HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must not be charging my batteries enough, or my Rotary isn't get used a lot. Does anybody charge their batteries every 2-3 days?
I use a rechargeable battery in my Rotary, and carry a spare one. I haven't had any concerns.

Yes I do (especially the AW IMR 18350's), but I am fortunate that I live on our contract site and work out of our Motorhome. Which allows me to monitor/watch the batteries. I keep the charger/batteries on the stove's corning counter top/cover. I'll go about 4 days on a AW16340 in the HDS, before I place it in the charger.

CIMG2180.jpg

Yes thoughs are cracks at the hinges! Our 40 foot American Coach Eagle's 15 years old, with a smiggin over 115K miles on her Cummins engine but she's a Cream Puff and our home! Btw, see the smaller rectangular window above the Jeep? That's were I'm sitting while typing this post (cept in a different location)! … LOL

CIMG0973.jpg

Last edited:

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
pjandyho; Blades; Henk Lu; mrlysle; (and again, hotlight, and AnAppleSnail),

Thank you all, for taking the time to offer me such detailed information. Your advice is helpful, supportive and encouraging.

Blades,

My work does require I use many hours of flashlight battery power in a night, and would involve the need to re-charge a lithium-ion battery daily, or, if I had several of such batteries, then I would be re-charging them every 2-3 days, instead of one per day.

Henk Lu

The reason I mentioned HDS Systems AA battery tube, was because it remains on the HDS website as an option, though out of stock. And in the past when I have called HDS Systems, they have said the AA tube was promised and so remains planned (even though the long delays have continued).

The "details" section of the AA battery tube under "accessories" on the HDS Systems website also reads that it is "Compatible with common 1.5V AA battery chemistries - alkaline and Li-FeS2 primary batteries, NiCad and NiMH rechargeable batteries."

And, yes, to all, I have been attentive to the prudent and wise advice from the battery section here on CPF along with the great information offered on the Battery University website.

Thank you all again,

FaithinGod

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I just received an almost new 170E GDP HDS with Acme threads which I got off CPM!!! They are not so common anymore because not long after the Acme threads came, Henry started using XPGs for the 170 as well. Very nice throwy beam. It will (with my High CRI SSC P4 Clicky) soften the wait for my new High CRI which I ordered 6 weeks ago...............

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do (especially the AW IMR 18350's), but I am fortunate that I live on our contract site and work out of our Motorhome. Which allows me to monitor/watch the batteries. I keep the charger/batteries on the stove's corning counter top/cover. I'll go about 4 days on a AW16340 in the HDS, before I place it in the charger.

Yes thoughs are cracks at the hinges! Our 40 foot American Coach Eagle's 15 years old, with a smiggin over 115K miles on her...

Well that makes sense then, if you use it daily. I use mine every now and then, and probably only charge my battery every four weeks. My spare battery is in a 4Sevens MiNi123, and I carry a Peak Logan QTC.

115,000 miles? That engine is still new, you need to do some more driving. :)

pjandyho; Blades; Henk Lu; mrlysle; (and again, hotlight, and AnAppleSnail),

Thank you all, for taking the time to offer me such detailed information. Your advice is helpful, supportive and encouraging.

Blades,

My work does require I use many hours of flashlight battery power in a night, and would involve the need to re-charge a lithium-ion battery daily, or, if I had several of such batteries, then I would be re-charging them every 2-3 days, instead of one per day.

Thank you all again,

FaithinGod

Will you need the full 200 lumens every night? Or will 60 lumens take care of your needs? Just wondering.
I like to think the HDS light is for everyone, but it may not be the light for you, or you may want to buy two. :)
You know your needs. Good luck on your search.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Blades,

I estimated my frequency for re-charge on the basis of the "lightreviews" website run-time chart that showed the HDS light running for about 10 hours at about 15 lumens on a rechargeable lithium battery (which was true for both the Clicky and the Rotary versions of the HDS light). That is about what I will need daily-at most-along with bursts of brighter light on occasion, though full output may not be needed for those brief bursts.

Thank you for your kind words.

FaithinGod

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blades,

I estimated my frequency for re-charge on the basis of the "lightreviews" website run-time chart that showed the HDS light running for about 10 hours at about 15 lumens on a rechargeable lithium battery (which was true for both the Clicky and the Rotary versions of the HDS light). That is about what I will need daily-at most-along with bursts of brighter light on occasion, though full output may not be needed for those brief bursts.

FaithinGod

Henry's new lights use a different circuit than the light reviewed on lightreviews, so I don't know if the reported runtime is accurate for the current lights or not.

--flatline

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Will you need the full 200 lumens every night? Or will 60 lumens take care of your needs?
That was exactly what I'd been wondering too.
This sounds pretty well thought out, but you may be surprised at how bright 2 lumens looks as well, depending on what you're doing and how much atmospheric light you have around you.

I typically use my two medium modes on my Clicky the most and go at least a month between charges usually.

Looking forward to hearing how often you actually need to re-charge once you do get one and how having a Rotary affects your flashlight usage habits.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blades,

FaithinGod

Not to derail your interest in the HDS lights, but since you mentioned AA batteries, have you seen the Zebralight SC80? http://www.zebralight.com/SC80w-AACR123A-Flashlight_p_84.html

It has an adapter sleeve that allows you to use an AA or 123a battery.
thumbnail.asp

It might give you another option, plus it is good to have more then one light. :)

Last edited:

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
flatline,

Thank you for that point about HDS lights circuit, and run-time.

