HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Great pics and beamshots sprinkle!

I may be in the minority here, but call me crazy...I still prefer the CW Rotary.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone interested, goinggear.com has one 170T left in stock....I just snagged the other! :)

jalal20

Enlightened
For anyone interested, goinggear.com has one 170T left in stock....I just snagged the other! :)

Hehe they were 3 actually, I picked up the first one. This was the best deal in 2 month to get an hds without waiting :)

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have been sold out for quite some time, so I'm hoping these were a new batch.

Now if only Henry came out with the 17670 tube with the new ACME threads, I'd be in heaven !

jalal20

Enlightened
They have been sold out for quite some time, so I'm hoping these were a new batch.

Now if only Henry came out with the 17670 tube with the new ACME threads, I'd be in heaven !

They probably are since 10 min before that they didnt have any

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics and beamshots sprinkle!

I may be in the minority here, but call me crazy...I still prefer the CW Rotary.

I guess that makes you and me both that prefer the Cool Whites, since it works best for my work! However I'm just not into the neutral or warm tints!

Last edited:

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the 2 HDS lights I can't see there being a huge increase in brightness. The 200 lumen CW is brighter but not by a lot in real use. I am not sure if it is because of the actual lumens or if the better tint makes me think there is not much of a difference. I was a bit worried about losing 80 lumens when I ordered it but in real use I would never be able to tell the difference unless they were turned on beside each other and even then it is hard to tell.

One thing I am a bit worried about the new HCRI light is the tail is no where near as solid as the CW one I have had for nearly a year now. I can actually grab it and wobble it while the CW one will not move. I can actually hear the grease being compressed when I press in the button on the new HCRI. I actually have another one of the HCRI on order direct from Henry and when it comes in I will compare them. I don't know if this is a bad one, the new standard, or I got a really solid one on my first light.

I hope this is has been some help for someone on here.

Sprinkle

Thanks for the beam shots! I was very interested to hear the perceived difference in brightness between the 200 and high CRI. Your review makes me want one even more! If I see one at a dealer I don't think I will be able to resist. As for the movement in the tail I can also move the tail of my rotary tail and hear the grease squish. I assumed it was normal. Itdoesnt bother me. Hopefully I will have something to compare it to soon!

bornagainst

Newly Enlightened
I didnt have any other warm tint lights to compare it to. The warmest lights I have are 4000k Malkoff neutrals, and it was definitley warmer than those. I did end up selling he light to a member on here that was local to me, he mentioned it was the same tint as his Malkoff warm tinted lights and those are said to be in the 3700k tint.
Compared to your Neutral Malkoff, would say the HDS had a peachy pinkish tint? I tried a Malkoff M61W and didn't care for it too much, but I'm digging the M60N.
I am now the owner of this beauty! It is very close in temperature to my 3700k M61W's but the tint is on the green side whereas the M61W has an almost pink tint. Outside they both look great - but I do slightly prefer the HDS. I can also confirm that it is most definitely an XP-G. I will be picking up more of these once they become readily available:devil:.

thaugen

Enlightened
Sprinkle, Thanks for posting those beautiful beam shots! Now I am even more excited about the arrival of my Rotary HCRI sometime soon...

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
Everyone, you're welcome for the beamshots. Hope they were of some help for people. This was my first attempt of trying to get beamshots and I was kinda rushed.

Thanks for the beam shots! I was very interested to hear the perceived difference in brightness between the 200 and high CRI. Your review makes me want one even more! If I see one at a dealer I don't think I will be able to resist. As for the movement in the tail I can also move the tail of my rotary tail and hear the grease squish. I assumed it was normal. Itdoesnt bother me. Hopefully I will have something to compare it to soon!

Yeah there is very little visual difference in brightness (at least to my eyes and a couple other people I showed it to). I actually have been making it an effort to use my 200 version on a lower output so I wouldn't be disappointed... but wasn't needed. The highest settings are close enough to never worry about and the tint by far makes up for it.

I guess it's good to know that there are other lights with the tail being wobbly. I don't think it is a big deal, but coming from the other one that is rock solid it does bug me a little. I only own the 2 HDS lights so I gotta wait for my 3rd before I have something else to compare.

Sprinkle, thank you for the beamshots. (When did you place an order for your HCRI Rotary?)

I actually placed my order on my first one in December with Henry and it still hasn't shipped. I was lucky enough to grab one from a dealer on this one. I had signed up for email notification and as soon as the email came in through my phone I ordered it. And being fairly close to the dealer the shipping was quick. Surprised there isn't any more people getting their lights.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be hard to tell from these shots but the dark ring in the beam that is noticeable in the CW HDS Rotary is not present in the HCRI. I did not take shots to specifically show this though. I did however take some shots to show that the dark center when the light is close to some is now gone.

Both of these were taken with the light 3" from the foam core (you can see my tape measure):

HDS CW Rotary:
IMG_3065.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
IMG_3066.jpg

. . .

HDS CW Rotary:
IMG_3069.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
IMG_3071.jpg
The high CRI beam does look smoother than the cool white beam, yet the emitters themselves appear to be very much the same. I wonder what the exact reason for that is? Is it because the additional phosphor in the high CRI emitter diffuses the beam more?

Ah, can't until my high CRI Rotary shows up!

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I just recieved my hi-cri clicky this morning. It seems that the reflector opening is larger than my 200 rotary. It also seems the LED is sitting about 1mm further down in the reflector, in comparison to the rotary.

The beam is definitely smoother, with artifacts to a minimum.

The high CRI beam does look smoother than the cool white beam, yet the emitters themselves appear to be very much the same. I wonder what the exact reason for that is? Is it because the additional phosphor in the high CRI emitter diffuses the beam more?

Ah, can't until my high CRI Rotary shows up!

brandocommando

Enlightened
I just recieved my hi-cri clicky this morning. It seems that the reflector opening is larger than my 200 rotary. It also seems the LED is sitting about 1mm further down in the reflector, in comparison to the rotary.

The beam is definitely smoother, with artifacts to a minimum.

So awesome to hear that peoples HCRI's are starting to arrive!!!

Deicide, can I ask you what was the date that you placed your order?

I ordered mine on January 5th...

Status
Not open for further replies.