HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the spot of the high cri is much more narrow than the cool xp-g one, or is it just the photo? I guess that´s the reason why you said the high cri throws as far as the cool xp-g... :thinking:

I´d love the high cri for hiking but a narrow spot just isnt the right thing for it.
The early Rotaries had fairly diffuse beams but could be quite ringy and couldn't be used less than six inches from a surface as they had a "hole" in the middle. Henry redesigned the reflectors by widening the hole which eliminated the rings and allowed for close-up use but also made the hotspot slightly smaller (this is the case for all current HDS lights and not just high CRI). In practice, the spill is plenty bright to light up the ground at your feet while you're walking.

And speaking of high CRI, I love mine. The tint is gorgeous and the color rendering is outstanding.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your Beamshots, Maxbelg! :thumbsup:

It seems like the spot of the high cri is much more narrow than the cool xp-g one, or is it just the photo? I guess that´s the reason why you said the high cri throws as far as the cool xp-g... :thinking:

I´d love the high cri for hiking but a narrow spot just isnt the right thing for it.

Maxbelg, i know its my first post here, but i would love to see a beamshot with the high cri and the cool xp-g from a further distance (maybe 3+ meters), because at such close distance the light is just too bright to recognize the difference... and "Hi!" to everyone here at CPF! :wave:

NikoAus

Hi and welcome!

The spot of the high cri XPG is slightly smaller but it is especially the spill next to the hotspot which is brighter with the 200. I like throwy lights, so am happy with the throw which at least equals the 200. The smoothest beam is from my modded Nichia 219s but they have the least throw although the differences are not huge.

I'm not equipped for proper beamshots. All my pics are iPhone pics. At longer distance you need a proper camera and skills to take subsequent pics with the same settings. Maybe someone else can help?

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
The early Rotaries had fairly diffuse beams but could be quite ringy and couldn't be used less than six inches from a surface as they had a "hole" in the middle. Henry redesigned the reflectors by widening the hole which eliminated the rings and allowed for close-up use but also made the hotspot slightly smaller (this is the case for all current HDS lights and not just high CRI). In practice, the spill is plenty bright to light up the ground at your feet while you're walking.

I have an early model. Does this mean that I'll get a less ringy beam if I order a new reflector from Henry?:thinking:

Cheers,

Karl

Pöbel

Enlightened
it annoys me too. When it's sitting next to me on the table and I watch TV ist distracts me ever so slightly.

therefor Tritium > locator flash

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Henry doesn't have the parts to make our lights, it would be cool for him to come here to answer our questions.

Grizz

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen anything on the other HDS thread, is it the same old same old with production, 8-10 weeks?

NikoAus

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome!

The spot of the high cri XPG is slightly smaller but it is especially the spill next to the hotspot which is brighter with the 200. I like throwy lights, so am happy with the throw which at least equals the 200. The smoothest beam is from my modded Nichia 219s but they have the least throw although the differences are not huge.

I'm not equipped for proper beamshots. All my pics are iPhone pics. At longer distance you need a proper camera and skills to take subsequent pics with the same settings. Maybe someone else can help?

Thanks a lot!

That was exactly what i wanted to know, no beamshots needed anymore :thumbsup: thank maxbelg and mtn.man!

Its so difficult to dicide between the beautiful color of the high cri and the much more useful layout and runtime of the cool xp-g... i wish henry would make a neutralwhite with the best of both worlds :shrug:

BUT LOVE HIM FOR MAKING SUCH PERFECT LIGHTS!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were to order an EDC Executive 120 right now does anyone know what emitter it would have?
Thanks!

Snareman

Enlightened
If I were to order an EDC Executive 120 right now does anyone know what emitter it would have?
Thanks!

Its probably hard to say since Henry doesn't advertise emitters and by the time he might get around to making your light in a year he might be using different ones. You could call him thought and ask though. He seems open to talking about stuff on the phone.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its so difficult to dicide between the beautiful color of the high cri and the much more useful layout and runtime of the cool xp-g...
I'm not sure what you mean by "more useful layout", and HDS guarantees you'll get at least the stated runtime whichever emitter you choose. The only difference between high CRI and cool white is maximum output and tint. The lights should otherwise be identical.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its probably hard to say since Henry doesn't advertise emitters and by the time he might get around to making your light in a year he might be using different ones. You could call him thought and ask though. He seems open to talking about stuff on the phone.
A year? I thought that was only if you ordered a custom one.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its so difficult to dicide between the beautiful color of the high cri and the much more useful layout and runtime of the cool xp-g... i wish henry would make a neutralwhite with the best of both worlds :shrug:
That depends on what you really wanted, or needed. I am personally a HCRI lover but I love the cool white rotary too. Personally, I find the cool white rotary more useful for urban usage where walls are white. I only use the HCRI rotary when out trekking in the woods and when there is not much of light pollution from other light sources. In the woods, the HCRI is really king since it brings out the additional contrast and depth perception on whatever I shined the light on. But in an urban environment the rather warm tint of the HCRI could make certain things look too warm. That's why I prefer the cool white rotary, unless the ambient light is warm of course.

NikoAus

Newly Enlightened
@the.mtn.man:

with layout i meant just the beam pattern; however, the runtimes seems to be diffrent, at least when i compare the data of the Clicky High CRI with the data of the Clicky Executive 200 at hdssystems.com...

@pjandyho:

That depends on what you really wanted, or needed. I am personally a HCRI lover but I love the cool white rotary too. Personally, I find the cool white rotary more useful for urban usage where walls are white. I only use the HCRI rotary when out trekking in the woods and when there is not much of light pollution from other light sources. In the woods, the HCRI is really king since it brings out the additional contrast and depth perception on whatever I shined the light on. But in an urban environment the rather warm tint of the HCRI could make certain things look too warm. That's why I prefer the cool white rotary, unless the ambient light is warm of course.

I love your thread about night trekking with the HDS high cri! :wave:

Since you have both lights and go trekking a lot, what is your opinion on the different beam patterns of the cool and the high cri? I could imagine that a small beam with little spill (like maxbelg said above) isnt perfect for walking in forests at night. Or isnt the difference that big?

Big fan of your photos! :kewlpics: ...and the BBQ!^^

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love your thread about night trekking with the HDS high cri! :wave:

Since you have both lights and go trekking a lot, what is your opinion on the different beam patterns of the cool and the high cri? I could imagine that a small beam with little spill (like maxbelg said above) isnt perfect for walking in forests at night. Or isnt the difference that big?

Big fan of your photos! :kewlpics: ...and the BBQ!^^
Thanks! The current crop of High CRI lights uses Cree's XP-G emitters and are totally different from the SSC P4 High CRI emitters that you have seen in the photos. I haven't had a chance to do more photo shots between the two in a real world trekking experience but I will try as and when I can. I don't really see a difference in beam profile between the cool white rotary and high CRI rotary because I haven't really paid any attention to it, but once I get home I will try to spot the difference if there is any. As for walking in the forest, one might be better off with a tighter beam profile since it would be easier to shine through some undergrowth without too much side spill reflecting back into your eyes. This is based own my own observation and preference and does not constitute everyone's opinion. YMMV.

nbp

Flashaholic
The cool 200 and the HI CRI both use the XP-G so the beam patterns will be essentially the same.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cool 200 and the HI CRI both use the XP-G so the beam patterns will be essentially the same.
Hi Nick, the discussion arose because some have reported on having different texturing on the reflector of the high CRI version which resulted in a more narrower beam.

NikoAus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I actually thought, the high cri still had the ssc p4 emitter. Then my question is of course obsolete. Do they really use different reflectors? Wouldnt understand why.

Didnt know the cree high cri output is that much lower than the cool one... then the ssc p4 was the 100 lumens version? :thinking: confusing, wish henry wouldnt be such a pokerface when it comes to the emitters :D

@pjandyho:

would love to see new trekking photos, have such a great atmosphere - still havent closed the firefox tab with the pictures lovecpf

thaugen

Enlightened
In the latest batch of Rotary lights from HDS my HCRI had a low OP reflector and the Rotary 200 had an OP reflector. I could not tell any difference in the beam patterns in use, but the tint on the HCRI is a beautiful warm and the Rotary 200 a nice white.

They are both great lights, but I prefer the HCRI.

Thanks guys!

I actually thought, the high cri still had the ssc p4 emitter. Then my question is of course obsolete. Do they really use different reflectors? Wouldnt understand why.

Didnt know the cree high cri output is that much lower than the cool one... then the ssc p4 was the 100 lumens version? :thinking: confusing, wish henry wouldnt be such a pokerface when it comes to the emitters :D

@pjandyho:

would love to see new trekking photos, have such a great atmosphere - still havent closed the firefox tab with the pictures lovecpf

Status
Not open for further replies.