I read on the light-reviews website, about two HDS lights. One was the former Ra Clicky with it's review dated May of 2009. The other was the (apparently) current HDS Rotary, with that review dated (on light-reviews website) as August of 2011. In both reviews the output and run-time were nearly identical for that beam level which I need most (close to 15 lumens).

But, if there is a different circuit in HDS lights now, then I'll call HDS and inquire about any possible run-time difference between the old and new.

Kaichu dento,

Your point about the brightness of 2 lumens, and your use of the HDS medium modes lasting for a month, keeps me hopeful.

With age, my eyes have come to need of more light, and I have been using a light currently that is estimated at about 3 lumens. But I anticipate that the HDS light may provide better use (beam pattern, reflector, etc) of lower levels of light than my current light.

I too hope my need to re-charge batteries will be less than estimated.

My consideration is actually for the HDS Clicky, rather than the Rotary. I have used twist method lights so many times each night, and for so many years, that the single button method appears more appealing than staying with the twist function. I do know that the HDS Rotary can be used as a Clicky, but I am taking into consideration the possible durability of the Clicky version being better than the Rotary, and (from what I have read here) that the run-times on the lower levels of the Clicky versions would be better than those of the Rotary, because of the extra power needed from the battery to keep the Rotary function constant.

Blades,

Thank you for offering the Zebralight option. Those are the most attractive battery sleeves I have seen (I have not seen many though).

I had considered Zebralights various models (though I hadn't looked at the SC80 to find the battery options you mention).
The warranty though, on Zebralights is not what I prefer. But the companies lights have remained impressive from what I have seen thus far.

I wholeheartedly agree, that it is always good to have more than one light.

FaithinGod

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My consideration is actually for the HDS Clicky, rather than the Rotary. I have used twist method lights so many times each night, and for so many years, that the single button method appears more appealing than staying with the twist function. I do know that the HDS Rotary can be used as a Clicky, but I am taking into consideration the possible durability of the Clicky version being better than the Rotary, and (from what I have read here) that the run-times on the lower levels of the Clicky versions would be better than those of the Rotary, because of the extra power needed from the battery to keep the Rotary function constant.
Since I always get weeks, if not months, between battery changes, I've never watched runtimes and battery efficiency much but I really have found myself fairly well addicted to the Clicky, with it's click-gets-you-anywhere-you-need-to-be interface.
Being able to store four output levels of my own choice, and in the order I prefer, along with memory, momentary activation and auto shut-off really usually makes it my go-to light, particularly when I know that I'll also be needing a decent low level.
I had initially thought that I'd be one of the first to have a Rotary, but even after borrowing one for a bit, I find myself not even caring if I ever get one. Have to have a Clicky though.
I had considered Zebralights various models (though I hadn't looked at the SC80 to find the battery options you mention).
The warranty though, on Zebralights is not what I prefer. But the companies lights have remained impressive from what I have seen thus far.
If you've not had a Zebralight yet, you might want to try and get ahold of an SC51 (cool) or SC51w (neutral). Incredible light with six brightness levels, all selected using the clicky UI.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
flatline,

Thank you for that point about HDS lights circuit, and run-time.

I read on the light-reviews website, about two HDS lights. One was the former Ra Clicky with it's review dated May of 2009. The other was the (apparently) current HDS Rotary, with that review dated (on light-reviews website) as August of 2011. In both reviews the output and run-time were nearly identical for that beam level which I need most (close to 15 lumens).

But, if there is a different circuit in HDS lights now, then I'll call HDS and inquire about any possible run-time difference between the old and new.

Sorry, I didn't see the Rotary review, only the Ra Clicky review. The Rotary they tested should be using the current circuit.

My mistake.

--flatline

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
flatline,

Thank you for that clarification. No harm done, as it is only part of the natural sorting out of information for us all to benefit from.

FaithinGod

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Not to promote an off topic-ness but has anyone actually seen Panasonic CR123s that look like that? I can't find them anywhere.

Not to derail your interest in the HDS lights, but since you mentioned AA batteries, have you seen the Zebralight SC80? http://www.zebralight.com/SC80w-AACR123A-Flashlight_p_84.html

It has an adapter sleeve that allows you to use an AA or 123a battery.
thumbnail.asp

It might give you another option, plus it is good to have more then one light. :)

Eric Isaacson

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I've been reading through these threads for a while but I don't think I've ever read how to determine if the HDS 170T you have has the GDP or previous emitter. Can anyone help me out?
My 170 has a very small emitter, unlike the Rotary or High CRI that I have.

Thanks

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I've been reading through these threads for a while but I don't think I've ever read how to determine if the HDS 170T you have has the GDP or previous emitter. Can anyone help me out?
My 170 has a very small emitter, unlike the Rotary or High CRI that I have.

Thanks

The GDP in my 170T looks like a tinny (extremely small) drop of honey sitting on a circular gold base plate that's on a white ceramic base. Don't know how to take macro shots with my camera, or I'd take a photo of it.

Where the (yellow) XP-G in the Rotary is sitting on it's green circuit board (?)!

Last edited:

Eric Isaacson

Newly Enlightened
AZPops and brandocommando,
Thank you very much, that is exactly what mine look like so I guess they are GDP.

I really appreciate the help

Eric

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
kaichu dento,

Those are encouraging words about the HDS Clicky, thank you.

I have seriously considered a Zebralight. particularly the model you refer to you. However, I would feel more confident if their warranty was a lifetime equal to that of HDS. Also, I found no phone number on their website, which also leaves me hesitant. I like to have customer representatives to talk to when problems arise, I have found it more efficient for sorting out issues than it is by e-mail.

FaithinGod

Status
Not open for further replies.