HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigon

Enlightened
It seems like I can but, am I able to reprogram it to come on in low, double click to medium and triple click to high? Or some other way to come on in low then medium and high?

Will the programming reset when changing the battery? Or would a battery have to be out for 60 seconds to reset the programming?

Yes the programming you apply will remain forever until you do a factory reset..

For example for starters you could program it:

(From off):

Click on: Low, or whatever you program.. ("Dot")
Click-Press-Hold-Release: Maximum, whatever.. ("Dot-Dash")

(From on):

Double-Click: ..("Dot-Dot") Medium, whatever. -Click-Off, or Repeat the Double-Click = Previous mode, or:
Click-Press-Hold-Release: ..("Dot-Dash") Maximum, whatever. -Click-Off, or Double-Click = Previous.
Press-Hold: anytime while on..("Dash") Momentary-Maximum or whatever while holding button down.
Triple-Click: Could be Strobe or Beacon or Max. whatever. Click-off, or goto any of the modes listed above.

-Like the others mentioned it seems a little complicated at first, but becomes totally natural after a few times.

-And don't forget the romantic candle-mode: (click 9 times from off) or for V3 models (click 5 times from off).

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened
Cool, glad you like it even though you can't lego with the 170. As far as I know, on any (non-Rotary) 170 light the tailcap should be able to be opened. Now, it may have a little thread lock and need some persuasion, or even heat, but mine were bare hand operations. You might try wrapping a bunch of rubber bands around the cap and body for more leverage and friction, gave me the edge I needed to unthread a light more than once.

Now, the old pre-Novatac Basic and Ultimate lights were permanently sealed tails. Someone might be able to break in, but I won't even try.

The body is completely compatible between the 120 and 170. The only reason I haven't done so is because the 120 does everything I need from a pocket light at work.

The 170 is an early version and has a sealed tail cap. I was told I could tell by the 4 small holes around the lower edge of the tail cap.

dd56392c7f8f3132fb900360a25a11c9.jpg

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, cool. When you first said this:

It has the old style threads but the tail cap threads on unlike my 170 Golden Dragon.

It sure sounded like you had one in the "Legacy" period. They were 120's in the cool white. Not made very long before the square ACME thread change, though.

jdboy

Enlightened
Oh, cool. When you first said this:

It sure sounded like you had one in the "Legacy" period. They were 120's in the cool white. Not made very long before the square ACME thread change, though.

After re-reading it's obvious that I didn't do a very good job of making myself clear. Still, thanks for trying to wade through my muddled post. I find myself enjoying these older HDS lights more and more.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick heads up...
There's a Ti trit bezel for sale on Ebay, Uk based. It may be our own usdiver, dunno.
P
OOPs, sorry Arch

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were to worry about anything in the design of the holster, it would be the potential of exposing the spare battery to water. I'm sure better minds than mine have already discussed the matter, but I prefer to carry extra batteries in O-ring sealed containers. Otherwise, it's easily the best flashlight holster on planet earth.

Keitho

Enlightened
I agree, gotta be the best "gentleman's carry" holster out there. Not being a gentleman, I do not own one, but aspire to one after finishing school! I tend to carry spare cells in mules, like most hoodlums of my ilk...

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to thank y'all for the information in this thread. I'm a bit over 3 years into my flashaholism and I think the EDC Rotary could be the light I've been looking for all along, the light I would design if I were to make one myself!

I've got an EDC Rotary High CRI 200 on order and am really looking forward to it; again I thank you all for sharing about your experiences with Henry and your lights from him.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to thank y'all for the information in this thread. I'm a bit over 3 years into my flashaholism and I think the EDC Rotary could be the light I've been looking for all along, the light I would design if I were to make one myself!

I've got an EDC Rotary High CRI 200 on order and am really looking forward to it; again I thank you all for sharing about your experiences with Henry and your lights from him.

I hope you love it!

I bought my HDS several years ago and as soon as I tried it out, I lost interest in buying any more lights. That lasted for a couple of years (I can't even guess how much money I saved...). I've started looking at new lights, but I still love my HDS and it's easily my most used light.

I've been admiring the EDC Rotary ever since it came out, but my current EDC satisfies my needs so well that I can't really justify a new one.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
You owe yourself a rotary, maybe a user just to try one out..

Maybe some day. I tend to fiddle with moving parts, so having a Rotary might actually be a bad thing for me. Besides, I value runtime over output and my current light already gives me excellent runtime. I don't even use its max output except to check the battery.

--flatline

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe some day. I tend to fiddle with moving parts, so having a Rotary might actually be a bad thing for me. Besides, I value runtime over output and my current light already gives me excellent runtime. I don't even use its max output except to check the battery.

--flatline

You need a Rotary! Best fidget spinner out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts