HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
kaichu dento,

Those are encouraging words about the HDS Clicky, thank you.

I have seriously considered a Zebralight. particularly the model you refer to you. However, I would feel more confident if their warranty was a lifetime equal to that of HDS. Also, I found no phone number on their website, which also leaves me hesitant. I like to have customer representatives to talk to when problems arise, I have found it more efficient for sorting out issues than it is by e-mail.
I prefer a telephone number as well, but while they are not the equal to a Clicky, they're another tool for the box that is quite nice considering the price point and multiple levels.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys/gals, if I was to do a emitter mod/swap on my 170T's GDP. Is it possible to turn it into a 200T (or even brighter if that's possible)? ... or is it going to be a 170T with an XP-G in it?

Thanks!

PS before you ask, why not sell your 170T since it has a GDP in it and buy (or order) a 200T? Well I did consider going that route, but this GDP has a light green around the hot spot (which IMO will bring the selling price down), as well as I have more into the light then most since I had to pay shipping and the additional AZ sales tax. So it'll be less expensive (or I'll take less of a hit) to do the mod, Should I decide to do it.

Edit: I sent Henry an email to ask if he's able to turn my 170T into a 200T. So I'll see what he says. However I'm still interested in you opinions as well!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Henry will not mod your light for you, sorry.

Your light will be brighter with a simple emitter swap if you put a more efficient chip in there that puts out more light at the max drive level of the flashlight than the GDP does, like an XM-L for example. That's my understanding at least.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry will not mod your light for you, sorry.

Your light will be brighter with a simple emitter swap if you put a more efficient chip in there that puts out more light at the max drive level of the flashlight than the GDP does, like an XM-L for example. That's my understanding at least.

Yup you're right, Henry got back to me, and it's a no go! So, I have to reevaluate what I want to do with the 170T. However I was thinking more in lines of a XP-G like the Rotary since it has a nice throw as well as a useable hot spot or beam profile.

Even if it had less out put then the 200T, I could live with it!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
The XP-G makes a wonderful emitter in the Clicky, second only to the SSC P4 in my opinion. I don't think you would be disappointed with that choice at all. Plenty of throw with a very functional hotspot; I have been very pleased. There is a member offering HDS mods in the Custom Modders and Builders section, jakeroyston, if I remember correctly, if you are looking for someone to do the work.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Anyone have any updates on the machine shop issues? anyone spoke with henry?

I am looking at buying several more of these.:devil:

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Yup you're right, Henry got back to me, and it's a no go! So, I have to reevaluate what I want to do with the 170T. However I was thinking more in lines of a XP-G like the Rotary since it has a nice throw as well as a useable hot spot or beam profile.

Even if it had less out put then the 200T, I could live with it!

You can have this cpf member do it for you

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3879988

I have a rotary from him and he did a great job (jake royston)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
With an HDS I'd think you could wring it out for any malfunctions for a year or two and if all is good then it will probably be a good deal to trade an emitter upgrade for the promise of a lifetime warranty... wouldn't you imagine that any failures of manufacture would pop up within a year or so of regular use?
I'd be happy to choose either and not fret about the other... when my Twisty high CRI finally comes in, I am going to Put It Throughi It's Paces, and in a couple of years if it survives everything I won't think twice about voiding the warranty and putting an upgraded emitter into the thing, I'll probably have a couple more by then anyhow.

edit after nbp's reply.
-Yeah, Rotary, I know that, (face palm) I just forget cause I'm still waiting on one since November, lol, all usage of the fine machine is imaginary.... it's not a hypothetical Twisty, No! It's a soon to be Rotary, yes.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
*Rotary* HI CRI

Twisties are no longer in production. ;)

Though a HI CRI XP-G Twisty would be quite a fantastic beast had it ever been offered.

jake royston

Enlightened
*Rotary* HI CRI

Twisties are no longer in production. ;)

Though a HI CRI XP-G Twisty would be quite a fantastic beast had it ever been offered.

This can be done, but you need to find an 8mm board for XPG, and order the bare Hi CRI xpg emitter from illumination supply.
I can do this for anyone who is interested, just shoot me a pm.

And thanks to Jrubin and nbp for recomending me!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm afraid to have either of my Twisties cut up; if anything happens they're hard to replace! :eek:

I do have a 140 with a GDP that might be cool to have done with an XM-L for more lumens and more importantly more flood, such as the old P4 wide beam lights were. Do you have something like that done that you could post beamshots of in your thread?

jake royston

Enlightened
I'm afraid to have either of my Twisties cut up; if anything happens they're hard to replace! :eek:

I do have a 140 with a GDP that might be cool to have done with an XM-L for more lumens and more importantly more flood, such as the old P4 wide beam lights were. Do you have something like that done that you could post beamshots of in your thread?

i have some beamshots of the XML rotary and a sunwayman v10r Ti posted in this thread.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hite-XM-L-T6!!-*updated-beamshots*&highlight=

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
This can be done, but you need to find an 8mm board for XPG, and order the bare Hi CRI xpg emitter from illumination supply.
I can do this for anyone who is interested, just shoot me a pm.

And thanks to Jrubin and nbp for recomending me!

PM sent ....

Up Date: 170T is on it's way to Ray to do surgery on a XP-G R5 emitter swap!

Up Date: After Henry (in his expressed words), rather teach me how to fish, in lieu of selling me a fish. By taking the time to walk Mr. Stupid'io through the programing thing. My Rotary is on it's way to Henry so he can check it's brain out. So while he has it, I'm in hopes that Henry can hard wire the changes I made as it's default, ....Why? .... So I don't have to embarrass myself any further with this programing stuff.

Thinking about it, it's too bad he couldn't make it to where we can plug the light into a computer. At which time use his designed software to program the light. Similar to the light (can't remember the name off hand) that you can program all it's modes via the computer.

That would be Bad A$$! And easy-peasy for folks like myself!

So as of this morning Mr. Stupid'io is presently without a HDS! .... :mecry: .... You don't know how much you miss something till you don't have it!

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds incredibly complicated and expensive. Henry's lights are pricey enough without adding USB ports and custom software to the mix.

davyro

Enlightened
Don't worry Pop's everything will come back in great shape & you'll be glad you've sent them away for a holiday.:thumbsup:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry Pop's everything will come back in great shape & you'll be glad you've sent them away for a holiday.:thumbsup:

Thanks davyro! One good thing about all of this is, I now really appreciate my HDS's. Heck, I carry and depend on the Rotary every night (and the only reason I didn't carry the 170T after the Rotary arrived is the tint. However it's a shame cause the default modes/setting in the 170T worked best for my use).

Maybe a 200T could find it's way on my desk sometime in my future! All I know it's a good thing the dang think ain't in-stock, or ......

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
DarkSucks is now selling those clips mentioned earlier in this thread, ordered mine last night :)

Keep hoping for a rotary clip to be released soon. My rotary spends more time in my coat than in my hand ;)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
DarkSucks is now selling those clips mentioned earlier in this thread, ordered mine last night :)

Keep hoping for a rotary clip to be released soon. My rotary spends more time in my coat than in my hand ;)

Yup, Jason sent me my "Flame Broiled HDS Clip" last week! Now I got three clips, and one Clicky! ....
Foreheadslap.gif

... And you know what's even more stupid'io then that? ... I carry the light in a Kydex holster! .... You know what else? .... I think I should change my username to "Stupid'io" ..... :crackup:

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, Jason sent me my "Flame Broiled HDS Clip" last week! Now I got three clips, and one Clicky! ....
Foreheadslap.gif

... And you know what's even more stupid'io then that? ... I carry the light in a Kydex holster! .... :crackup:

Sounds like you need more lights :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.