HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigon

Enlightened
..Going to be using this light for everyday carry from hiking in the woods to a nightstand home defense light.

Gotta say I agree with Tex. here.. Based on your needs (low light environment) I think the 200 HiCri would be more than enough.
Easily configurable, you could have it start in something low, say 10-15%, which would suit most of your cruisin' needs.
A full burst is a press away as is a defensive strobe (rarely used). You still have another mode you could set to a usable brighter mid-level mode.
You will love the tint and long battery life this way. Great re-sale value also. Think about if your hiking needs warrant a larger 18650 body..

JMHO

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta say I agree with Tex. here.. Based on your needs (low light environment) I think the 200 HiCri would be more than enough.
Easily configurable, you could have it start in something low, say 10-15%, which would suit most of your cruisin' needs.
A full burst is a press away as is a defensive strobe (rarely used). You still have another mode you could set to a usable brighter mid-level mode.
You will love the tint and long battery life this way. Great re-sale value also. Think about if your hiking needs warrant a larger 18650 body..

JMHO
Another for the HiCri, thanks for your input too.

I plan on having the 1CR123 battery tube for edc or during the summer when space is limited. Then I also plan on getting the 18650 battery tube as well during the winter when I need more length with winter gloves. Also nice to have the 18650 battery tube for work as a duty light.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there still a wait for these lights or is Henry all caught up?

Also, does the HiCri have a good balance between spill and throw? Do you think that the HiCri LED would make a good duty light for building searches or other security/LE related tasks?

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I ordered my hi cri rotary just shy of a month ago and it hasent shipped yet so I'd expect a wait somewhere in that area.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Thanks tex for your input. The only reason I was thinking about all the lumens was because of my occupation. I am currently a law enforcement officer in a rural/urban area and all they talk about is more lumens.

Grant it this would be a backup light to my primary light while on duty. would you say that this would do well as a backup light with the HiCri. Gives me enough light to see in a vehicle, search for people in the woods or in a house.

As a backup light I don't know how you could do any better. 200 lumens may not sound like much, given folks bragging about the lumen level of their light. :thinking:
I believe that it would be perfect for searching vehicles. The HiCri element would allow you to see the difference between an off-white or snow white substance. With the lower levels even, there's more than enough light to see what is in your field of view, and color rendering that allows you to see details that you REALLY need to see. These are up close, in your face things that you could absolutely use it for. Searching in the woods? Well, if it's a dense forest and you're not looking 100yds out, well the samy applies. On high you could make out the difference between a bush and the faded camo shirt that your suspect is wearing. White light would drown that out in a heartbeat.

Bottom line: You will NEVER be disappointed with a HDS. You will find that it works for you in ways that you dindn't even consider. As I mentioned before, the 1100lumen monster got put away to use the 200lumen HDS. It's an investment for sure. An investment that pays off in the long run.

O.K. I'm not a LEO. I'm a veteran that knows a few LEO's. Thanks for inquiring about my thoughts, but take it with a grain of salt here. I'm a phone man, not a LEO.

BTW, Thank you for what you do helping to keep folks safe back here at home.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a backup light I don't know how you could do any better. 200 lumens may not sound like much, given folks bragging about the lumen level of their light. :thinking:
I believe that it would be perfect for searching vehicles. The HiCri element would allow you to see the difference between an off-white or snow white substance. With the lower levels even, there's more than enough light to see what is in your field of view, and color rendering that allows you to see details that you REALLY need to see. These are up close, in your face things that you could absolutely use it for. Searching in the woods? Well, if it's a dense forest and you're not looking 100yds out, well the samy applies. On high you could make out the difference between a bush and the faded camo shirt that your suspect is wearing. White light would drown that out in a heartbeat.

Bottom line: You will NEVER be disappointed with a HDS. You will find that it works for you in ways that you dindn't even consider. As I mentioned before, the 1100lumen monster got put away to use the 200lumen HDS. It's an investment for sure. An investment that pays off in the long run.

O.K. I'm not a LEO. I'm a veteran that knows a few LEO's. Thanks for inquiring about my thoughts, but take it with a grain of salt here. I'm a phone man, not a LEO.

BTW, Thank you for what you do helping to keep folks safe back here at home.

Tex thanks again for your useful insight. I think I definitely made a decision here.

So pretty much this has a nice even amount of spill and throw (center hotspot)? I could not find it anywhere on Henry's website, but do you know the run time on high? Also, do you know what the output is when you use the 18650 battery tube?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, just want to make sure I have a lot of information as this is a HUGE investment.

Also, thank you for your service and keeping this country safe/free.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Tex thanks again for your useful insight. I think I definitely made a decision here.

So pretty much this has a nice even amount of spill and throw (center hotspot)? I could not find it anywhere on Henry's website, but do you know the run time on high? Also, do you know what the output is when you use the 18650 battery tube?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, just want to make sure I have a lot of information as this is a HUGE investment.

Also, thank you for your service and keeping this country safe/free.

The output is designed to be the same within a range of voltages, so yes, it is the output from the 18650 battery tube. The one that I have. As for the runtimes...good luck finding them. Even here on CPF its not an easy task. I can tell you what I was considering posting in this thread this evening, and was thinking of how to write it. I have carried it at work for 3 weeks now. Never recharging the battery, or even checking the voltage with the Fluke DMM. I simply picked it up from my dresser as I grabbed all the items that I need to head to work, and put it on my belt. It hasn't failed me in 3 weeks. I use it in attics, under houses, in manholes under the road, etc... I am now charging the battery. I simply didn't think about it for the last 3 weeks. I simply thought "...and the HDS" as I got ready for work.

It will visually let you know if the battery is lowering in voltage. Keep a battery on hand, and there's no reason to doubt it. I'm a fan of HDS for a reason. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with a HDS Rotary 18650 219b HiCri. Although the greatest issue I could resolve with it is determining the colors of cable pairs so I don't mix up a residential account with a business or bank circuit.

Not to mention that people OOOOOH! and AAAAAAAH! when you pull it out! LOL!:crackup:

IMG_20160814_201315_zpsy4frxwxn.jpg

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is designed to be the same within a range of voltages, so yes, it is the output from the 18650 battery tube. The one that I have. As for the runtimes...good luck finding them. Even here on CPF its not an easy task. I can tell you what I was considering posting in this thread this evening, and was thinking of how to write it. I have carried it at work for 3 weeks now. Never recharging the battery, or even checking the voltage with the Fluke DMM. I simply picked it up from my dresser as I grabbed all the items that I need to head to work, and put it on my belt. It hasn't failed me in 3 weeks. I use it in attics, under houses, in manholes under the road, etc... I am now charging the battery. I simply didn't think about it for the last 3 weeks. I simply thought "...and the HDS" as I got ready for work.

It will visually let you know if the battery is lowering in voltage. Keep a battery on hand, and there's no reason to doubt it. I'm a fan of HDS for a reason. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with a HDS Rotary 18650 219b HiCri. Although the greatest issue I could resolve with it is determining the colors of cable pairs so I don't mix up a residential account with a business or bank circuit.

Well that is great to hear. I plan on getting the CR123 model plus the 18650 tube so i can change them out for my needs when I need them.

Is there a hotspot on the HiCri with an even amount of spill or is it all spill? I know the elzetta line has a model where it is all spill and no hotspot. Just curious if the HiCri is like that as well or if there is a slight hotspot.

Last edited:

tex.proud

Enlightened
Well that is great to hear. I plan on getting the CR123 model plus the 18650 tube so i can change them out for my needs when I need them.

Is there a hotspot on the HiCri with an even amount of spill or is it all spill? I know the elzetta line has a model where it is all spill and no hotspot. Just curious if the HiCri is like that as well or if there is a slight hotspot.

It's a spot with a smoothe transition to corona and spill. This Link may or may not properly show the beam pattern of it. I look at it and see a simple representation of what I can see on my own ceiling, but it's not exactly a perfect representation. It's the beam on the right.

And watch the video linked to in that post.

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a spot with a smoothe transition to corona and spill. This Link may or may not properly show the beam pattern of it. I look at it and see a simple representation of what I can see on my own ceiling, but it's not exactly a perfect representation. It's the beam on the right.

Ok perfect!! Just want to make sure that there is somewhat a hotspot to gain compliance on a suspect.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I ordered the 1 CR123 HDS LE clicky with the 200 lumen HiCri, and flush button switch. Then also ordered the 18650 battery tube with the raised switch. Now time for the wait. UGH....

Anyways, thanks Tex for all your help all other CPF members. Definitely help make this decision a whole easier.

tex.proud

Enlightened
So, I ordered the 1 CR123 HDS LE clicky with the 200 lumen HiCri, and flush button switch. Then also ordered the 18650 battery tube with the raised switch. Now time for the wait. UGH....

Anyways, thanks Tex for all your help all other CPF members. Definitely help make this decision a whole easier.

I appreciate the props, but you know all full and well that the HDS sold itself. I can honestly say that you will be impressed! Let me know what you think of it after a bit of use. I'd love to hear that you have had the same experience as me.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the props, but you know all full and well that the HDS sold itself. I can honestly say that you will be impressed! Let me know what you think of it after a bit of use. I'd love to hear that you have had the same experience as me.

I definitely will let you know my experiences with it. Can't wait to get it.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you consider just ordering a 2nd light and having a second light option considering the cost of just the tube?

Probably waaaaaay later down the road. Need to sell a couple more lights to fund that

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email from HEnry and he said it would take two weeks. A lot less than I thought. Looking forward to getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts