

I will say that I realize now I erred when I sold my Legacy HI-CRI and 140T, thinking it wouldn't be long before I could "upgrade." NOT having any Ra/HDS lights has made me realize how much I really liked them. Ah, well, we live and we learn. :(

Luciaro

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have little problems with rotary switch?
I mean to new machined models, or the lights we expected for months.
Thank you

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you
Mine is the high CRI rotary which I received a few weeks back. No problems so far. Perfect!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I have two HDS Rotaries, one around a year old and one about a month old, and neither has given me any troubles.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it just me or would it appear the delays are probably getting less and less (shorter and shorter) because I see the carakoted bodies are back, which I assume means things are getting better, ya know?

and does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether you have to buy the 200 lumen model if you want maximum current if you mod it to XM-L? if not, could I save some cash and have the same exact results on a 120 lumen model with an emitter swap to XM-L?

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted an HDS Rotary but the stories of half-year+ delays have pretty well scared me off. I know people who have gotten new jobs, new houses, and new wives in that kind of time period.

Be just my luck if I ordered a Rotary now by the time it arrived I would have joined a monastery and forsaken all my worldly possessions.

morelightnow

Enlightened
I've always wanted an HDS Rotary but the stories of half-year+ delays have pretty well scared me off. I know people who have gotten new jobs, new houses, and new wives in that kind of time period.

Be just my luck if I ordered a Rotary now by the time it arrived I would have joined a monastery and forsaken all my worldly possessions.

Just order it. If you do join a monastery, you can just send me all your lights.

Henry should browse this thread occasionally to see all the potential orders he has waiting on production to get caught up. It would be a good boost of motivation if he ever needs it.

baexmeyer

Newly Enlightened
Just order it. If you do join a monastery, you can just send me all your lights.

Henry should browse this thread occasionally to see all the potential orders he has waiting on production to get caught up. It would be a good boost of motivation if he ever needs it.

I am another. I would buy one in a heartbeat if the wait was ~1 month, but 6 or more would kill me.

SCD

Newly Enlightened
I've been keeping an eye on Henry's creations for some time now and own more than a few. I don't pretend to understand the particulars of the problems he has been having with his suppliers.....but having some understanding of his personality and his pursuit for perfection....why not buy a smallish CNC/lathe/etc...and make sure the metal suppliers semi is backing up at the same time. I'm sure nothing would make him happier than to see and oversee every aspect of the manufacturing and be able to hand over a product that would meet or exceed the stringent specifications being demanded by one of the most demanding/influential....the designer...and made in-house.

Easier said than done....I know....I hope the backorders get filled in a timely manner:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts